Audeze LCD-X
Jan 14, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #2,551 of 12,748

Figaro - would you recommend for classical music the HD800 or LCD-X?

Tough call.  I think the LCD-X is the better headphone because every music genre sounds great out of it, including classical.  The HD800 is wonderful with classical and the soundstage is unbeatable, but they require a warm source/amp, are picky to drive, and can be hit or miss with music other than classical.  I have both, I love both, I switch between one and the other.  With bright recordings (e.g., anything by Deutsche Grammophone, for instance, specially those nasty-sounding, dry, treble-fierce Karajan recordings), I would always pick the LCD-X over the HD-800...here that Audeze warmth wins the day and makes the recordings sound bearable, since the Xs are more forgiving.  With wonderful-sounding recordings, the choice is less clear and I'll call it a tie; but if it's huge soundstage for huge orchestral works what you are looking for, then the HD800 is your man; if you like more euphony and caresses to your ears, then LCD-X is it.  Tough choice...it's great to have both in my headphone stable.  The best two pairs of headphones I've ever heard, although the LCD-XC and T1s are definitely not far behind.

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #2,552 of 12,748
So, 

It took me a while to find my amp/source for my LCD-X, but I now have my Naim DAC-V1, and I love it! They sound really good together! I'm looking forward to the DAC breaking in over the next few days but find it completely enjoyable already. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #2,553 of 12,748
Congrats.. another Naim DAC-V1 owner.. not many of us. Glad to hear that there is synergy with the LCD-X.  It's on my list of next potential headphones. OT.. just a hint.. my V1 is worse than a tube amp for taking its time after power up to sound its best. 

Quote:

Jan 15, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #2,556 of 12,748
Just got my pair in all black ordered...hope to have them by Friday if Audeze gets them shipped out on Wed. 

Do you guys have any tips on break in? I don't really take a position on that either way, but curious what you all have experienced. 

Will be so nice to have a pair of Audeze back in the house...was so hard to send back the LCD2s! My suffering is finally about to come to an end...

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #2,557 of 12,748
  Just got my pair in all black ordered...hope to have them by Friday if Audeze gets them shipped out on Wed.

Do you guys have any tips on break in? I don't really take a position on that either way, but curious what you all have experienced.

Will be so nice to have a pair of Audeze back in the house...was so hard to send back the LCD2s! My suffering is finally about to come to an end...

No need for break-in...these babies are ready to go once you open the box!

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #2,558 of 12,748
I found the sound to be alot smoother and more liquid after about 20-25 hours for both the X and the XC

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #2,560 of 12,748

Cool.  I had my LCD-2s for a year and loved them, but after hearing the LCD-Xs--they're at another level. My brain needed a day or two to adjust to the new signature, but that's all I noticed as far as burn-in.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #2,563 of 12,748
  I find the LCD-X is in the Ultrasone ED-10 category a huge failure, the X has one of the poorest midrange like a void where all details are lost

when u say details - is it mostly in the higher frequency rather than mid range ?
u   lost me here .....

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #2,564 of 12,748

I find the LCD-X is in the Ultrasone ED-10 category a huge failure, the X has one of the poorest midrange like a void where all details are lost

when u say details - is it mostly in the higher frequency rather than mid range ?
u   lost me here .....

thinker wrote "(...) midrange (...) where all details are lost." that's quite clear, isn't it?

Frankly along burn-in, let's say between 50 and 70 hrs, my LCX-X became rather "un-defined" in the midrange as well, and I already started to get nervous. Then suddenly the midrange kind of re-adjusted itself practically from one day to another, and since that they sound wonderfully transparent. I am now at approx. 200 hrs and I hope it remains like that. I only experienced similar effect in the 1980s with Jecklin Float electrostatic phones which reacted very sensitive on changes of temperature and/or humidity. I remember some others were also reporting about similar effects with different electrostatic speakers and phones. In this case the effect would be independent of burn-in and could reappear at any time. Still, the LCD is not an elecrostatic phone, so I guess ( hope) it should be rather free of such reactions to changing external conditions.

Anyway, I do not know what caused it, but I will observe....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back