Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Oct 25, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #2,326 of 4,795
Could someone who has used an aftermarket cable with the LCDi4 in balanced mode comment on their impact on SQ? The stock cable does sound excellent, and seems to be very well made, but it does not offer any balanced connectivity options. However, I know some of my components (such as the A&K Kann, or the Violectric V281) perform better when used in balanced mode, and this is why I am curious to know to what extent the LCDi4 will scale up its sq (if it it does at all) when used in balanced mode with the right alternative cable.

If anyone with first hand experience can comment on whether a balanced cable is worth investing in under such circumstances, your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
There is an instant improvement in the SQ when you go balanced. If you use v281 unbalanced out with lcd i4, only 2 amps will work. With balanced connection all 4 amps will work. V281 is best driven balanced. I use an ultrashort adapter by double helix cables for Male XLR to 2.5 mm conversion. This also works with my mass kobo 424; balanced portable amplifier.
Go ahead & get a balanced cable.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #2,327 of 4,795
I got mine in a few days ago and they already have to go back. Just today the left earpiece started making a soft, crinkly sound if I walked around the office. Then I noticed when I made any movement it would make some noise.

If I touch the backs of the earpieces, one doesn't do anything but the other is crackling city.

It really sucks.

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #2,328 of 4,795
I got mine in a few days ago and they already have to go back. Just today the left earpiece started making a soft, crinkly sound if I walked around the office. Then I noticed when I made any movement it would make some noise.

If I touch the backs of the earpieces, one doesn't do anything but the other is crackling city.

It really sucks.

right there with you mine did the same thing and this is not my first rodeo w Audeze products. I know a defective one when I hear it and seems like audeze is unknowingly reselling faulty products. incredibly underwhelmed with the i4’s and regret jumping on this b stock sale. sometimes when it’s too good to be true...

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #2,329 of 4,795
As others have mentioned, the earhooks + rubber tubing help a lot with improving fit. I put extra tubing on mine and filled it with memory wire :)

Too bad Audeze doesn't have a better stock solution...

20181025_172909.jpg

Anyone have any other tip rolling recommendations? I'm still experimenting with putting foam in the stock tips to help with the occasional crinkling and possibly improve the fit even more

Oct 25, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #2,330 of 4,795
The B-Stock set I originally got had very slight imperfections in the finish along the seam where the magnesium met plastic but only upon very close examination. I didn't care at all. Sounded fantastic.

The new one I got in replacement had this weird thing where the earhook on the right side can freely rotate while the left side takes some force to adjust. I wish both sides were loose actually since it's a lot easier to get it in a comfortable position. Long-term owners: do the earhooks loosen up over time?
i believe, whole of it is made of magnesium alloy.

Oct 25, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #2,331 of 4,795
As others have mentioned, the earhooks + rubber tubing help a lot with improving fit. I put extra tubing on mine and filled it with memory wire :)

Anyone have any other tip rolling recommendations? I'm still experimenting with putting foam in the stock tips to help with the occasional crinkling and possibly improve the fit even more

I landed on the spiral dots in the short time that I had them. The stock tips didn't really work for me very well.

Oct 25, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #2,332 of 4,795
right there with you mine did the same thing and this is not my first rodeo w Audeze products. I know a defective one when I hear it and seems like audeze is unknowingly reselling faulty products. incredibly underwhelmed with the i4’s and regret jumping on this b stock sale. sometimes when it’s too good to be true...

Yep.

My right and your left might make a good pair.

I have no idea what their response will be. I hope I don't have to wait for the next customer return. Hopefully, they've already got some back in B stock.

Pretty disappointing, actually. Mine went from okay to bad in three days. I think I've ever only had one iem in the past that quit working. Makes me a bit apprehensive about getting another one. Any idea how long their warranty is?

Oct 25, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #2,334 of 4,795

Everybody’s ears are different but the general consensus (and certainly my experience) is that you need to abandon your typical understanding of what you are looking for in terms of getting a deal with the i4s. They seem to work best with a shallow very insertion, really more covering the opening of your ear rather than going in and plugging it with a traditional deep iem seal. For me, the audeze ribbed tips have worked the best, although they take a little getting used to. Once you have used them a bit, they become quite comfortable. With the covering the ear canal vs inserting, the i4s really disappear and I have always gotten the best sound quality as well. If course, there are some who like going with foam tips or other more traditional tips, but For me, a larger than usual size stock tip works best (I normally use medium tips with items, but use large for i4).

Oct 26, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #2,335 of 4,795
After demoing I had to get these! The best IEMs I have ever heard, I think because they does not sound at all like an IEM but rather TOTL full size open-back headphones. Almost like having my home set up in the office!

I just received my new set, When I opened the package I noticed there were ear hooks but no ear locks. And there were only two black ear hooks, I was expecting an additional clear one. Also, the case was vinyl and synthetic leather, but I was expecting a genuine leather case. Everything I have seen on line indicated that these things should have been included. My dealer is following up, but I wonder what people have experienced, especially for more recent purchases. I am hoping it is just a packaging error. I would be disappointed if they are trying to save on accessories for something in this price range.

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #2,337 of 4,795
After demoing I had to get these! The best IEMs I have ever heard, I think because they does not sound at all like an IEM but rather TOTL full size open-back headphones. Almost like having my home set up in the office!

I just received my new set, When I opened the package I noticed there were ear hooks but no ear locks. And there were only two black ear hooks, I was expecting an additional clear one. Also, the case was vinyl and synthetic leather, but I was expecting a genuine leather case. Everything I have seen on line indicated that these things should have been included. My dealer is following up, but I wonder what people have experienced, especially for more recent purchases. I am hoping it is just a packaging error. I would be disappointed if they are trying to save on accessories for something in this price range.

I also received two pairs of black ear hooks. I have fit issues and emailed customer service acout the ear locks and was told they do not include those anymore. I was told I could purchase them while they have stock.

Sounded to me like the ear locks would be discontinued.

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #2,338 of 4,795
I also received two pairs of black ear hooks. I have fit issues and emailed customer service acout the ear locks and was told they do not include those anymore. I was told I could purchase them while they have stock.

Sounded to me like the ear locks would be discontinued.

I didn't get ear locks or a leather case when I got my i4 a few months. For $2500, would have really liked the leather case!

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #2,339 of 4,795
I didn't get ear locks or a leather case when I got my i4 a few months. For $2500, would have really liked the leather case!
Ehh...the leather case is not great; it offers little protection. You're better off with another 'real' case to protect the i4 during transit.

I would have preferred a more protective case...

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #2,340 of 4,795
I got my i4's about 6 months ago and no earlocks. Wouldn't use them anyway. But they did come with two sets of hooks. Both black but different sizes. Also leather case. But I picked up a small Pelican case to carry i4s and A&K player. Very secure now. After all a major investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back