Audeze LCD-X
Jun 22, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #10,112 of 12,748
The big test will be on the way soon- the HD800S (and I spent $1800+ on it too...). Unfortunately I also shot myself in the foot getting the Questyle CMA400i and initiating a return for my Modi Multibit. After a couple of hours of listening I'm not impressed and find the MM + Jotunheim a better combo. Using the LCD-X single-ended. I really need the energy of the MM + Jot to properly evaluate the HD800S. I'm planning to upgrade to a Bifrost Multibit that comes with a better USB connection but those are backordered until two weeks from now so things are getting complicated. By the way, can the balanced cable that comes with the HD800S be used with the LCD-X?

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #10,113 of 12,748
The Focal Clear seems like a weird complement for the LCD-X. It might complement other Audeze headphones that are sort of muddy sounding but I see it as more of an upgrade if you like its sound or as a sidegrade. Soundstage is similar. I actually wonder which might have the edge.

I do not see as weird... It is something quite different to the sound signature the LCD-X can give you. Comfort wise they're are more or less on pair. The suggested Grados may be sonically another good option but their comfort is (my opinion) miles away from the Focals.

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #10,114 of 12,748
The big test will be on the way soon- the HD800S (and I spent $1800+ on it too...). Unfortunately I also shot myself in the foot getting the Questyle CMA400i and initiating a return for my Modi Multibit. After a couple of hours of listening I'm not impressed and find the MM + Jotunheim a better combo. Using the LCD-X single-ended. I really need the energy of the MM + Jot to properly evaluate the HD800S. I'm planning to upgrade to a Bifrost Multibit that comes with a better USB connection but those are backordered until two weeks from now so things are getting complicated. By the way, can the balanced cable that comes with the HD800S be used with the LCD-X?
No

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #10,115 of 12,748
I would recommend a Schiit alternative to the CMA400i. It doesn't sound good in comparison to the Mimby + Jotunheim I was using, single-ended at least. Less energetic and perhaps even less clear. Don't know if I'm liking the sound from the Jot in particular. I've seen some claims that the Jot may be too bright but I think it at the very least matches the LCD-X well. With Sonarworks included - and I once again reiterate it is very important - I get pretty satisfactory sound, exciting without going into Focal territory, no glaring deficits that I can tell, good quality. I'm getting a Bimby to hopefully eliminate the background noise I've run into and get whatever improvement there may be. I can see this being where I come at a stop, but I will be trying the HD800S too.

The CMA400i with the LCD-X, by the way, kind of reminds me of the HEXv2. Have to turn up the volume to get something particularly exciting and it still doesn't really do the trick. Plus it's hardly a refined sound.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #10,116 of 12,748
What did you dislike about the 800S?

The only real downsides were the lack of bass extension, and the slight upper mid/treble emphasis. The latter was never bothersome with mojo, and it made everything sound alive and detailed, but just a bit overhyped relative to what I consider neutral and natural. May have gotten more bass out of them with different amplification.

For me it almost became a live vs. recording decision, I felt the 800s sounded more like live music while the LCD-X sounded more faithful to the recording.

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #10,117 of 12,748

Looking forward to your impressions of the HD800s, you’ll be rolling thru your catalog uncovering new details you never knew were there

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #10,118 of 12,748
Thing is all I'll have for at least two weeks is the CMA400i, and to be honest I wouldn't be satisfied with the LCD-X if this is how I listened. Considering the 800S might be less dynamic or at the very least have less bass I think the energy of the Jot Schiit stacks will really be needed. Maybe balanced will help as the 800S will come with the cable but I'm expecting to be disappointed or not satisfied until the Bimby arrives, and even then I'm not sure the 800S will match the LCD-X where I'd want it to in addition to having that supposedly amazing soundstage/imaging/separation. Who knows, maybe balanced will do a lot and maybe the Mimby and Bimby not being balanced DACs will bring the Schiit stacks down. At that point I'll have to resell, but that's looking down the line.

Just heard Sandstorm by Darude with the cma400i and now I'm sad.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #10,119 of 12,748
These sound X-traordinary!

D3VXrx7.jpg

Jun 23, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #10,121 of 12,748
I have a JH audio Roxanne performance series. This is a perfect complement to the LCD X for traveling. I use it on balanced cable with the SP1000 and they both sound great. I find that the sp1000 has enough power to drive the LCD - X through the balanced output.
I sometimes use my wife's HD6xx but find the not as resolving and I miss the bass impact of the LCD-X.

I am really interested in the LCD mx4 LCD z4 and want to give them a listen but there are no shops in the Chicago area that I can find them in to test. I might have to wait until Axpona next year. If anyone knows a store that carries them that would be incredible.

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #10,122 of 12,748
These sound X-traordinary!

D3VXrx7.jpg

See you have a Solvine on your X's as well, how do you like it over stock? I found it made a huge improvement.

Very jealous of your Utopia / Draug Silver. :money_mouth:

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #10,124 of 12,748
See you have a Solvine on your X's as well, how do you like it over stock? I found it made a huge improvement.

Very jealous of your Utopia / Draug Silver. :money_mouth:

I'm also hearing a great improvement vs the stock cable, I feel it refined the sound on every level!
And yes the Draug Silver is awesome too, big fan of Norne cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back