Audeze LCD-X
Jun 19, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #10,096 of 12,748
Now's the time for whoever has listened to an LCD-X with a Questyle CMA400i to chime in, and an HD800S for that matter. Please. Seems like my Modi Multibit is defective (background noise) so I'm on the verge of returning all my Schiit. If I keep the Jot, what are your suggestions for balanced DACs at around $500?

Jun 19, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #10,097 of 12,748
Is the LCD-X supposed to have a serial number somewhere on the headphone? @bigswell In what kind of box did you receive your LCD-X from RazorDogAudio? Mine was a plain white box without any Audeze markings, in essence a shipping box with padding to the shape of the headphone. I just checked on the Audeze website and RazorDogAudio is indeed authorized. Serial number on box and plastic card checks out but without it being on the headphone, and in a better way than it is on around page 665 I think, I can think of ways or reasons to just use legitimate serial numbers repeatedly when all you have to do is print them on a plastic card and on a box label, and apparently Audeze doesn't even bother with boxes anymore.
Creator package ships in white box. Mine is the same as yours w/serial #. Could not find serial # on the headphones although I haven’t done a thorough inspection. Definitely not located in same spot as previous models.

Jun 19, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #10,098 of 12,748
Creator package or RazorDogAudio creator package? :wink: Being a pain I suppose. It's surprising they've dispensed with any sort of box if this is indeed how all creator packages are but the savings are definitely more important. The lack of a balanced cable sucks though. Now I need to figure out my DAC/amp situation too. Anyone have experience with a Bifrost Multibit versus a Modi Multibit? Or do I just get another DAC altogether, or return the Jot as well and get another combo altogether?

Jun 20, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #10,099 of 12,748
Creator package orRazorDogAudio creator package? :wink: Being a pain I suppose. It's surprising they've dispensed with any sort of box if this is indeed how all creator packages are but the savings are definitely more important. The lack of a balanced cable sucks though. Now I need to figure out my DAC/amp situation too. Anyone have experience with a Bifrost Multibit versus a Modi Multibit? Or do I just get another DAC altogether, or return the Jot as well and get another combo altogether?

I believe ALL creator packages come in white boxes.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #10,100 of 12,748
I believe ALL creator packages come in white boxes.
Yes they do. Mine came in a white box and the serial number came on a card. I believe Audeze stop putting the serial numbers on the headband with stickers because they were falling off. Newer stock has the new suspension headbands as well.

Jun 20, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #10,101 of 12,748
Maybe a sound engineer or mix engineer or someone with more knowledge than me can offer a suggestion.

I have the LCD-X. And I installed Sonarworks Tru-fi a couple days ago.

Thing is, I also produce some music using Ableton Live and Reaper.

So I probably could benefit from their Reference software. Though I only use my headphones, not speaker. Still, as I understand it, their reference software shuts off the system wide app while my DAW is active (as long as the plugin is in the master bus), thus allowing me to mix with more precision. Is that right?

In other words, if I tried to mix with the Tru-fi installed, I would be hearing more colored sound out of my DAW? That confuses me. But am I getting it right? But if I have the Reference edition, it will allow me both to listen to music outside of my DAW, and to mix it in the DAW. At separate times of course.

Just want to be sure I'm buying the one best for what I want to do. Which is both to enjoy listening (and Tru-fi makes a huge difference for me) and to produce music.

Jun 20, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #10,102 of 12,748
Creator package or RazorDogAudio creator package? :wink: Being a pain I suppose. It's surprising they've dispensed with any sort of box if this is indeed how all creator packages are but the savings are definitely more important. The lack of a balanced cable sucks though. Now I need to figure out my DAC/amp situation too. Anyone have experience with a Bifrost Multibit versus a Modi Multibit? Or do I just get another DAC altogether, or return the Jot as well and get another combo altogether?

Creator package owner of LCD-X courtesy of Amazon and Audeze as of a week ago. The package is a plain white box as described in recent posts, with no visible serial number that I have noticed. I know your committed to balanced operation, but I am running these with the included stock cable thru a Mojo and the sound is simply amazing. Sounds like we are on similar hunt, as I recently had extended in home auditions with the HD-800s and Clear. Both have been returned while it appears the LCD-X is here to stay. Good luck in your search, happy to help with any questions you may have.

Jun 21, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #10,104 of 12,748
Which phones would you guys recommend as an suiting addition/match to the LCD-X?
What I mean is: If you were to have 2 headphones that have a different sound (one of them the LCD-X) which one would that be?

Thanks for your help!

Jun 21, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #10,105 of 12,748
Which phones would you guys recommend as an suiting addition/match to the LCD-X?
What I mean is: If you were to have 2 headphones that have a different sound (one of them the LCD-X) which one would that be?

Thanks for your help!

My two options: Focal Clear and/or Sennheiser HD800S.

Jun 21, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #10,106 of 12,748
The Focal Clear seems like a weird complement for the LCD-X. It might complement other Audeze headphones that are sort of muddy sounding but I see it as more of an upgrade if you like its sound or as a sidegrade. Soundstage is similar. I actually wonder which might have the edge.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #10,108 of 12,748
I would recommend a decent Grado to complement LCD-X
Go call on the Grado's. I'm loving the sound of my GH1's with G-Cushions. Another option would be HE-500's. I just got a pair today and these headphones sound fantastic. They have more midrange presence with good bass and nice treble to match. But the bass doesn't hit as the LCD-X's and the sound signature is not as warm which to my ears makes them a nice compliment.

Jun 21, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #10,109 of 12,748
I really like my GH1 but prefer the L cush. I always like to listen to a dynamic driver now and again rather than a planar magnetic one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back