Audeze LCD-X
Mar 24, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #6,226 of 12,748
When I bought my LCD-X about 4 months ago, I "obviously" got the leather package because who in their right mind would think to get their new Porsche 911 Turbo Carerra with the velour seat package rather than leather. I don't seem to have the leather discomfort issues others mention here, and the leather to me just looks classier. But reading recent posts about Lohb's suspension strap piqued my interest, so I just ordered one from him to see for myself what all the rave reviews are about.

And that got me thinking about the vegan pads too, so maybe I'll pick up a set to try out if the strap is an improvement.

So my question to those who bought the vegan system from the beginning, what made you do so, and do you have any regrets?

To those who have "downgraded" (really "upgraded"?) from leather to the vegan pads, what made you do so, and what are the benefits you've noticed? Give me some solid reasons to convert.

Thanks for the consideration.

DSN

mmm... yea the leather looks nicer. your ears get hotter & sweater under the leather pads if you live in a warm climate.

the velour feels nicer. it is a lot more breathable & your ears never get hot or sweaty.

really just depends what is more important to you.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #6,227 of 12,748
mmm... yea the leather looks nicer. your ears get hotter & sweater under the leather pads if you live in a warm climate.

the velour feels nicer. it is a lot more breathable & your ears never get hot or sweaty.

really just depends what is more important to you.

I live in a bloody, hot and humid state, thus I will have go for the velour pads. Thanks for the heads up.

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #6,228 of 12,748
i am totally confused when u say that the audeze x is neutral compared to lcd3, i thought the audeze lcd x has more bass than the lcd3

Which one meets all the points i look for in a headphone from audeze

1- great bass, with oomph
2- warm
3- no shouty highs
4- rich full layered sound

I am considering upgrading from lcd2 and I was thinking about lcd x, or lcd xc

i listen mostly to synthpop, metal, pop and electronic music

Mar 24, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #6,230 of 12,748
i am totally confused when u say that the audeze x is neutral compared to lcd3, i thought the audeze lcd x has more bass than the lcd3

Which one meets all the points i look for in a headphone from audeze

1- great bass, with oomph
2- warm
3- no shouty highs
4- rich full layered sound

I am considering upgrading from lcd2 and I was thinking about lcd x, or lcd xc

i listen mostly to synthpop, metal, pop and electronic music

All the headphones have exactly that which you want. For that reason, go with the lcd-2 because it's already great and it gives you room to move in future. It also costs the least.

I believe the lcd x bass extends deeper but lcd 3 may have more mid bass. Both are strong in both departments. There's only differences in side by side comparisons. You can't lose with either.

Mar 24, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #6,231 of 12,748
All the headphones have exactly that which you want. For that reason, go with the lcd-2 because it's already great and it gives you room to move in future. It also costs the least.

I believe the lcd x bass extends deeper but lcd 3 may have more mid bass. Both are strong in both departments. There's only differences in side by side comparisons. You can't lose with either.

I agree that all the headphones in LCD series will match your stated general criteria. They all have a rich full layered warm sound with no shouty highs. Audeze headphones on the darker side of neutral, so should give you the bass oomph you desire.

I personally don't think the LCD-X or the LCD-3 is more neutral than the other. Both have the unique coloration of the Audeze house sound. Their sound signatures are actually extremely close. I do think that the LCD-X does have a more bass quantity and better bass quality while the LCD-3 has a more mid-focus.

I totally agree you can't really go wrong with either option. I would suggest personally demoing both side-by-side and seeing which one you prefer. While the LCD-XC is an excellent closed pair of headphones, I think that the benefits of the open design with superior sound stage make open options more appealing for me unless requiring noise isolation.

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #6,232 of 12,748
LCD-X  does have more bass than the 3, but I can't quite remember how it compares to the 2, as I never had a chance to listen to them side by side.  I'm willing to bed LCD-X and pre-fazor 2 are close.  LCD-X also has more mid-treble compared to the 2 and 3, which are both slightly mid-centric.

LCD-XC seems to have the most bass, and it's a pressurized type of closed headphone bass, but it's also the only LCD with shouty mids with an emphasis in the 2khz range.

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #6,233 of 12,748
Vegan pads and headband all the way, on both my LCD-X and XC... never show wear and look better in my opinion, more open sound, and much more comfortable with less head and ear hot spots.  Been using them this way over a year now and I won't be going back to the leather set anytime soon.  Am considering the after-market strap but really wishing audeze would step up and make an official version of one for a perfect match, but then again the price would reflect that.  Might pull the trigger on the one mentioned here soon if they don't release the LCD-Z soon.  That is kind of holding up a number of my purchase thoughts at the moment.  Really want to see if they solve the weight and comfort issues while improving the sound on the LCD-Z and would be willing to shell out big time 2 amps and 2 pair one closed one open if so.

Mar 24, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #6,234 of 12,748
You guys are a terrible influence on me. LOL  

I went ahead and purchased the vegan ear pads today along with the longer Yokes to make sure I have enough space with the new strap. And I have to again say how helpful Audeze is. Amazing customer service. Even though their prices are high, you get great service. It feels like buying a top-of-the-line Lexus or Mercedes. Great service.

And on another note the Woo Audio double headphone stand arrived today. It is a spectacular looking stand. It is also very functional. Holds two headphones very nicely. I like that it holds them up high enough that the connectors don't hit the desk any longer. Now my LCD–X headphones look even better.

So does anybody know if this LCD-Z is really supposed to come out, or is it just conjecture. Is there anything known about it at all? Is it supposed to be even better than the X?

Mar 24, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #6,235 of 12,748
You guys are a terrible influence on me. LOL  

I went ahead and purchased the vegan ear pads today along with the longer Yokes to make sure I have enough space with the new strap. And I have to again say how helpful Audeze is. Amazing customer service. Even though their prices are high, you get great service. It feels like buying a top-of-the-line Lexus or Mercedes. Great service.

And on another note the Woo Audio double headphone stand arrived today. It is a spectacular looking stand. It is also very functional. Holds two headphones very nicely. I like that it holds them up high enough that the connectors don't hit the desk any longer. Now my LCD–X headphones look even better.

So does anybody know if this LCD-Z is really supposed to come out, or is it just conjecture. Is there anything known about it at all? Is it supposed to be even better than the X?

audeze is stilll working on el8 stuff, so prob not for a while at leat

Mar 25, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #6,236 of 12,748
Woohoo, got mine back from Audeze today. They replaced both drivers and attached new pads. Excellent customer service!

As stupid as it sounds I'm rather proud to support companies like Audeze and Schiit. It is rare to come across companies doing the right thing these days. I'll make sure to give them additional access to my wallet down the road. I'm just thankful to be back in my state of headphone nirvana.

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #6,237 of 12,748
Just received my LCD-X.   Opening the box :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back