Audeze LCD-X
Nov 8, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #7,156 of 12,748
I love the LCD-X, before I heard the LCD-4s, they were my particular favourite Audeze headphone (and one of my very favourite headphones period). But the LCD-4s have taken things to a whole new level for Audeze. I've only had about 3 days with them now, but I can tell these are very special headphones! The -4s are  a  bit more relaxed, but more open/spacious and man do they pull details out of a recording!

Hmmm. Your words speak to the Audiophile monkey, living on my back, my wallet shutters in nightmares livid embrace. Thank god I have no way to get my mitts on money like that. I will just have to save up for it lol.

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #7,157 of 12,748
  Yes, I'll check whether there's a possibility for me to listen to them both and compare. Thanks for your response! Do you think the O2 and ODAC will drive the LCD-X properly? I'd have to upgrade my amp if I prefer the LCD 3F, so i'm kinda worried... :wink: but the way you describe the difference, i'd quite certainly prefer the LCD X

I am sure O2 and ODAC can drive the LCD-X properly. The LCD-X is not hard to drive power wise. The question is do they have good SQ synergy with the X. I don’t know that, because I have not heard the X true O2 and ODAC. The LCD 3F is a bit harder to drive but not very much IME.

Anyway as I said before it’s best to hear the headphone in the system it meant to be played in. Preferably at home if possible.  

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #7,158 of 12,748
Hello guys and gals!

I thought this thread the best place to introduce myself as a new member since I just picked up the LCD-X a few weeks ago after I spent a good 4 hours or so at an Audeze dealer going back and forth between different models (I also had an a Oppo PM-3 for my evaluation and the Focal Spirit Classic) and to my ears the LCD-X won out as my preferred signature. Not a huge shock that it beat out those lower priced Cans right? However, I also found I preferred the X to the LCD-3F version even when the latter had fancy cables (Nordost) over the X using only stock cables.

As a guy coming from audiophile speakers and new to nicer headphones, I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting to like a pair of headphones this much and, well, you all what happens next in this audiophile addiction thing
atsmile.gif
... more gear spending of course!! I've since been burying myself in reading threads and reviews on amps and paying careful attention to people who make comparisons to the amps I've heard so far (just 3 of them).

A common reference point is, afterall, so important in these matters, probably as much as articulating one's personal sound signature bias allows people to know your tastes better and understand comparisons you may make.

Before I ask you guys to evaluate my short list of amp considerations, I'll do a bit more reading in this thread to see what people are pairing with their LCD-X, if only to be polite. In the mean time, my LCD-X are sitting idle, a motivating factor indeed yielding a LOT of reading on my part!

Again, just wanted to say hello and to prove I'm not a cyborg.

Cheers

Nov 9, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #7,159 of 12,748

Hello guys and gals!

I thought this thread the best place to introduce myself as a new member since I just picked up the LCD-X a few weeks ago after I spent a good 4 hours or so at an Audeze dealer going back and forth between different models (I also had an a Oppo PM-3 for my evaluation and the Focal Spirit Classic) and to my ears the LCD-X won out as my preferred signature. Not a huge shock that it beat out those lower priced Cans right? However, I also found I preferred the X to the LCD-3F version even when the latter had fancy cables (Nordost) over the X using only stock cables.

As a guy coming from audiophile speakers and new to nicer headphones, I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting to like a pair of headphones this much and, well, you all what happens next in this audiophile addiction thing
atsmile.gif
... more gear spending of course!! I've since been burying myself in reading threads and reviews on amps and paying careful attention to people who make comparisons to the amps I've heard so far (just 3 of them).

A common reference point is, afterall, so important in these matters, probably as much as articulating one's personal sound signature bias allows people to know your tastes better and understand comparisons you may make.

Before I ask you guys to evaluate my short list of amp considerations, I'll do a bit more reading in this thread to see what people are pairing with their LCD-X, if only to be polite. In the mean time, my LCD-X are sitting idle, a motivating factor indeed yielding a LOT of reading on my part!

Again, just wanted to say hello and to prove I'm not a cyborg.

Cheers

Welcome to Head Fi. Sorry for u'r wallet 
biggrin.gif

Wow... you started off your Head Fi Journey straight with LCD X. Lucky U....
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #7,160 of 12,748
I have decided to pull the plug for the LCD-Xs about a week ago. Since then i have been enjoying every minute of it. Everything sounds so much more real than my previous K702.

My current setup is PC==>WA7==>LCD-X
I intend to add Yggdrasil as a DAC and use it for potential speaker setup as well. 

I was thinking

PC==>Yggy==>WA7==>LCD-X
and
PC==>Yggy==>Speaker Amp==>Focal Diablo Utopia

Do you guys think that the WA7 is sufficient for LCD-X? Any one have experienced on a speaker amp for the Focal?

Really appreciate any input from the forum expert here.

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #7,161 of 12,748
No forum expert, just read something like this earlier in the thread. Yes WA7 has wonderful synergy with the LCDX. The Yggy would be great too as the DAC component of the WA7 is the bottleneck.

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #7,162 of 12,748
X is great with WA7... that's my chain.  Just make sure you get the WA7tp with it.  I use a McIntosh D100 as my DAC which steps it up a notch but the WA7 internal DAC is no slouch either.

Nov 9, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #7,163 of 12,748
  I have decided to pull the plug for the LCD-Xs about a week ago. Since then i have been enjoying every minute of it. Everything sounds so much more real than my previous K702.

I intend to add Yggdrasil as a DAC and use it for potential speaker setup as well. 

I was thinking

PC==>Yggy==>WA7==>LCD-X
and

Do you guys think that the WA7 is sufficient for LCD-X? Any one have experienced on a speaker amp for the Focal?

Focal makes some great speakers, but I don't want to get off the thread topic here. Send me a pm and I'll give you my two cents on an amp for the speakers. Unfortunately I'm limited to a paltry one PM per day
confused.gif
as a new member, so keep that in mind if I'm slow to respond.

Nov 9, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #7,164 of 12,748
  X is great with WA7... that's my chain.  Just make sure you get the WA7tp with it.  I use a McIntosh D100 as my DAC which steps it up a notch but the WA7 internal DAC is no slouch either.

Thank you for sharing that. Another nice nod for the WA7, which is on my shortlist for amp considerations. I suppose I've read enough at this point to share my shortlist and get other X owners to weigh in and share their thoughts. So let me know what you guys think. In order of interest, I have the following:

1: Pathos Aurium ($1395)
2: Schiit Ragnarok ($1699-budget stretch)
3: WA7 with WA7tp and a few tube upgrades (~$1600-$1700)

They are all roughly in the $1,500 range. The Aurium I've heard for a good 4 to 5 hours on two separate occasions at the dealer and it originally sold me on the LCD-X to begin with, so I'm heavily inclined to buy it because I know how it sounds and thought it was absolutely stunning. Of course, before I pull the trigger, I'd love to see what people have to say about the other two.

Also, as a note, I spent some time with the Prima Luna HP integrated amp while there, using it's single-ended HP output and could comment on it if anyone should ever need some input there. Currently, that would be out of my budget for the time being.

My only other experience is with my Oppo 105 headphone amp and, well, you can guess how I feel about it from the fact that I'm shopping for a standalone amp now
rolleyes.gif

I PMed one member who used to own the WA7, fully upgraded, but now has the Ragnarok in his equipment list, so that should be interesting. I can share his response if he gives me permission to do so. Hopefully in my limited experiences I can help someone out.

Nov 9, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #7,165 of 12,748

I was thinking

PC==>Yggy==>WA7==>LCD-X
and

Do not have the Focal Diablo, though have the previous model (Focal Micro Utopia BE).

Had a Marantz PM11S1 integrated amp which was very good, though a bit polite.
Got a Pass Labs INT-30A integrated amp which was a great upgrade, only 30W Class A 
though enough to get the job done. Believe Pass Labs make a 60W Class A now as well.

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #7,166 of 12,748
All,
Just an update from my side.  I was an early adopter of the LCD-X and then added the XC for a closed Audez'e option.  Both cans have excellent and very different SQ.  My wife and I listen together often enough to have dual-Audez'e cans.

Anyway, after a lot of listening, soul searching, and reading the LCD-4 early-adopter impressions thread, we decided to sell the XC and purchase a 2nd pair of the X for our Audez'e listening sessions.  As Jason wrote so well in a previous chapter, we decided the X is "good enough for now."  We had considered the option of dual LCD-4's but that is a really big decision.  Maybe once the LCD-4 technology gets a bit more proven and our wallets get a bit fatter.

As always, enjoy your music!!

Cheers -
RCB

Nov 9, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #7,167 of 12,748
^Well darn it Dick, I was hoping that you would get the 4's so that I could enjoy them vicariously:wink:..

Nov 9, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #7,168 of 12,748
Nov 10, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #7,169 of 12,748
  All,
Just an update from my side.  I was an early adopter of the LCD-X and then added the XC for a closed Audez'e option.  Both cans have excellent and very different SQ.  My wife and I listen together often enough to have dual-Audez'e cans.

Anyway, after a lot of listening, soul searching, and reading the LCD-4 early-adopter impressions thread, we decided to sell the XC and purchase a 2nd pair of the X for our Audez'e listening sessions.  As Jason wrote so well in a previous chapter, we decided the X is "good enough for now."  We had considered the option of dual LCD-4's but that is a really big decision.  Maybe once the LCD-4 technology gets a bit more proven and our wallets get a bit fatter.

As always, enjoy your music!!

Cheers -
RCB

In my opinion the x is a much better headphone than the xc - unless its imperative to have a closed-back, of course.

Nov 10, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #7,170 of 12,748
I have both and use both daily and to be honest I think both have their merits and both have equally compelling sound characteristics.  I love the greater impact of the XC but also love the lighter weight and less closed sound of the X.  I wouldn't say one is 'better' then the other and they both have their place.  I'm tapping my toes to each, just at different times.  Add an improved lighter more comfortable headband to them and i'm good to go for another few years until the 6s come out to fix all the problems with the 5s which fixed the problems with the 4s :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back