Audeze LCD-X
May 4, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #9,333 of 12,748
Is multibit this good ?
I will try to try next week to compare my Gungnir MB and my Abrahamsen V6.0... I'll see which one is the best. Well, it is not that fair as the GMB is $1300 where the Abrahamsen is only $425 (10 years ago, so about $500 of today). But the Abrahansen was suppose to be awsome deal for the price back in the days.

May 5, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #9,334 of 12,748
May 5, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #9,335 of 12,748
@CarlosUnchained and @Lohb
http://inearspace.com/2017/02/20/elemental-watson-no-thrills-performance/
The excerpt from page 2: They state they used a wide range of flagship headphones when designing this including the HD800 and others such as Beyerdynamic T1/T5p, Audeze LCD-X, Grado PS1000e, Mr Speakers Ether and Fostex TH900.

I wonder where that's "stated" though :p

My guess is it was said during communication with the Elemental team. Like whenever the review unit was sent over.

May 5, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #9,337 of 12,748
i am just surprised by the mount of lcd x that are being offered for smashed prices on the second hand forum, I have a feeling something new is coming out and I am not talking about the PRO but something to replace the x within same price point :wink:

May 5, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #9,338 of 12,748
It is the hype train moving from X to 4 to Utopia and to whatever comes next...

May 7, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #9,339 of 12,748
i am just surprised by the mount of lcd x that are being offered for smashed prices on the second hand forum, I have a feeling something new is coming out and I am not talking about the PRO but something to replace the x within same price point :wink:

I don't think people on the secondhand forums have any idea if there's something else coming out.

May 12, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #9,341 of 12,748
Hello Folks, I am new on head-fi. Currently owns HD650, 700 and 800 and driving them with Modi/Magni stack (I know i need to updrage my gear). I recently heard the LCD line and Is it just me that when I heard LCD-X, LCD-2 and LCD-3, I found LCD-X extremely lively and enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, LCD-3 was good too, but more laid back. After thinking alot I bought LCD-X and probably going to buy LCD-3 later. I have no idea how people recommend LCD-2, they are not that detailed. I was hearing all three on mcintosh amplifier.

What is a good amp/dac combo for LCD-X and eventually LCD-3 (ll buy later)? Budget is around $1300.

I heard good things about Pro ICAN. Is that a good match for LCD-X and LCD-3? Or is Mjolnir/Gungnir combo better compared to those? Or Is there something better for the price? Please advise!!

May 12, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #9,342 of 12,748
You're spending a lot on headphones but are really stifling them with your amp and dac. I wouldn't bother with most amp/dac combos as your paying more for form factor and design rather than two individual good products. The Schiit lineup of Multibit DACS are hard to beat at their respective price points, as well as their amps. Bimby and Mjolnir 2 would fit your price point perfectly.

May 12, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #9,343 of 12,748
You're spending a lot on headphones but are really stifling them with your amp and dac. I wouldn't bother with most amp/dac combos as your paying more for form factor and design rather than two individual good products. The Schiit lineup of Multibit DACS are hard to beat at their respective price points, as well as their amps. Bimby and Mjolnir 2 would fit your price point perfectly.

Well all these headphones I accumulated over last 3 yrs, step by step. I bought HD800 last year, however still kept 650 (sound signature) and 700 (portability). I didn't have the money to buy good setup for HD800 and at the same time I listened to Audeze lineup and I like their sound so I bought LCD-X.

Would you prefer Biofrost or Gungnir for HD800s and LCD-X? Bimby fits the budget but I may be able to stretch the budget to gumby as I am thinking of endgame setup for shortwhile.

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #9,344 of 12,748
Oh, go Gumby for sure. I have both, and while Bimby is a step up from Mimby, Gumby is a leap above the other two. Gumby/Jot is fantastic but MJ2 is more versatile with tube rolling.

May 12, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #9,345 of 12,748
Oh, go Gumby for sure. I have both, and while Bimby is a step up from Mimby, Gumby is a leap above the other two. Gumby/Jot is fantastic but MJ2 is more versatile with tube rolling.

Thanks for your help. Another quick question for Gumby, do you recommend multibit version or normal? How much is tonal difference? Also for voltage do I select 115V or 230V adapter?

And for Mjolnir 2, should I get both solid state and tube version? And again which adapter between 115V and 230V?

Sorry for asking all these questions, just want to make that I order the right fit.

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back