Audeze LCD-X
Dec 30, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #2,417 of 12,748

IIRC, I read the V200 has a small but deep soundstage.
I bet the SA-31 is more expansive (but with less height, probably).

I would say the soundstage is average on the V200 but works well with the HD-800, didn't get to try it with the LCD-3.  The V200 on HD800 was silky smooth and non fatiguing but lacked some of the snap and texture of the Soloist.  Although the SA-31 was great with the LCD-3, I preferred the Mjolnir for the LCD-3 but that could be the opposite with the LCD-X given it's alleged better neutrality.  The thing to keep in mind about the SA-31 is it is an intentionally colored amp.  Not in the sense of it being very warm, but the topology artificially enhances the grandeur of the soundstage as well as adding a very small amount of "pleasant" harmonics, similar to some tubes but without sounding slow or muddy in any way.

This effect works well with the Audeze, especially portraying scale and dynamics with classical but is almost excessive and distant sounding with the HD-800.  I preferred the Soloist's more focused and accurate soundstage with it myself.  The Mjolnir was far too forward and aggressive with the HD800 for my taste, almost painfully so.  I should have a chance to audition the LCD-X though before deciding to buy.  I plan to compare it directly to K812 and HD800, and maybe throw in the HE-500 and HD-700 as more affordable wildcards.  Probably wont happen until mid February though.  As a frame of reference the only Audeze I've previously owned was the R1 LCD-2 which does some things amazingly but was ultimately far too rolled off for me and suffered from a certain flatness of soundstage that I've come to associate with planars in general.  I can get transparency out of say, the HE-6 when I had it, but I can never seem to get a sense of depth from planars, like even affordable dynamics.  If the LCD-X does that for me, I'm all in 
smily_headphones1.gif

<sarcasm>
I understand that you don't have the time to read all the pages... good thing we all have the time to recapitulate all the relevant details for you.

The potential weaknesses are that if you listen too long, you could die.  Other than that, it's perfect.
</sarcasm>

What are you comparing to?  It's brighter and more neutral than LCD-2, warmer than HD 800, and awesome.

Well that narrows it down a lot 
wink_face.gif

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #2,418 of 12,748

The Mjolnir isn't a bad choice for the LCD-X, but it does have it's own signature. There's no harshness in the upper registers, but there is a lot of detail. There's some tradeoff of thicker mids for an airy sound. I don't think you're going to find an amp with a larger soundstage, but there's a tradeoff. If the LCD-3 is your signature, the LCD-X moves away from that mid-centric lushness, and the Mjolnir keep pushing in the same direction. I think the Mjolnir pairs with the LCD-2>LCD-3>LCD-X.

I'd like to find a neutral amp with a large soundstage, and very tight control over the LCD-X, that adds a little richness in the mids for less than $1000. That doesn't seem unreasonable given the LCD-X's efficiency.

The Geek Pulse sounds interesting--have any prototypes been reviewed (with direct comparisons)? You can probably expect a very good DAC with a good amp circuit--may be just fine for the LCD-X.

I had a Yulong A18 amp about a year back before selling it off. I think it would have paired perfectly with the LCD-X. Broad and deep soundstage, great imaging and lots of clarity and detail without ever sounding harsh. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #2,419 of 12,748

I had a Yulong A18 amp about a year back before selling it off. I think it would have paired perfectly with the LCD-X. Broad and deep soundstage, great imaging and lots of clarity and detail without ever sounding harsh. 

Thanks, will look out for the A18. I'm also looking for an amp that's more versatile than the Mjolnir-- which is more suited to warm dark headphones. Basically, a GS-X mkII-like sound for less than $1000.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #2,420 of 12,748

Thanks, will look out for the A18. I'm also looking for an amp that's more versatile than the Mjolnir-- which is more suited to warm dark headphones. Basically, a GS-X mkII-like sound for less than $1000.

How about the Lake People GS-109. Heard it a while back. It was pretty clear, transparent and had a well balanced sound with a hint of warmth ( a very small hint).

Link:

http://www.lake-people.de/index.php?id=2&lang=eng&typ=3&nr=g109p

Thread on Head-fi:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620082/lake-people-g109-g103-thread

It's about $500 for the balanced version. My friend had it tethered to a Linear Power Supply and it sounded brilliant with his HD650 and LCD 2.1.

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #2,424 of 12,748

The Mjolnir isn't a bad choice for the LCD-X, but it does have it's own signature. There's no harshness in the upper registers, but there is a lot of detail. There's some tradeoff of thicker mids for an airy sound. I don't think you're going to find an amp with a larger soundstage, but there's a tradeoff. If the LCD-3 is your signature, the LCD-X moves away from that mid-centric lushness, and the Mjolnir keep pushing in the same direction. I think the Mjolnir pairs with the LCD-2>LCD-3>LCD-X.

I'd like to find a neutral amp with a large soundstage, and very tight control over the LCD-X, that adds a little richness in the mids for less than $1000. That doesn't seem unreasonable given the LCD-X's efficiency.

The Geek Pulse sounds interesting--have any prototypes been reviewed (with direct comparisons)? You can probably expect a very good DAC with a good amp circuit--may be just fine for the LCD-X.

That mid range lushness or thickness you hear from LCD3+Mjolnir pairing comes from the LCD3, not from the mostly neutral Mjolnir.
Audeze has bottomless bass but their treble is wanting compared to Grado or German stuff like AKG & Beyerdynamic.
However I find the pairing of warm tube like Alo Studio 6 with trebly phones like Grado produces a very lively, balanced presentation.
I listened to PS1000 powered by Alo 6 with Marantz CD6003 source, and the result is better than warmish HD800 (powered by the same Alo/Marantz system).

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #2,425 of 12,748

That mid range lushness or thickness you hear from LCD3+Mjolnir pairing comes from the LCD3, not from the mostly neutral Mjolnir.
Audeze has bottomless bass but their treble is wanting compared to Grado or German stuff like AKG & Beyerdynamic...

I think you misread my post. The Mjolnir is a forward/slightly bright amp. In fact, it tempers some of the LCD-3's midcentric, lush character.

For me, the tizzy treble in Beyers, Grados, and AKGs sounds unrefined and unpleasant. Maybe I haven't heard them with the right amps. I find the LCD-X treble detailed, coherent, and well integrated into the overall spectrum without sounding strident or harsh.

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #2,426 of 12,748

I think you misread my post. The Mjolnir is a forward/slightly bright amp. In fact, it tempers some of the LCD-3's midcentric, lush character.

For me, the tizzy treble in Beyers, Grados, and AKGs sounds unrefined and unpleasant. Maybe I haven't heard them with the right amps. I find the LCD-X treble detailed, coherent, and well integrated into the overall spectrum without sounding strident or harsh.

Some AKG & Grado models may have some unrefined treble, but Beyer? 
Have you tried PS1000? Grado is perfect for classic rock.
I own AKG 550, and yes, those can be very trebly. But paired with
the right amp, the 550 is a very good bargain and have a sizable soundstage.

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #2,427 of 12,748

Yup, I've been using the A18 with my LCD-X's for the last couple of weeks and it's exactly as you've described, at least with the balanced out.  With single ended, you lose a bit of the soundstage width and depth.  Though with either route, it's a pleasant pairing for my ears so far.

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #2,428 of 12,748
Just a quick update to all those that helped me when deciding on the lcd-x. I ended up ordering a wa7 and burson audio conductor to test my X out. I couldn't decide if i wanted tube or SS. I gave them both about 2 days time of listening and the Burson audio conductor was the easy choice. I am very very happy with the burson/audeze pairing. My poor desktop speakers are getting cold now :) thanks to everyone on here for the help!

Dec 31, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #2,429 of 12,748
Beyer T1 is not tizzy or unrefined with the right amp. Unfortunately the ps1000 is horribly bright and grainy regardless of amp, its one of the worst headphones ive heard and it cost me the most as well.

Dec 31, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #2,430 of 12,748
  Just a quick update to all those that helped me when deciding on the lcd-x. I ended up ordering a wa7 and burson audio conductor to test my X out. I couldn't decide if i wanted tube or SS. I gave them both about 2 days time of listening and the Burson audio conductor was the easy choice. I am very very happy with the burson/audeze pairing. My poor desktop speakers are getting cold now :) thanks to everyone on here for the help!

I love the Burson Conductor with my LCD-2.2's, I'm sure the pairing with the LCD-X must be sensational!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back