Audeze LCD-X
Feb 18, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #3,152 of 12,748
I've been doing some buying and selling lately (selling 5 pair of headphones, buying 2 new pair, but spending more than I got for the sales).

The new, smaller but improved collection of full-sized phones I currently own now consists of the LCD-X, the TH-900 and the HD800.  And of course, the most listening time lately has been with the LCD-X.  A lot of the classical and jazz recordings that I always used to listen to on the HD800 are sounding great, and sometimes better than ever on the LCD-X.  

I do like some bass impact with my older rock recordings (Rush, ELP, King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, etc.) so the TH-900s are definitely here to stay.

Actually, all three are here to stay for now, but if I had to unload one more pair right now, I think it would have to be the HD-800.  I'm sure that somewhere in my music library, there is something that will be better on the HD800 than on the LCD-X, but I haven't found it yet.

I'm listening to tracks from Sting's "The Last Ship" tonight on the LCD-X; these headphones are amazing.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #3,153 of 12,748
One of the things I love about these is that they perform extraordinarily well at low volume levels. I keep finding myself turning the volume down, and down. Amazing. 

I already listen at low volume levels. Everyone who listens to my gear turns the volume up significantly so this is high praise indeed :)

I never thought I would find myself recommending anyone to buy a pair of 1700 dollar headphones for any reason hehe. But these I would have no problem doing that.

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #3,155 of 12,748
  One of the things I love about these is that they perform extraordinarily well at low volume levels. I keep finding myself turning the volume down, and down. Amazing. 

I already listen at low volume levels. Everyone who listens to my gear turns the volume up significantly so this is high praise indeed :)

I never thought I would find myself recommending anyone to buy a pair of 1700 dollar headphones for any reason hehe. But these I would have no problem doing that.

Agree for sure. That's a big difference between these and the LCD-2s (one of many)...the Xs definitely sound good even at lower volumes. I also agree about the price. The law of diminishing returns seems to kick in with headphones once you break that $1k mark, and I really figured that the Xs wouldn't be worth the premium over the 2s. But in this case it's more than just a marginal improvement...it's a better headphone in every way that I've been able to tell. The only area I can really give the nod to the 2s would be with aesthetics, cause I really love the way the bamboo looks. But aside from that, the X is worth every single penny. 

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #3,156 of 12,748
Looks? At first I thought the wood looked better too.. But the black anodised had really grown on me. I think it looks classier, more upmarket. Sennheiser could learn a trick from Audeze in this regard!

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #3,157 of 12,748
Looks? At first I thought the wood looked better too.. But the black anodised had really grown on me. I think it looks classier, more upmarket. Sennheiser could learn a trick from Audeze in this regard!

I think Sennheiser is starting to feel the heat from these new upstarts now...

The LCD-2 had a fairly home grown vibe to it, but the LCD-X has turned out to be a genuine HD800 contender it seems like.

Now - if Audeze was to release a $500 version to compete with the HD650... that would be something...

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #3,161 of 12,748
I just want to say that all this LCD-X being awesome talk has me jumping around in my seat giddy like a kid. I really want one and I can't wait to get them. The LCD-2 is great with everything I throw at it. I don't listen to classical music so that aside everything rocks with it. I can see the LCD-X being my one can for a long, long time.

When I bought my LCD-2 at the end of 2011, I contemplated getting the LCD-3. The Schitt stack wasn't out at the time so all amps and DACs compatible were very pricey. Total price would have been around $5000 or more compared to paying $3000 for the LCD-2 system. I said I would save money and wait until the LCD-4 came out to upgrade. Well, it's not out yet but the next Audeze is and I am glad I did wait.
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #3,162 of 12,748
To my ears, lcd-x was very good with classical and movie soundtracks (after a few demos at my local store with various amp/dac). However playing vocal, it seem that the mid was a bit too forward for my taste (even with a laid back amp such as soloist).

I'm wondering whether there're production variation where the mids are not too forward?

I think so too about midrange. I've been listening LCD-X for about a week now (after few weeks of burn-in) and comparing it to Beyerdynamic T1. Since Björk was mentioned, can't listen to that at all, midrange is too "shouty" like there is a narrow peak at some frequency. In general, I think the sound is a little more dry and grainy than with T1, but overall frequency balance is better with LCD-X. T1 is too bright.

I'm really disappointed since I had high expectations. Amp is Graham Slee Solo ULD which should be neutral and I hear similar midrange problems with HRT Microstreamer.

Any ideas? Is it my ears and sensitivity to midrange or could it be a technical problem?

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #3,163 of 12,748
with the rate Audeze and Hifiman release new products, anyone think a LCD4 or LCD XXX could be around the corner?  
I'm tempted to get the LCD X but would hate to buy it knowing something newer (and of course we all know that automatically means better
rolleyes.gif
)  was coming out in the not so distant future,
its a character flaw I have.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #3,164 of 12,748
My LCD X has arrived and I am letting them "warm up" after coming in from the cold Fed Ex truck. I did receive both sets of cables with mine so apparently Audeze now has the balanced cable back in stock. Listen in and comparing to my LCD 2 rev. 2 will begin shortly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back