Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jul 31, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #2,028 of 4,796
Hi Guys,

I've just purchased a used LCDi4 from the a fellow headfier and unfortunately the ear hooks that fit me best (the smaller ones) one is missing (unfortunately it was broken by the previous owner)

Would anyone who doesn't use this size like to sell me theirs?

Alternatively its going to cost me about 80 dollars to order an accessory kit directly from Audeze and get them delivered to the UK which seems a bit steep considering I only actually need one ear hook

Any help or support from my fellow head-fi would be very much appreciated

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #2,029 of 4,796
Hi Guys,

I've just purchased a used LCDi4 from the a fellow headfier and unfortunately the ear hooks that fit me best (the smaller ones) one is missing (unfortunately it was broken by the previous owner)

Would anyone who doesn't use this size like to sell me theirs?

Alternatively its going to cost me about 80 dollars to order an accessory kit directly from Audeze and get them delivered to the UK which seems a bit steep considering I only actually need one ear hook

Any help or support from my fellow head-fi would be very much appreciated
You can get them from Scan in the UK

Aug 3, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #2,032 of 4,796
Can anyone recommend a good set of ear tips? Im leaning towards the CP155s but i'm curious, where did you all buy yours from?
Hi, I use the CP 155 too, they are the best I have found for the Lcdi4

Aug 3, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #2,034 of 4,796
what?! there is revision for i4 too?? what's the difference between 1st gen and 2nd gen? how we can tell each one apart please? thanks.

Well, first you notice the outside case is different, no longer "leather" type. Then the carry-on case is also material, not leather. Slight differences here.

But then, I may be wrong since I say this from memory and haven't tested A/B, but the overall fidelity of 2nd revision is higher at least to me. I wasn't really impressed with the 1st i4s very much. But with the 2nd ones I'm very happy. What exactly changed, it is hard to say for me. Maybe an Audeze rep will help and answer that. I will also write if I remember something more specific.

Aug 3, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #2,035 of 4,796
PS: also the 2pin connectors are of higher quality. These are tight now. The 1st LCD-i4s had loose connectors. That was the main problem. Some of you may know that 2pin plugs come in two versions really: the loose and the tight type.

PS 2: And I still have some problems with my drivers. 1st batch had completely different feeling on the left side: one side was closed design, that means that driver put pressure on my ear when it entered the ear canal, and the other one not only allowed the ear to pass through, but also made some crackling sound in the process, as if the driver was broken (but wasn't, it played well). However it sounded still a bit different as one driver put some pressure on my ear drum and the other didn't.
Then the 2nd batch seemed to not have this problem until it... did, in a way. There's definitely no longer a crackling "broken driver" sound, but one of the drivers is kinda closed and the other is open, again. I may say this for certain, cause it works this way even if I switch it to the other ear (as in left phone to right ear). The problem is much smaller than in the 1st batch though and I learned to insert them very slightly, so there would be no closed space / venting and both sides would sound the same. So I'm not very happy with Audeze quality, but I'm happy overall, as they sound perfect now and are in fact a TOTL close to endgame earphones.
I wonder if you guys have the same issues. And if not, which ones do you have: a closed or open air flow, when entering the ear canal?

Aug 3, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #2,036 of 4,796
Interesting. I have never experienced any variance between ear pieces at all on mine. The connectors would intermittently fall out which is a PITA. BUT after getting the Norne Audio Therium cable, that problem was resolved satisfactorily. So now no issues with mine. I did get some 6mm rubber tubing to put on the ear hooks which is very nice.

Side note: I should get the Gilmore Lite Mk2 amp today to go along with the Hugo 2. Anxious to try with both the LCDi4 and the LCD-X to see how they sound with the amp and H2 in line-out mode.

Aug 3, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #2,037 of 4,796
Well, first you notice the outside case is different, no longer "leather" type. Then the carry-on case is also material, not leather. Slight differences here.

But then, I may be wrong since I say this from memory and haven't tested A/B, but the overall fidelity of 2nd revision is higher at least to me. I wasn't really impressed with the 1st i4s very much. But with the 2nd ones I'm very happy. What exactly changed, it is hard to say for me. Maybe an Audeze rep will help and answer that. I will also write if I remember something more specific.

I can agree with some of these impressions. I had a pair that came shortly after they were released. It did come with a leather carrying case, the connectors fit loosely, and the sound had more of a pronounced dip in the low trebles. This was effectively corrected by the Reveal plugin. However, due to some issues, Audeze was kind enough to replace these, and that pair that came later in their production cycle. This i4 did come with a fabric case (which I actually prefer) and the connectors did happily fit tighter. I also could swear that they were tuned with more clarity in the trebles. To my ears they sounded closer to the ideal frequency response as presented by the Reveal plugin.

Like Piotr I did not have the chance to A/B them so this is also judging the difference from memory. I only add my fuzzy account to the anecdotes floating around here. There is no official confirmation of any revision 2 and I'm not entirely sure what they did to the tuning if anything.

Aug 3, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #2,040 of 4,796
I find the stock câble good and use it. I have tried some others and for the moment I prefer the stock one but it is in 3,5mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back