Audeze LCD-X
Jan 3, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #2,461 of 12,748
I'm really enjoying them with my Master 7 DAC and DNA Stratus amp. Just trying to figure what cable to upgrade them with. I suspect they're capable of even more with the right one. Any suggestions? These are the first hp I've tried that I feel can replace the HD800, I haven't touched the 800's since getting the X.

I have the Toxic Silver Widow and the new Toxic Silver Budget cable and I love them with my LCD-X! Besides the looks it really improves the sound.

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #2,462 of 12,748

O RLY?

Well, I found at least 5 people in HF classified who have successfully sold their LCD-X in the past couple of months. Apparently, the LCD-X has its fair share of haters.

Okay, maybe hater was too harsh a word for such a great headphone. Correction: those who (slightly) prefer the LCD-3 to LCD-X.

Speaking from my experience selling mine -- my ad wasn't even up for 2 hours before someone sent payment to me. So, best bet to get a used one is to keep refreshing the classifieds regularly since FOTM train is full speed ahead on them right now. 

And to be clear, I'm not a hater. I quite liked the LCD-X, but they are not without their problems. I've seen a handful of folks express their issues with the LCD-X, but those types of comments tend to be stated once or twice and then people move on. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #2,463 of 12,748
  I had mine up for sale.  I was frustrated by not being able to find a good DAC/amp combo soon enough to enjoy over my 2 week Christmas vacation.  I took them down, though, because I've decided that even with my DACport they're too good to let go.

This.

I am being frustrated by finding a good chain for them, too. The EF-6 is much better with my HE-500 than with my LCD-X. I heard the Naim DAC-V1 yesterday with my LCD-X and it was very good. It sounded a little flat on one song, but it was just that one song. I didn't have my music to listen to them with, but what I heard made me want to keep my LCD-X. The LCD-X sounded better on that dac/amp than the HE-500 did by a good amount.

I wonder if there's an impedance matching problem going on with the EF-6. I bought a power conditioner (Furman PL-8C) and still have a slight hum from the EF-6.

I'm wondering about the Bryston BHA-1, the meridian prime, or the naim. I think I'm sending the EF-6 back. I doubt the Peachtree Dac-IT x could be to blame. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #2,464 of 12,748
Sweet.. just the kind of info I'm looking for.  Have my eyes on the LCD-X but have been watch for good pairings.  Just picked up the Naim DAC-V1 a few weeks ago as it pairs well with the HD800.  Going to wait a while until I see more info or get to at least try a pair of LCD-X or LCD-3 on the Naim before I commit.  There's suppose to be a Toronto meet in the next month or so and a few people will be brining LCD3's.  I assume that if the 3's sound good on the Naim, the X will also.

Quote:
  I am being frustrated by finding a good chain for them, too. The EF-6 is much better with my HE-500 than with my LCD-X. I heard the Naim DAC-V1 yesterday with my LCD-X and it was very good. It sounded a little flat on one song, but it was just that one song. I didn't have my music to listen to them with, but what I heard made me want to keep my LCD-X. The LCD-X sounded better on that dac/amp than the HE-500 did by a good amount.

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #2,465 of 12,748

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I read Dan's review of the Naim. He said the LCD2's caused clipping in the Naim. It's not a high current design. The LCD-X's were designed to be more efficient.

However, while the LCD-X are more sensitive, I'm uncertain if they really are more efficient. They have a lower impedance, which usually would make me think they'd need more current. I'd have to listen to them again at high volumes before I commit to the Naim. The most puzzling thing is that Audeze still has 1-4 watts on their website for the LCD-X. I wonder if they updated that stat or if it's just a carry over recommendation.

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #2,466 of 12,748
Thanks - I know the Audeze are more current hungry.  At some point, I'm planning to add a WA2 to the setup but the Naim synergizes with HD800 so well. I'm in no hurry so I'll keep following and watch for good amp/LCD-X synergy posts.

Addendum: Just downloaded the latest Tone Audio magazine (volume 60) and there's a review on the LCD-X starting on page 112.  Worth a read.
BTW - it won their Product of the year for Personal Audio(page 211).

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #2,467 of 12,748
FWIW, I finally got my last set of upgrades tubes in for my WA22. With the Tung Sol power tubes, the Sylvania 6F8G drivers and the RCA 5U4G, the WA22 sounds fantastic with the X's. Great depth to the imaging. Rich tonality without being overly lush or tubey. The upgrades cost me a total of <$300. So at a total of $2300, this amp is a very nice match for the X's.

Thanks to Frank I for the tube recommendations.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #2,468 of 12,748
If anyone is interested in a fantastic closed headphone option, my LCD-XC review is now up:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audeze-lcd-xc/reviews/10236

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #2,469 of 12,748
FWIW, I finally got my last set of upgrades tubes in for my WA22. With the Tung Sol power tubes, the Sylvania 6F8G drivers and the RCA 5U4G, the WA22 sounds fantastic with the X's. Great depth to the imaging. Rich tonality without being overly lush or tubey. The upgrades cost me a total of <$300. So at a total of $2300, this amp is a very nice match for the X's.

Thanks to Frank I for the tube recommendations.

Lee Super. Glad you liked the tube recommendations. i bought another pair of the Sylvania VT99 nice tube and priced right. RCA 5U4G is one of my favorite rectifiers and they are drying up so get them while you can,

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #2,471 of 12,748
I have the tungsol coming from Jack and will b using them and the  Tungsol BGP 6SN7 or the 6F8g with the RCA rectifier in the WA22

I'll be curious to hear how close you can get the WA22 to the sound of your WA5 with the X's.

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #2,474 of 12,748
Hey guys, I've had the LCD X for about three days now, with a little over 45 hours of burn in. While I was initially blown away by the sound, I now can't help but notice this ever slightly muffled quality to the mids with both male and female vocals, like I'm expecting it to be just a tad more clear but it never really gets there. Running the music through my Violectric V200 with a Rega DAC + Audiophilleo 2 with Nordost Purple Flare interconnects if that helps. Also have the silk Q cable for the 'phones. Could it just be the overall warmth of each component of my setup? I had the LCD 2 R2 before I bought the X and didn't have any issue with the mids there at all, but there's just something a little "off" about what I'm hearing with my LCD X. I was just wondering if anyone's experienced this. I'll try leaving it burning in for a while and see how that goes. I did have my Audiophilleo 2 repaired a while back while I still had my LCD 2s due to a cold solder joint inside the unit, I'm not sure if that has any bearing on the situation though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back