Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Apr 8, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #2,643 of 4,796
What do you mean by "which model"? Are you referring to a DAP or a DAC? As for the Earhooks, yes, the stock ear hooks can be uncomfortable. Some of us have been doing some DIY mods to the Earhooks that helps alleviate these issues.

1. Bend the Earhooks:
This method works the best for me. It was inspired by someone here on the thread. With the application of heat from a heat gun or burner in the kitchen, I bend the earhooks to an angle that hugs my ear. The trick is to find the correct angle that works for your ears. For me, its just a narrow bend instead of a wide arc.

2. @kubig123 's Rubber Tube mod:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...itor-discussion.850292/page-104#post-13998779

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...itor-discussion.850292/page-104#post-14000777

Tell me about it. Audeze really needs to sell the Earhooks separately.

Lol, I didn't know about the $40 discount on the Groovy kit until now. So I have always ordered this one which comes with 2 Medium Earhooks: https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/isine-accessory-kit

WhAt r those tissue covering for please? Camouflage?

Apr 8, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #2,644 of 4,796
How long would each pair last for u usually?
So far I broke 4 pairs in a little bit more than 1.5 years.

I broke 2 pairs when I was trying to remove the hook to store the LCD-i4 in to the carrying case (before a trip..), while the other 2 I broke during "normal usage".
So far the "new ones" seem a bit more more "flexible".. based on memory the old ones were a bit stiffer, but maybe it is just my mind..

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #2,647 of 4,796
IMG_0920.jpeg
Hmm. I seem to have broken several! "Don't worry, they won't break"!

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #2,649 of 4,796
mee too. i break them just by looking at them it seems lately :)

I think they mean the ear hooks won't break when you first put them on. It seems like they might break if you force them, but you have to push past that to snap them in right?

And, they are correct, they don't break as you install them new. In my experience anyway, they only break as they wear out over time.

I have some of the new hooks and I heard they were made of more durable material. I hope that is the case. Can an Audeze rep. respond and confirm that?

Apr 22, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #2,650 of 4,796
And, they are correct, they don't break as you install them new. In my experience anyway, they only break as they wear out over time.

I've broken a lot of earhooks, but only when putting them on. I don't do anything different. They just decide to give up on life. I decided to stop taking them off and rigged up a Pelican case with foam to accommodate that. No more snapping and it's way more convenient and secure.

Apr 22, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #2,651 of 4,796
I've broken a lot of earhooks, but only when putting them on. I don't do anything different. They just decide to give up on life. I decided to stop taking them off and rigged up a Pelican case with foam to accommodate that. No more snapping and it's way more convenient and secure.

Yeah, that's what I mean. They don't break, as I mentioned, when you "install them–new." It's only as they wear out over time, right?

I went the same route and avoided ever taking the hooks off and putting them back on, so as not to stress them. However, even so, they still break over time for me, which is why I'm hoping the new hooks are more durable.

Apr 26, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #2,652 of 4,796
After much deliberation and searching, I finally picked up an LCDi4 B-stock unit from an Audeze authorized dealer a couple of months ago. Unfortunately the unit had excessive "crinkling" in one of the drivers from the moment I put them on, so awesome Audeze customer service replaced it with a new B-stock unit.

The sound is incredible so far, but I'm hearing some driver rattle from the left driver only. This really only occurs when there is general silence in the track except for low bass notes. For instance, in the track "Got to Keep On" by the Chemical Brothers, from 5:00 to the end of the song at 5:16, I can hear it when the bass thumps. I've had driver rattle before in some of my headphones (HE400S), but I feel like this should not occur in a $1000 unit, especially since it doesn't occur in the right driver.

Have any other LCDi4 users experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 26, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #2,653 of 4,796
Yup, me too; left side driver rattle. Not really a biggie but it is annoying.

Apr 26, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #2,654 of 4,796
Crinkling sound is quite common and is mostly harmless, as long as it is not too loud and doesn't happen when music is playing. On my unit, it is minimal and I hear it only when I am wearing the i4. My first unit had much louder crinkling and Audeze replaced the unit. If bass notes make the crinkling audible, then it sounds like a defective unit. Probably best to return the unit or contact Audeze for exchange.

Apr 26, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #2,655 of 4,796
Crinkling sound is quite common and is mostly harmless, as long as it is not too loud and doesn't happen when music is playing. On my unit, it is minimal and I hear it only when I am wearing the i4. My first unit had much louder crinkling and Audeze replaced the unit. If bass notes make the crinkling audible, then it sounds like a defective unit. Probably best to return the unit or contact Audeze for exchange.
Unfortunately for this second pair, the rattling is only occurring during music playback (around sub-bass heavy regions where there is otherwise no other sound playing) and not when I'm moving my head around or shifting or inserting the units. This was the crinkling problem with my first pair - the two issues also sound different. The second pair is a huge improvement, but it's still annoying.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back