Audeze LCD-X
Feb 18, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #3,136 of 12,748
Which amp is best?

It's what you prefer sonically... You like a warmer feel/tone? Buy a warmer amp. You like a super/clear tone? Buy a super clean amp. These phones allow you to insert the signature that you want, because they're transparent.... I haven't heard the Mjolnir, but I reckon it'll get on my nerves as I don't like my sound too bright, but I'm veering to a Woo, as they're transparent for a valve amp, but not harsh to my ears.

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #3,137 of 12,748

Here's my take in a nutshell. The Gungnir/Mjolnir is an ideal chain to power the LCD-2s and is very good, but less than ideal, for driving the LCD-Xs. Even so, the LCD-Xs out of the Gungnir/Mjolnir are markedly superior to the LCD-2s out of the same rig.

intesting indeed, thanks for your impression it hold alot of water considering you owned the stuff you are talking about.

I've been thinking of the LCD X all day today. I might have to part with the he500, lcd2.2 and hd650 to make it work financially and wondering if I should do it.
Im thinking of keeping the hd800 around for classical/film score unless the LCD X can bump those off also.

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #3,138 of 12,748
  intesting indeed, thanks for your impression it hold alot of water considering you owned the stuff you are talking about.

I've been thinking of the LCD X all day today. I might have to part with the he500, lcd2.2 and hd650 to make it work financially and wondering if I should do it.
Im thinking of keeping the hd800 around for classical/film score unless the LCD X can bump those off also.

i used to have an lcd-3 and a hd650 senn  and when i had it - i always think about of getting the hd800.

i sold the lcd-3 and hd650 -  and  now have an LCD-X , i dont even think about buying the hd800 anymore , i can live with 1 pair of cans 
but of course it depends on system to system but in mine  i am extremely happy with the lcd-x .

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #3,139 of 12,748

i used to have an lcd-3 and a hd650 senn  and when i had it - i always think about of getting the hd800.

i sold the lcd-3 and hd650 -  and  now have an LCD-X , i dont even think about buying the hd800 anymore , i can live with 1 pair of cans 
but of course it depends on system to system but in mine  i am extremely happy with the lcd-x .

I also sold the LCD-3 for the LCD-X and it is a MAJOR improvement on every level.  More of everything, particularly resolution and much less of a DARK tone without a hint of any high frequency problems (sibilance, edginess, over the top brightness, etc.).

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #3,140 of 12,748

I would agree LCD-X and HD-800 could be the keepers. 

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #3,141 of 12,748
To my ears, lcd-x was very good with classical and movie soundtracks (after a few demos at my local store with various amp/dac). However playing vocal, it seem that the mid was a bit too forward for my taste (even with a laid back amp such as soloist).

I'm wondering whether there're production variation where the mids are not too forward?

Feb 18, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #3,143 of 12,748
To my ears, lcd-x was very good with classical and movie soundtracks (after a few demos at my local store with various amp/dac). However playing vocal, it seem that the mid was a bit too forward for my taste (even with a laid back amp such as soloist).

I'm wondering whether there're production variation where the mids are not too forward?

Some have complained of mids too recessed...others have complained of mids too forward.  To me the mids sound just right.

Feb 18, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #3,144 of 12,748
I also sold the LCD-3 for the LCD-X and it is a MAJOR improvement on every level.  More of everything, particularly resolution and much less of a DARK tone without a hint of any high frequency problems (sibilance, edginess, over the top brightness, etc.).

I have to say the LCD-X is sounding more and more tempting the more I read about it.

I've struggled to like the LCD-2/3 because to me they felt to closed in, dark and somehow "overbearing" in their sound signature.

If the LCD-X is more open, airy and clear it could be just what the doctor ordered!

Feb 18, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #3,145 of 12,748

I have to say the LCD-X is sounding more and more tempting the more I read about it.

I've struggled to like the LCD-2/3 because to me they felt to closed in, dark and somehow "overbearing" in their sound signature.

If the LCD-X is more open, airy and clear it could be just what the doctor ordered!

The doctor is right!

Feb 18, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #3,146 of 12,748

I upgraded from HD650 to LCD-X recently and during the research phase before the upgrade, I tested all the phones that you mentioned.  My initial decision was to purchase both the LCD-X (LCD-2 and LCD-3 are too thick/dark sounding for me) and the HD-800; took a leap of faith on the LCD-X based on the feedbacks here since it was the only headphone that I was unable to demo.

After living with the LCD-X for a couple of months, I have decided that I don't need to get HD-800 for classical musics anymore, as the LCD-X is doing a dang fine job with the genre.  Definitely go for the X...

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #3,149 of 12,748
  There is the LCD-X and then there is everything else I used to care about.

Same here, but I HATE that I feel that way lol. I feel like I'm having to make excuses for my other headphones...I feel bad reaching for the Xs all the time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back