Audeze LCD-X
Jan 11, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #2,521 of 12,748
  Sorry, but I owned and enjoyed the T1s for many years. I actually owned the first pair sold in Canada in January of 2010.  That said, the LCD-X are the better headphones even though I still hold the T1s in high regard.

I am in total agreement.  I love the T1s, but I am infatuated by the LCD-X (and also by the LCD-XC, by the way).  Audeze has scored a major coup.

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #2,522 of 12,748
  Sorry, but I owned and enjoyed the T1s for many years. I actually owned the first pair sold in Canada in January of 2010.  That said, the LCD-X are the better headphones even though I still hold the T1s in high regard.

I replaced the PureDAC with a Mjolnir + Yulong DA8, and while the Yulong doesn't have the same great tone that the PureDAC has, it's still pretty damn good.  And the Mjolnir really makes the LCD-X sound great.  I think all the issues I had (aside from USB) were with the PureDAC's headphone amp section.

Now the question is am I going to use all of this enough to stop myself from selling it?

Maybe.

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #2,523 of 12,748
Do you have the X listed now, how much are you looking to get for it?

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #2,524 of 12,748
  I replaced the PureDAC with a Mjolnir + Yulong DA8, and while the Yulong doesn't have the same great tone that the PureDAC has, it's still pretty damn good.  And the Mjolnir really makes the LCD-X sound great.  I think all the issues I had (aside from USB) were with the PureDAC's headphone amp section.

Now the question is am I going to use all of this enough to stop myself from selling it?

Maybe.

I've never been a fan of the Schitt products, but I can attest that the LCD-Xs sound great out of the Mjolnir; on the other hand, there are other head-fiers who find the LCD-Xs too bright out of the Mjolnir.  In my opinion, the Audezes (including the Xs) thrive with brighter sources, since it makes them sound more detailed and somehow counteracts the darker sound that Audezes are known for.  Dark sounding sources with Audezes (even the rather neutral Xs) can be deadly, particularly for me since I listen almost exclusively to classical music.

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #2,526 of 12,748

He said "This is where the lackluster dynamics of the PD's headphone output gave me sadpants.". This is the same as what I've found with all the Audeze planars if they are used from an amp that doesn't have the use of planars in mind in the design -- the sound is disappointing. Likewise high-impedance headphones such as the HD-800s from amps that can't consistently provide good voltage swing -- the soundstage sounds collapsed. I'm lucky though, in that I have amps here that do well with both.

I was referring to  cizx's comments that the Audez'e headphones he tried do not sound as musical as T1 - Quotes : "Compared to the Beyerdynamic T1, [LCD-X] is more neutral and, I think, less musical (but I love the tonality of the T1)"..."I still haven't heard [the album] sound better than it did with my T1."
Doesn't matter what amp is used, any Audez'e headphones do not have as good 'euphonic' sound as T1. It is even unfair to compare them, the electrodynamics will always trump the planar magnetics in this aspect of sound presentation and on top of it T1 is a master in its class. If I had to give an analogy to tell the difference between an Audez'e headphones and T1 of the ease-of-flow and liveliness of sound then I would say an Audez'e headphones' sound is like a dance of a fat leaden footed dancer and the T1's sound is like a dance of a young and graceful ballet dancer in her prime. Planar magnetics do have leaden tonality compared to the electrodynamic headphones. This shows that there are no perfect headphones, each headphones technology has its advantages and disadvantages and it is left to each one to decide what kind of sound one wants to hear.

I'd suggest an "IMO" in there. I think what you have issue with is the frequency response of the Audeze cans, which can sound as you describe to some degree. Have you tried the Hifiman planars?

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #2,527 of 12,748
Anyone know if the Audeze guys (and gals) are okay? lol  I sent them an email a week and a half ago with money in hand, ready to buy the LCD-X. No response. I sent them a follow-up a few days ago and still haven't heard back. In the past I've gotten a response within 24 hr. 

Dear Audeze: I have money to give you. Don't leave me hangin'!

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #2,528 of 12,748
Anyone know if the Audeze guys (and gals) are okay? lol  I sent them an email a week and a half ago with money in hand, ready to buy the LCD-X. No response. I sent them a follow-up a few days ago and still haven't heard back. In the past I've gotten a response within 24 hr. 

I had an issue with my LCD-2 cable and wrote them about it a week ago, no response from them yet. Maybe someone in their customer service department is on sick leave or something?

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #2,529 of 12,748

I had an issue with my LCD-2 cable and wrote them about it a week ago, no response from them yet. Maybe someone in their customer service department is on sick leave or something?

Must be if it's happening to you, as well. I would just go ahead and order, but I need to talk to them first...oh well, I guess they'll get to us when they're back in the office (?)

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #2,530 of 12,748

Call them at this number:
Tel: (657) 464-7029
Monday thru Friday 10am to 5pm pst and Ivana will take care of you. They ship same day if you pay with Paypal. I bought the LCD XC yesterday and received it early this morning. They're currently at a show in Las Vegas and will be back Monday

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #2,531 of 12,748
Call them at this number:
Tel: (657) 464-7029
Monday thru Friday 10am to 5pm pst and Ivana will take care of you. They ship same day if you pay with Paypal. I bought the LCD XC yesterday and received it early this morning. They're currently at a show in Las Vegas and will be back Monday

Ahhh, okay...that explains it. Thanks!!

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #2,532 of 12,748
Thanks firestarter, that would explain it. That's really quick shipping for your XC's too - 1 day!

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #2,533 of 12,748
Yeah I opted for $40.00 overnight fedEX, but Ivana was nice enough to bump me up to Saturday delivery for free on top of the overnight shipping, so everything went better than expected

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #2,534 of 12,748
Have you written up any impressions on them as of yet? I'd be interested to hear more about your experience since you've heard both the X and XC

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #2,535 of 12,748

Much of the staff is as at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Vegas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back