Audeze LCD-X
Jun 19, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #10,081 of 12,748
There are no authorized Sennheiser vendors in my area and online the only seller I noticed mentioning negotiation was the one with the $300 discount already. I actually started up a chat out of curiosity as it immediately pops up, which needless to say I found suspicious, and it turns out they had run out of units despite their site stating the headphone was in stock. US site but the person I was chatting with didn't seem to speak English well and it was the only site with as deep of a starting discount and an encouragement for you to bargain with them, which I've never encountered and is at least suspicious. Maybe I lack knowledge but given Sennheiser actually warns you about counterfeit headphones sold at lower rates and that I very well may end up choosing the HD800S I decided to err on the peace of mind side. That said I haven't bought the headphone yet and might revisit this, asking Sennheiser if this is an authorized dealer to begin with.

Don't accuse me of insulting the seller of the LCD-4 because you read something that wasn't there and because I encouraged being careful when buying second-hand. I shouldn't have to explain this to you, and you have a little sense of humor to boot. Won't comment on the lurkers liking your shallow posts.

PS

That online seller I'm referring to, by the way, in English that could use some proofreading asks you to become a VIP member just by signing up, dangling full warranty and I think even deeper discounts. There are two possibilities here, and only two. One, you're not dealing with the brightest people. Two, and this is the scary one, the red flags mean you're getting screwed over. Unlike other headphones Sennheiser headphones seem to stick to their value, even with authorized dealers, much more. Going to a meet hosted by a vendor is a different deal.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #10,082 of 12,748
$4K? Do people actually pay MSRP for audio gear? :p
Here is a $2300 LCD4 for example.. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-lcd-4-cocobolo-rings-200-ohm.880533/

Ever heard the saying "If it sounds too good to be true it probably is"? Ask Why Would This Person Be Selling These $4000 Headphones For Near 50% Off?

That's right. Doesn't make sense does it? What if a driver craps out? Not unheard of with Audeze products LOL...

I think there are SOME things where it makes sense to buy new with warranty. Just my opinion though.

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #10,083 of 12,748
For any Audeze product request the serial number. Go to the Audeze website and enter that number and you will know if it is a legitimate Audeze product. From what I have seen a mid to high 2K is about what a used LCD-4 will command. My LCD-4 was 2.4K out of an estate. Audeze warranty is not restricted to the original owner.

Jun 19, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #10,084 of 12,748
What gives with the general price drop? Seems interesting, and I thought the LCD-4 is actually a relatively new headphone too. Does Sennheiser have something similar with serial numbers? Are serial numbers imprinted on the headphones themselves? If they aren't it's conceivable to get the box and its contents while using another headphone.

Jun 19, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #10,085 of 12,748
What gives with the general price drop? Seems interesting, and I thought the LCD-4 is actually a relatively new headphone too. Does Sennheiser have something similar with serial numbers? Are serial numbers imprinted on the headphones themselves? If they aren't it's conceivable to get the box and its contents while using another headphone.

The Sennheiser HD800S have their S/N engraved with laser on the headband. German quality, natürlich!!

Jun 19, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #10,086 of 12,748
The numbers are on the headphones themselves. I believe the LCD-4 is 2+ years old. I would not consider that to be relatively new considering the number of flagship headphones introduced in the last 3 years. I cannot speak to Sennheiser identification. When I was first considering the X in mid 2015 Audeze had just suffered a burglary losing over 100K in headphones. Several popped up on Ebay which I was able to identify as stolen and called off the sale.

Jun 19, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #10,088 of 12,748
Request a picture of the actual serial number. I don't know about the box.

Jun 19, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #10,089 of 12,748
Ever heard the saying "If it sounds too good to be true it probably is"? Ask Why Would This Person Be Selling These $4000 Headphones For Near 50% Off?

That's right. Doesn't make sense does it? What if a driver craps out? Not unheard of with Audeze products LOL...

I think there are SOME things where it makes sense to buy new with warranty. Just my opinion though.

It actually does make sense, because a 40~50% discount is the market rate for a used LCD-4.

If paying list price is worth your peace of mind then more power to you but personally I feel it's naive and sleep just fine at night w/ my ~half price Yggy, Utopia, and LAu.

Sure sometimes it does make sense to buy things brand new, perhaps like toilet paper.. but I avoid MSRP like the plague when it comes to things like high-end audio, cars, etc..

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #10,090 of 12,748
It actually does make sense, because a 40~50% discount is the market rate for a used LCD-4.

If paying list price is worth your peace of mind then more power to you but personally I feel it's naive and sleep just fine at night w/ my ~half price Yggy, Utopia, and LAu.

Sure sometimes it does make sense to buy things brand new, perhaps like toilet paper.. but I avoid MSRP like the plague when it comes to things like high-end audio, cars, etc..
You don’t need to buy toliet paper brand new. You can recycle it - the trick before reusing it is that you have to shake the schiit out of it :)

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #10,091 of 12,748

This cracked me up.

Jun 19, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #10,092 of 12,748
I did not realize that high-end headphones would depreciate so rapidly. That being the case, it does make sense to look for gently used almost new gear -if- it can be found. I have never bought any used audio components, but sure looks like there could be some bargains available.

Jun 19, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #10,093 of 12,748
Is the LCD-X supposed to have a serial number somewhere on the headphone? @bigswell In what kind of box did you receive your LCD-X from RazorDogAudio? Mine was a plain white box without any Audeze markings, in essence a shipping box with padding to the shape of the headphone. I just checked on the Audeze website and RazorDogAudio is indeed authorized. Serial number on box and plastic card checks out but without it being on the headphone, and in a better way than it is on around page 665 I think, I can think of ways or reasons to just use legitimate serial numbers repeatedly when all you have to do is print them on a plastic card and on a box label, and apparently Audeze doesn't even bother with boxes anymore.

Jun 19, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #10,094 of 12,748
Is the LCD-X supposed to have a serial number somewhere on the headphone? @bigswell In what kind of box did you receive your LCD-X from RazorDogAudio? Mine was a plain white box without any Audeze markings, in essence a shipping box with padding to the shape of the headphone. I just checked on the Audeze website and RazorDogAudio is indeed authorized. Serial number on box and plastic card checks out but without it being on the headphone, and in a better way than it is on around page 665 I think, I can think of ways or reasons to just use legitimate serial numbers repeatedly when all you have to do is print them on a plastic card and on a box label, and apparently Audeze doesn't even bother with boxes anymore.
Are you questioning the authenticity of your Xs? My most recent Audeze purchase was about 18 months ago, but the 2, X, and 4 I purchased had a sticker with a serial number on the inside of the headband.

Jun 19, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #10,095 of 12,748
Yea, I noticed that on the picture on page 664 I think. Mine doesn't have that, it's just an L and R to indicate the side. I wonder whether bigswell has it the same way as I do. Perhaps they no longer include those stickers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back