Audeze LCD-X
Jan 4, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #2,476 of 12,748
  Hey guys, I've had the LCD X for about three days now, with a little over 45 hours of burn in. While I was initially blown away by the sound, I now can't help but notice this ever slightly muffled quality to the mids with both male and female vocals, like I'm expecting it to be just a tad more clear but it never really gets there. Running the music through my Violectric V200 with a Rega DAC + Audiophilleo 2 with Nordost Purple Flare interconnects if that helps. Also have the silk Q cable for the 'phones. Could it just be the overall warmth of each component of my setup? I had the LCD 2 R2 before I bought the X and didn't have any issue with the mids there at all, but there's just something a little "off" about what I'm hearing with my LCD X. I was just wondering if anyone's experienced this. I'll try leaving it burning in for a while and see how that goes. I did have my Audiophilleo 2 repaired a while back while I still had my LCD 2s due to a cold solder joint inside the unit, I'm not sure if that has any bearing on the situation though.

The Violectric 200 has a slight mid bass bloat with some headphones that can make the headphone sound congested or cloudy. 
I have not heard the Rega Dac but I hear is a warm dac which may contribute to the Violectric's congested sound. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #2,477 of 12,748
Hey guys, I've had the LCD X for about three days now, with a little over 45 hours of burn in. While I was initially blown away by the sound, I now can't help but notice this ever slightly muffled quality to the mids with both male and female vocals, like I'm expecting it to be just a tad more clear but it never really gets there. Running the music through my Violectric V200 with a Rega DAC + Audiophilleo 2 with Nordost Purple Flare interconnects if that helps. Also have the silk Q cable for the 'phones. Could it just be the overall warmth of each component of my setup? I had the LCD 2 R2 before I bought the X and didn't have any issue with the mids there at all, but there's just something a little "off" about what I'm hearing with my LCD X. I was just wondering if anyone's experienced this. I'll try leaving it burning in for a while and see how that goes. I did have my Audiophilleo 2 repaired a while back while I still had my LCD 2s due to a cold solder joint inside the unit, I'm not sure if that has any bearing on the situation though.

I hear a little of the same thing you do. To me it sounds like the mid bass is creeping into the vocal range and can muddy the waters a little bit. Not a ton, but a little. It becomes more pronounced when you use an amp with a warm sound signature. The Lyr exaggerated this especially with Mullard tubes. I think I recall the V200 is warm for a SS amp, but that's based on a listen loooong ago.

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #2,478 of 12,748
I hear a little of the same thing you do. To me it sounds like the mid bass is creeping into the vocal range and can muddy the waters a little bit. Not a ton, but a little. It becomes more pronounced when you use an amp with a warm sound signature. The Lyr exaggerated this especially with Mullard tubes. I think I recall the V200 is warm for a SS amp, but that's based on a listen loooong ago.

silver interconnects, silver replacement cable and (if using a tube amp) staying away from Mullard tubes and other warmish tubes should do the trick...it certainly did for me!!!

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #2,479 of 12,748
silver interconnects, silver replacement cable and (if using a tube amp) staying away from Mullard tubes and other warmish tubes should do the trick...it certainly did for me!!!

Silver cables might enhance the treble, but I haven't found them to clarify the vocals.

Interestingly, the LCD-XC's are much clearer and more focused in the vocal range than the X's, but they suffer from a grainy brightness in the upper vocal register that really bugs me after about 30 minutes. When I go back to the X's I'm willing to accept the recessed vocals to rid myself of the etched sound of the XC.

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #2,480 of 12,748

It could definitely be a combination of the Rega DAC and the Violectric V200. Had a chance to compare the RL Concero to the Rega DAC and definitely thought the Concero sounded clearer in the mids, though this was on speakers (Dali Ikon 6 Mk2). From what I've read the V200 also has a warm edge to it, so this might just accentuate what you are hearing with the Rega which might end up being just too much. Might be worth demo'ing/trying out anther source with the V200.

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #2,481 of 12,748
Alright. Would the Violectric V800 dac be better for my setup than the Rega?

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #2,482 of 12,748
^ project86 did a nice review thread of the V800.

FWIW, my Violectric V100 is too warm for my LCD2 - pretty much regardless of DAC. As I understand it, the V200 is a different sound from the 100 though. WarriorAnt found the 200 and (IIRC) a W4S Dac2 a great match with LCD2.2 2-3 years ago.

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #2,485 of 12,748

It could definitely be a combination of the Rega DAC and the Violectric V200. Had a chance to compare the RL Concero to the Rega DAC and definitely thought the Concero sounded clearer in the mids, though this was on speakers (Dali Ikon 6 Mk2). From what I've read the V200 also has a warm edge to it, so this might just accentuate what you are hearing with the Rega which might end up being just too much. Might be worth demo'ing/trying out anther source with the V200.

I would have to agree.  I've heard both and they seem a bit on the softer/warmer side.  The Rega seems like a sweeter sound, and the V200 itself is just silky smooth but a great amp.  I've owned to Concero and was a big fan.  The sound is deceptively good for it's size.  When I re-uprade again (sold it and using Modi) I'm planning on the Concero HD.  I've decided I'm holding off on the LCD-X for awhile in order to buy a new Macbook Pro along with the Concero HD.  I currently listen from my desktop, which is a big noisy custom built gaming machine.

Alright. Would the Violectric V800 dac be better for my setup than the Rega?

I would also take a look at the Concero HD in the same price range.  I've only owned the Concero, but the HD trades it's integrated DAC chip outputs for a better DAC chip and separate output opamps, as well as an improved clocking scheme.  Or you could even sell your Audiophilieo and replace it with a Concero and take advantage of it's filter options to tweak the sound to your liking.  The real strength of the Concero is how it functions as a converter and it's custom filters using a Xilinx FPGA.

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #2,486 of 12,748
  I would have to agree.  I've heard both and they seem a bit on the softer/warmer side.  The Rega seems like a sweeter sound, and the V200 itself is just silky smooth but a great amp.  I've owned to Concero and was a big fan.  The sound is deceptively good for it's size.  When I re-uprade again (sold it and using Modi) I'm planning on the Concero HD.  I've decided I'm holding off on the LCD-X for awhile in order to buy a new Macbook Pro along with the Concero HD.  I currently listen from my desktop, which is a big noisy custom built gaming machine.

I would also take a look at the Concero HD in the same price range.  I've only owned the Concero, but the HD trades it's integrated DAC chip outputs for a better DAC chip and separate output opamps, as well as an improved clocking scheme.  Or you could even sell your Audiophilieo and replace it with a Concero and take advantage of it's filter options to tweak the sound to your liking.  The real strength of the Concero is how it functions as a converter and it's custom filters using a Xilinx FPGA.

Sounds good, I'll look into that. I do wish there was a way for me to audition it with my V200 somehow first. I did play around with the different filters on the Rega and settled on filter 3 for now. I think I love my Audiophilleo 2 too much to sell it. If I was serious about looking to upgrade in the future I'd probably just sell the Rega and get something a little more neutral.

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #2,487 of 12,748
I have to say though that the LCD X is effing BRILLIANT with electronic music. Stuff like Hallucinogen and Infected Mushroom never sounded so good! The PRaT is expertly executed and you definitely feel the fast-paced momentum with how everything is presented.

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #2,488 of 12,748
  I have to say though that the LCD X is effing BRILLIANT with electronic music. Stuff like Hallucinogen and Infected Mushroom never sounded so good! The PRaT is expertly executed and you definitely feel the fast-paced momentum with how everything is presented.

beerchug.gif

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #2,490 of 12,748

IM the Supervisor is always the first electronic album I play to test out new headphones. Definitely doesn't disappoint on the XC either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back