Audeze LCD-X
Jan 3, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #2,446 of 12,748
Jan 3, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #2,447 of 12,748
I think that sound your hearing is crickets chirping
smily_headphones1.gif

Everyone is probably still be too busy drooling all over their X's to think about selling them yet!

O RLY?

Well, I found at least 5 people in HF classified who have successfully sold their LCD-X in the past couple of months. Apparently, the LCD-X has its fair share of haters.

Okay, maybe hater was too harsh a word for such a great headphone. Correction: those who (slightly) prefer the LCD-3 to LCD-X.

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #2,448 of 12,748
Dang, people are selling them already? They just came out not that long ago, that's hardly enough time to burn them in properly and even give them a fighting chance to impress.

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #2,449 of 12,748
I had mine up for sale.  I was frustrated by not being able to find a good DAC/amp combo soon enough to enjoy over my 2 week Christmas vacation.  I took them down, though, because I've decided that even with my DACport they're too good to let go.

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #2,450 of 12,748
I had mine up for sale.  I was frustrated by not being able to find a good DAC/amp combo soon enough to enjoy over my 2 week Christmas vacation.  I took them down, though, because I've decided that even with my DACport they're too good to let go.

What else have you tried them with besides the DACport?

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #2,451 of 12,748

What else have you tried them with besides the DACport?

B.M.C. PureDAC, Schiit Gungnir/Mjolnir

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #2,452 of 12,748
And you didn't care for the Schiit stack with them?

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #2,453 of 12,748
And you didn't care for the Schiit stack with them?

The Gungnir I got on December 24th had a horrible repetitive buzzing problem, so I returned it.  I returned the Mjolnir with it, since I was angry and disappointed.  I've owned them both before, and they're fine.

Despite the buzzing, it sounded okay.  A little too aggressive, but that's Mjolnir for you.

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #2,454 of 12,748
What else are you planning on trying with them?

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #2,456 of 12,748

O RLY?

Well, I found at least 5 people in HF classified who have successfully sold their LCD-X in the past couple of months. Apparently, the LCD-X has its fair share of haters.

Okay, maybe hater was too harsh a word for such a great headphone. Correction: those who (slightly) prefer the LCD-3 to LCD-X.

Definitely the minority!  I think it has been established that there is a general consensus.  One may like the LCD-3 signature more, but no one can deny the greatness of the Xs.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #2,457 of 12,748
I listened a few hours last night to the LCD X and used some very good classical recordings with the WA5 and Oppo BDSP 105 and I was very impressed with the amount of detail and staging the X is offering.

Ibeleive this may be the best headphone that Audeze ever done. I am early in my review process but I do like what I been hearing with the X.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #2,458 of 12,748
  I listened a few hours last night to the LCD X and used some very good classical recordings with the WA5 and Oppo BDSP 105 and I was very impressed with the amount of detail and staging the X is offering.

Ibeleive this may be the best headphone that Audeze ever done. I am early in my review process but I do like what I been hearing with the X.

It's great to have my extremely positive impressions regarding the LCD-Xs validated by one of the head-fi legends (i.e., my ears were definitely not tricking me!).  Now Frank I, are there any other headphones that you prefer to the LCD-Xs.  By the way, they sound wonderful being driven by the Decware Taboo.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #2,459 of 12,748
I'm really enjoying them with my Master 7 DAC and DNA Stratus amp. Just trying to figure what cable to upgrade them with. I suspect they're capable of even more with the right one. Any suggestions? These are the first hp I've tried that I feel can replace the HD800, I haven't touched the 800's since getting the X.

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #2,460 of 12,748
I'm really enjoying them with my Master 7 DAC and DNA Stratus amp. Just trying to figure what cable to upgrade them with. I suspect they're capable of even more with the right one. Any suggestions? These are the first hp I've tried that I feel can replace the HD800, I haven't touched the 800's since getting the X.

There are several great cable makers that craft quality cables.  I'm personally a fan of DHC cables.  Their entry level cables are very lightweight and unobtrusive and use quality OCC copper while being (relatively) affordable.  Q-Audio french silk seems to be popular with Audeze headphones and they look very classy IMO.  Moon Audio is somewhat local to me and Drew is a great guy and does quality work as well.  That's if you don't want to go the DIY route of course.  

If your money is really burning a hole in your pocket there's also ALO.  I had one of their cables for my old LCD-2 R1 with great results but it comes at a high cost.  I only had it because when I bought my LCD-2 they were the only ones in stock and was a combo deal with the cable for an additional $400.  I would normally never spend that much on a cable.  

If I'd known back then how much I'd eventually like the HD-800, I would have just bought it at the time.  But of course I fell into the hype that planars were basically stats for the masses and HD-800 was an outdated sibilant mess.  Boy was I wrong. 
rolleyes.gif
 Of course moving to that from a K701 was pretty amazing at the time.  Funny how perspectives change over time.   Seems like the X might change my opinion though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back