Audeze LCD-X
Jun 2, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #4,261 of 12,748
Maybe I'm totally thick here but I only want to buy after market cables for sound quality,I don't understand comfort and design as it's the headphone sitting on my head not the cables so I can't see how comfort makes any difference being just a cable

I hear you - I too bought them for sound improvement however I have a hard time hearing material differences.  Perhaps my ears are untrained but unlike some others I didn't have an epiphany when I plugged in these cables (or when I have tried a variety of others).  Again, individual mileage may vary but I do enjoy the cables for a variety of reasons.  I'd rather others be pleasantly surprised than sadly disappointed based on a review.  Perhaps I need more time listening and comparing.  

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #4,262 of 12,748
Maybe I'm totally thick here but I only want to buy after market cables for sound quality,I don't understand comfort and design as it's the headphone sitting on my head not the cables so I can't see how comfort makes any difference being just a cable

cables and sound quality is a contentious topic, the debate will rage on and with no definitive answer.
the main things i look for are being well built, nothing to degrade the sound, which to me, the biggest issue with any cable i have used, is microphonics , i do tend to stay away from any type cable that claims "night and day" or "revelation" type of improvements , i'm know their are others that feel more strongly to either side of my somewhat (i feel) middle of the road approach, 
other than that, i want my preferred length, and relatively flexible, thats about it !

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #4,263 of 12,748
Thanks for your opinions on the after market cables.Im going down to hifi lounge this week to demo the lcd x the lcd 3 the abyss and the McIntosh new headphone amp and dac,he got the stax sr 900 so I'll have a listen to them as well,it's a toss between the lcd x or lcd 3 but be nice to hear the other headphones,listen to how the other half live

Jun 2, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #4,264 of 12,748
I had a great comparison of the LCD 3 and LCD X Sunday at the Dallas meet. I had both plugged into my two jack beta 22 amp for 1/2 hour +. The LCD3 was upgraded by Audeze about a year ago. The LCD3 took move volume to drive. The b22 had no trouble driving either.

In my opinion:

o Both are excellent headphone, among the best I have ever heard. The LCD3 was smoother with a fuller sound. The LCD 3 is warmer, but not base heavy. It is almost like listening on a good tube amp even thought the b22 is solid state. Although not base heavy, I seem to be able to "feel" the base like I do with speakers.

o The LCDX was excellent; more accurate with a more balanced upper end.

o The LCD3 is my favorate. If I yearn for accuracy, I will use my HD800. If I want top end, I will use my T1. (Note, I am not saying all T1s have a lot of high end, but the T1 I currently own does, SN 14XXX.)

o If I could only buy one quality headphone, of the two I would buy the LCDX. The sound is outstanding and it more accurately covers the full spectrum.

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #4,265 of 12,748
I had a great comparison of the LCD 3 and LCD X Sunday at the Dallas meet. I had both plugged into my two jack beta 22 amp for 1/2 hour +. The LCD3 was upgraded by Audeze about a year ago. The LCD3 took move volume to drive. The b22 had no trouble driving either.

In my opinion:

o Both are excellent headphone, among the best I have ever heard. The LCD3 was smoother with a fuller sound. The LCD 3 is warmer, but not base heavy. It is almost like listening on a good tube amp even thought the b22 is solid state. Although not base heavy, I seem to be able to "feel" the base like I do with speakers.

o The LCD3 is my favorate. If I yearn for accuracy, I will use my HD800. If I want top end, I will use my T1. (Note, I am not saying all T1s have a lot of high end, but the T1 I currently own does, SN 14XXX.)

o If I could only buy one quality headphone, of the two I would buy the LCDX. The sound is outstanding and it more accurately covers the full spectrum.
Great post mate but you said the lcd 3 is your favourite so why the lcd x? I personally think that whatever is technically better means nothing if your ears enjoy the other so much more mate

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #4,266 of 12,748

In my opinion:

I own the LCD-X and T1 and Used to use the HD -800. I totally agree with your analysis , I also think both the T1 and LCDX repay long term listening and reveal their great strengths if you do this. I find the LCD3 a bit warm, they're not as fast as the X. They're all great phones when they play to their strengths. But I totally agree that the Xs are keepers!

Jun 2, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #4,267 of 12,748

In my opinion:

A few weeks ago I spent two hours demoing the LCD-X against the newest LCD-3. I find your analysis to be spot on. I thought the X was probably more neutral and ultimately a bit more transparent. After two hours of going back and forth I ended up with the 3 because I just liked it better. But it was so close, I am certain I could have taken the X and been totally enamored also. They are both fantastic. The 3 is a bit richer and fuller, the X a bit more dynamic and less colored. 

I do think the differences between the 3 and X gets overplayed though. To me they still bear more than just a small family resemblance and are more similar than not.

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #4,268 of 12,748
Does anyone recommend after market cables for the lcd x? Silver or copper etc

I think maybe silver. I have a copper which is Jena but I prefer my labkable silver/gold(1%), the sound is a little bit thicker and fuller while the copper the opposite while having a better timbre on the vocals for me.

I have an alo silver/copper for hd800 and will reterminate it for the X. I'll let you know the outcome but so far ime, a very good quality silver sound best for me using Null audio silver cable.

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #4,269 of 12,748
I emailed audeze asking when the next top of the range headphone will be out and got a supporting rep email me back saying i don't really have a clue about anything but we always try to improve our products,not the answer i was looking for.Emailed back and said I want the owners to email me and if not I'll design my own and put the company out of business as I'll sell my headphones with little profit and under cut them all.Most of my technical design is patent pending but one of the design features that I can share with you is four very Sharp spikes facing the listener coming out of the ear pads to reduce vibration

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #4,270 of 12,748
I emailed audeze asking when the next top of the range headphone will be out and got a supporting rep email me back saying i don't really have a clue about anything but we always try to improve our products,not the answer i was looking for

i believe manufacturers would usually try to keep as mum about possible about new product releases , especially when new models are still relatively new as not to hurt current sales.
i'm just guessing though

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #4,271 of 12,748
i believe manufacturers would usually try to keep as mum about possible about new product releases , especially when new models are still relatively new as not to hurt current sales.
i'm just guessing though
Very true mate

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #4,272 of 12,748

Does anyone recommend after market cables for the lcd x? Silver or copper etc

I think maybe silver. I have a copper which is Jena but I prefer my labkable silver/gold(1%), the sound is a little bit thicker and fuller while the copper the opposite while having a better timbre on the vocals for me.

I have an alo silver/copper for hd800 and will reterminate it for the X. I'll let you know the outcome but so far ime, a very good quality silver sound best for me using Null audio silver cable.

Silver/gold(1%) sounds quite different from pure silver, that 1% added gold (impurity as some alloy-hating purists call it) do change the sound signature more than 1%. I think Hifi Nutter was referring to pure copper and silver in his question, and just because you felt silver/gold was better than pure copper doesn't mean that the same could be said if it were pure silver.

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #4,273 of 12,748

i'm just guessing though

You're taking that post and the originator far too seriously. Of course Audeze arent going to tell mere mortals like ourselves what they've got in the pipeline - I have to wonder if Schiit cannibalized their own sales by announcing the Yggdrasil/Ragnarok way before either was ready to ship. They have the advantage of a large range of products across different price brackets - Audeze have 4 expensive headphones ..... 

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #4,274 of 12,748
Silver/gold(1%) sounds quite different from pure silver, that 1% added gold (impurity as some alloy-hating purists call it) do change the sound signature more than 1%.

-Just how, in your experience, does the sound signature change when substituting pure silver for a silver/gold alloy?

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #4,275 of 12,748
You're taking that post and the originator far too seriously. Of course Audeze arent going to tell mere mortals like ourselves what they've got in the pipeline - I have to wonder if Schiit cannibalized their own sales by announcing the Yggdrasil/Ragnarok way before either was ready to ship. They have the advantage of a large range of products across different price brackets - Audeze have 4 expensive headphones ..... 
Audeze are bringing out a cheaper range as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back