Audeze LCD-X
Oct 28, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #7,111 of 12,748
Probably too early for that. Most Audeze LCD owners probably prefer desktop amps as well. Audeze is not overly practical as portable HP's. :wink:

Speaking of desktop amps, I think I'm going to eventually pass my WA7tp on to my girlfriend when she moves in with me(I got her hooked on headphone stuff with that amp and my LCD-Xs..brilliant move if marriage is in the future..). I see you have a WA22? I've been eyeing that one for a while now. What are your impressions of the LCD-X with that amp, and the different tubes you have? I'm reading reviews that it's not as warm and liquid sounding as the WA2(my preference is bassy, smooth, and very 3D), but more detail oriented. I bet those articles are impressions with stock tubes though. Also idk if a WA2 is even an upgrade from a WA7tp with my CBS Hytron ps tubes. I'm looking to go Rega Dac/R for added warmth and musicality on the front end anyway, but I'd like to see what another LCD-X/WA22 owner thinks is best based on their impressions.

Oct 28, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #7,112 of 12,748
 Also idk if a WA2 is even an upgrade from a WA7tp with my CBS Hytron ps tubes. I'm looking to go Rega Dac/R for added warmth and musicality on the front end anyway, but I'd like to see what another LCD-X/WA22 owner thinks is best based on their impressions.

WA2 will not sound good with LCD X, it is an OTL amp & generally they sound best with high impd HP's (typically 150 ohms & above). WA22 is quite good with LCD X.

Oct 28, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #7,113 of 12,748
I've heard about the good synergy between LCDX and WA7. How about this, is the jump in sound quality from WA7 to WA7tp very noticeable?

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #7,114 of 12,748
I've heard about the good synergy between LCDX and WA7. How about this, is the jump in sound quality from WA7 to WA7tp very noticeable?

I never owned the solid state psu WA7 so I'm not sure of the comparison. The tp version does sound absolutely amazing with the LCD-Xs once you roll in some better tubes to the power supply. Siemens ECC82, Sylvania JAN 5814, and my favorites the CBS Hytron 5814a tubes sound pretty breathtaking with the LCD-X.

Oct 28, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #7,115 of 12,748
Speaking of desktop amps, I think I'm going to eventually pass my WA7tp on to my girlfriend when she moves in with me(I got her hooked on headphone stuff with that amp and my LCD-Xs..brilliant move if marriage is in the future..). I see you have a WA22? I've been eyeing that one for a while now. What are your impressions of the LCD-X with that amp, and the different tubes you have? I'm reading reviews that it's not as warm and liquid sounding as the WA2(my preference is bassy, smooth, and very 3D), but more detail oriented. I bet those articles are impressions with stock tubes though. Also idk if a WA2 is even an upgrade from a WA7tp with my CBS Hytron ps tubes. I'm looking to go Rega Dac/R for added warmth and musicality on the front end anyway, but I'd like to see what another LCD-X/WA22 owner thinks is best based on their impressions.

Here is my tube arrangement with the WA22. I have 16 sets of everything (80 years worth) so I'm set up for my life with tubes and the WA22. I have tried many different types and personally like this combo.

I use the Brimar 5Z4GY rectifier, Tung Sol round plates 6C8G drivers and GE6AS7GA power tubes. Sound is heavenly. I can't fault. Contrails can back me up on the sound. He has heard and also ordered a WA22 for his LCD-X. Sounds is super lush, super holographic, deep bass and plenty of detail that never dominates. Never sounds harsh or dry.

The LCD-X teams up very well with the Oppo HA-1 SS amp as well. It gave me a surprise. Teamed up nicer than the LCD-3. When you switch to the WA22 tho the sound level advances many more steps.

WA2 will not sound good with LCD X, it is an OTL amp & generally they sound best with high impd HP's (typically 150 ohms & above). WA22 is quite good with LCD X.

Exactly. You will get a big hum of the WA2 with the LCD-X.

With the WA22 it is all about the tubes you put in. With stock tubes the amp is not much fun. I agree super detailed. No magic. Roll the tubes tho and you get whatever sound you desire.

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #7,116 of 12,748

Here is my tube arrangement with the WA22. I have 16 sets of everything (80 years worth) so I'm set up for my life with tubes and the WA22. I have tried many different types and personally like this combo.

I use the Brimar 5Z4GY rectifier, Tung Sol round plates 6C8G drivers and GE6AS7GA power tubes. Sound is heavenly. I can't fault. Contrails can back me up on the sound. He has heard and also ordered a WA22 for his LCD-X. Sounds is super lush, super holographic, deep bass and plenty of detail that never dominates. Never sounds harsh or dry.

The LCD-X teams up very well with the Oppo HA-1 SS amp as well. It gave me a surprise. Teamed up nicer than the LCD-3. When you switch to the WA22 tho the sound level advances many more steps.

Exactly. You will get a big hum of the WA2 with the LCD-X.

With the WA22 it is all about the tubes you put in. With stock tubes the amp is not much fun. I agree super detailed. No magic. Roll the tubes tho and you get whatever sound you desire.

Sweeeeet. You had me at super holographic, deep bass, and plenty of detail. That settles it for me then..definitely getting the WA22. That pic mighta made me drool a little. Are those tubes hard to come by for NOS versions? This'll probably be a semi-end game amp for me, cuz I'll eventually get the LCD-4s and call it quits for a while to work on the speaker system. Do you run the LCD-Xs using the balanced out? What audible differences if any does that have versus using the unbalanced jack?

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #7,117 of 12,748

Jawdropping visual. Set for life! I've never seen a level of commitment for audio equipment before... this must be something truly special.

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #7,118 of 12,748

Jawdropping visual. Set for life! I've never seen a level of commitment for audio equipment before... this must be something truly special.

I'd cry if someone told me I had to buy 16 sets of the nos Telefunken E88CC in my Lyr 2, one set was way more than I'd like to admit.

I think I'd cry for a different reason if I had 16 sets on hand though :)

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #7,119 of 12,748
Sweeeeet. You had me at super holographic, deep bass, and plenty of detail. That settles it for me then..definitely getting the WA22. That pic mighta made me drool a little. Are those tubes hard to come by for NOS versions? This'll probably be a semi-end game amp for me, cuz I'll eventually get the LCD-4s and call it quits for a while to work on the speaker system. Do you run the LCD-Xs using the balanced out? What audible differences if any does that have versus using the unbalanced jack?

I use the balanced connection. I have tried both and did not hear a difference. At a meet I had two LCD-X's plugged in. One on balanced. One on unbalanced. To my ears they were the same. I just use balanced as it gives a more solid feeling connection and on the HA-1 balanced gives you more volume gain over unbalanced.

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #7,120 of 12,748
I'd cry if someone told me I had to buy 16 sets of the nos Telefunken E88CC in my Lyr 2, one set was way more than I'd like to admit.

I think I'd cry for a different reason if I had 16 sets on hand though :)

Yes. Very committed to tubes. I just love their sound.

Here is some of my backups. Sorted in rectifiers, drivers and power tubes.

I also have stocks in the garage and at work. I might have a bit of a problem. :D

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #7,121 of 12,748

I also have stocks in the garage and at work. I might have a bit of a problem.
biggrin.gif

Wow, that is "badas" for sure!

Oct 29, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #7,122 of 12,748

I also have stocks in the garage and at work. I might have a bit of a problem.
biggrin.gif

tube·a·hol·ism
ˈtube,əhôˌlizəm/
noun
noun: tubeaholism
  • an addiction to the consumption or hoarding of audiophile-grade tubes (of varying types including rectifiers, drivers, power tubes, etc.) or the mental illness and compulsive behavior resulting from tube rolling dependency.
    "he had a long history of financial problems and tinnitus resulting from his tubeaholism"

Oct 29, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #7,123 of 12,748

tube·a·hol·ism
ˈtube,əhôˌlizəm/
noun
noun: tubeaholism
  • an addiction to the consumption or hoarding of audiophile-grade tubes (of varying types including rectifiers, drivers, power tubes, etc.) or the mental illness and compulsive behavior resulting from tube rolling dependency.
    "he had a long history of financial problems and tinnitus resulting from his tubeaholism"

Cool. They have a term for it. That makes me completely normal then.
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #7,124 of 12,748

I also have stocks in the garage and at work. I might have a bit of a problem. :D

:flushed:Sick! Sooo if I ever run into trouble finding those aforementioned WA22 NOS tubes, I could maybe pm you and play let's make a deal yeah? *crosses fingers*

Oct 30, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #7,125 of 12,748
:flushed:Sick! Sooo if I ever run into trouble finding those aforementioned WA22 NOS tubes, I could maybe pm you and play let's make a deal yeah? *crosses fingers*

:D They're mine, they're mine, all mine. My presious.

Bad isn't it? Get ready to be addictied and mean. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back