Audeze LCD-X
Dec 29, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #2,386 of 12,748
one of the GREAT things about the LCD-X is the increased efficiency! So you have an almost endless path of amps for the magic cans.

Lately I've been using the following:

Desktop:
E.A.R HP4
ALO Studio Six
(both have far more power than you need, but I like headroom)

Portable:
ALO Pan Am w/ Passport battery pack
CEntrance HiFi-M8
HRT microStreamer
Mytek Stereo-192 DSD DAC (utilizing the headphone amp output).

I personally love the CEntrance HiFi-M8 w/ the LCD-X!
mikemercer, nice rig. Are you using the LCD-X's with their supplied cables, and have you thought about going with some dragons or something else? How would you describe the sound of your "X's" using the CEntrance HiFi-M8? Thanks.

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #2,389 of 12,748
... well spoken! Good to know there are others around valuing vinyl besides high-res digital...

I set up my first turntable in 15 years over the X-mas holiday.  Just a Pro Ject Debut III with the stock Ortofon OM5e.  My mother recently gave me my father's record collection and I'm digging the trip down memory lane. 

I'm really enjoying it through my speaker rig, but have yet to find an enjoyable combination with headphones.  Both of the amps I have in that setup (Schiit Mjolnir and Woo WA22) sound SIGNIFICANTLY poorer when fed by a single ended source...like the TT.  The WA22 sounds like someone stuffed cotton balls inside the LCD-X cups while the Mjolnir goes the opposite way and feels like etched grainy hardness that gets fatiguing in minutes.  Not sure if it's the SE source thing or if neither amp wants to play nice with the output of the phono preamp. 

I've got a Schiit Vali on order which I anticipate will serve as my Vinyl headphone amp.

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #2,390 of 12,748
  I've got a Schiit Vali on order which I anticipate will serve as my Vinyl headphone amp.

I tried a Vali with my -X last week and it was horrible.  Slow, muddy, awful sound.  I only spent about an hour with it before deciding that it wasn't going to work out.  I hope you have a better experience!

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #2,391 of 12,748
  I tried a Vali with my -X last week and it was horrible.  Slow, muddy, awful sound.  I only spent about an hour with it before deciding that it wasn't going to work out.  I hope you have a better experience!

Interesting. It may be your DAC because I've found the Gungnir>Vali>LCD-X sounds pretty good, but the Modi>Vali>LCD-X is meh. I haven't heard the CEntrance DACport, if that's what you're still using, but I'll flat out recommend the Emotiva Stealth DC-1, which sounds very good, has good pre-amp controls, and is on sale for $500.

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #2,392 of 12,748
Yeah, I'm following Gary's DAC comparison closely.  I'm definitely looking to replace the DACport.  I've heard the -X with the Gungnir / Mjolnir, but I think the Mjolnir is a little too aggressive for me.  I'm picky as heck. :)

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #2,393 of 12,748
  Yeah, I'm following Gary's DAC comparison closely.  I'm definitely looking to replace the DACport.  I've heard the -X with the Gungnir / Mjolnir, but I think the Mjolnir is a little too aggressive for me.  I'm picky as heck. :)

The Gungnir is a very good DAC and is also in the top grouping, but it's hard to argue with the DC-1 right now. The DS is intriguing me, not because it sounds better than the top group, but because of the features and excellent clean headphone amp.

The Mjolnir is a leaner, more forward amp--definitely not for everyone. The Vali is very good with a top notch DAC--maybe not ideal for the LCD-X, but not bad if you don't mind a smallish soundstage.

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #2,394 of 12,748
+1

I did not enjoy the Mjolnir when paired with the LCD-X. too aggressive.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #2,396 of 12,748

I've already heard the Vali with the X. Im sure it will perform well.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #2,399 of 12,748

The Gungnir is a very good DAC and is also in the top grouping, but it's hard to argue with the DC-1 right now. The DS is intriguing me, not because it sounds better than the top group, but because of the features and excellent clean headphone amp.

The Mjolnir is a leaner, more forward amp--definitely not for everyone. The Vali is very good with a top notch DAC--maybe not ideal for the LCD-X, but not bad if you don't mind a smallish soundstage.

I agree with the LCD-X sounding too lean and aggressive with the Mjolnir. I have pitched in for the Geek Pulse X. Hopefully it will replace the Gungnir/Mjolnir combo as my go to rig.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #2,400 of 12,748
  I agree with the LCD-X sounding too lean and aggressive with the Mjolnir. I have pitched in for the Geek Pulse X. Hopefully it will replace the Gungnir/Mjolnir combo as my go to rig.

The Mjolnir isn't a bad choice for the LCD-X, but it does have it's own signature. There's no harshness in the upper registers, but there is a lot of detail. There's some tradeoff of thicker mids for an airy sound. I don't think you're going to find an amp with a larger soundstage, but there's a tradeoff. If the LCD-3 is your signature, the LCD-X moves away from that mid-centric lushness, and the Mjolnir keep pushing in the same direction. I think the Mjolnir pairs with the LCD-2>LCD-3>LCD-X.

I'd like to find a neutral amp with a large soundstage, and very tight control over the LCD-X, that adds a little richness in the mids for less than $1000. That doesn't seem unreasonable given the LCD-X's efficiency.

The Geek Pulse sounds interesting--have any prototypes been reviewed (with direct comparisons)? You can probably expect a very good DAC with a good amp circuit--may be just fine for the LCD-X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back