Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Aug 3, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #2,041 of 4,796
I agree the stock cable is good, although a little short for my desk set up, and as you point out it’ is 3.5mm. I really want to make use of the balanced jack out of my player. I borrowed the Ares 11 cable off my Phantoms just to try out and it was noticeably better than the stock cable. Difficult to say if this was down to the extra juice of the 2.5 jack on the SP1000, the cable or both. I would also need to remove the memory wire on the Ares 11 to make the ergonomics fit for i4, then that would leave the cable not ideal for the Phantom.

Any suggestions or experience share would be much appreciated.

Aug 3, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #2,042 of 4,796
Hi guys, new owner here. Any recommendations on a replacement cable?

Im looking for something in 2.5 balanced that would be used with my SP1000

Thanks

After trying quite a few cables, I finally found a cable that matches very well with the i4. It’s the Eros II 8W ($600). It pairs with the i4 better than the more expensive Leonidas and 1960 2W. Here is what I wrote in my review on the Eros II 8W:

Eros8 vs Audeze LCD-i4 Stock SPC:

Compared to the Eros8, the SPC cable sounds almost ‘U’ shaped due to its sucked out mid-range. The quantity and the quality of the sub-bass and mid-bass are almost similar on both the cables, with the SPC exhibiting just a touch stronger sub-bass. The treble is brighter and sometimes splashy on the SPC, where as it is more linear and slightly smoother on the Eros8. Eros8’s mid-range not only has more body, but also sounds a little warmer and exhibits better transparency and resolution.

The technical aspects are mostly similar on both cables, although SPC creates separation and airiness of stage using its lean note structure. Overall, Eros8 is the more coherent sounding cable than the SPC. Finally I have a cable that I can unreservedly recommend over the stock SPC cable for the LCD-i4. I would actually go to the extent of recommending the Eros8 over most SPC cables as it simply is the more mature and coherent sounding cable.

Aug 3, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #2,043 of 4,796
Thank you for your feedback EagleWings. I've gotta say im having a lovely time experimenting with the cable and connections. Having tried both the stock cable SE and the Ares 11, SE and balanced out of the SP1000 Im now 100% convinced balanced is definitely the way to go. I also tried both cables out of the Dave using adapters driving the i4 to see how they compared. Again the Ares 11 won over the stock cable for me in this combination, although both sound excellent in this set up the Ares 11 similar to the Eros you described, added more body with a touch of warmth whilst sounding more coherent throughout the range. It's early in the day but im leaning towards Ares8 to cover the bases. I could probably pair it with either the Phantom or i4 and be very happy with the results.

Aug 3, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #2,044 of 4,796
Just get a Norne Audio Therium in pure silver litz. My i4 sound really nice with this cable. Although mine is SE since there are no balnced outputs on the Hugo 2. New Gilmore Lite Mk II arrives today but that will still be SE.
Will have to spend up a lot to go full balanced.

Aug 3, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #2,045 of 4,796
no, i just joined my first forum ever.
Palash, can you tell me how images are added here?- i tried dropbox and google drive, both doesn't seem to work!

Thanks

If you in Europe try Oidio

Aug 3, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #2,046 of 4,796
Just get a Norne Audio Therium in pure silver litz. My i4 sound really nice with this cable. Although mine is SE since there are no balnced outputs on the Hugo 2. New Gilmore Lite Mk II arrives today but that will still be SE.
Will have to spend up a lot to go full balanced.

Let me share an observation. This is something I tested on Hugo 2 with various headphones. Between the 3.5mm and the 6.3mm sockets on the Hugo 2, the 6.3mm socket sounds slightly better. I am not sure, if it is a difference due to 3.5mm port being close to a noisy internal part that makes the sound inferior, or if it is the larger surface area of contact on the 6.3mm socket that provides the improvement (larger the surface area of contact = less resistance). So these days, I use the 6.3mm port on the Hugo 2 with my 3.5mm Female to 6.3mm Male adapter, when using my earphones and i4 that have a 3.5mm plug. If I wasn't using my earphones and i4 through a DAP, I might even consider getting my cables reterminated with a 6.3mm jack.

The i4 scales quite decently with desktop amps. You can expect improvements in 3 areas compared to the H2. Larger stage, stronger impact and Better macro-dynamics. But what you would lose is the resolution in the mid-range, imaging precision and the pitch black background. The amp would also be slightly smoother and forgiving than the H2.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #2,047 of 4,796
I tried the 6.3mm port before hooking up the new amp. I really did not hear any appreciable difference. THEN I connected in the GLMk2 to the chain.

Oh. My. Gosh. This is beautiful. Stage widened up, timbre improves, of course will just have its way with the LCDi4 and the LCD-X. Just sick.

I can honestly say that this group of components handily beats my old Schiit Gungnir / Mjolnir (original) that I put thousands of hours on. This little setup is just sick.

Aug 3, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #2,048 of 4,796
Thanks

There is lots of room for improvement. The stock cable is decent, but not very good and neither is it good looking. Anything above 5N, preferably OCC copper, 8 wires, even better clarity with silver. I have tested several cables with them and right now am using Forza Claire Cu mostly because my silver cables are either replugged or broken, but I will get back to them. I'm also waiting for Cipher cable, since I really wanted to use them with my iPhone for Tidal, having read that people liked the Cipher thing and it really does work great for my EL8 Titanium. Apart from Cipher, I would go for silver with LCD-i4. And one more thing: I have never heard any other headphone that would change as much with a change of the cable. They are ULTRA sensitive. They could be used as a cable measurement system. Really.

Aug 3, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #2,049 of 4,796
There is lots of room for improvement. The stock cable is decent, but not very good and neither is it good looking. Anything above 5N, preferably OCC copper, 8 wires, even better clarity with silver. I have tested several cables with them and right now am using Forza Claire Cu mostly because my silver cables are either replugged or broken, but I will get back to them. I'm also waiting for Cipher cable, since I really wanted to use them with my iPhone for Tidal, having read that people liked the Cipher thing and it really does work great for my EL8 Titanium. Apart from Cipher, I would go for silver with LCD-i4. And one more thing: I have never heard any other headphone that would change as much with a change of the cable. They are ULTRA sensitive. They could be used as a cable measurement system. Really.

Well I wouldn’t say it’s ultra sensitive. On the contrary, the stock cable is actually quite good. I’m using Norne’s Silvergarde, and while it does improve the sound, the improvement isn’t that significant (relative to the improvement of other IEMs’ stock cable). It adds a touch more air, visceral bass impact and smoother treble, but not night and day differences. I also believe that the differences might be contributed more by having the 4.4mm connector on the Silvergade. Do note that I’m using EQ on my 1Z to closely match Audeze’s intended target FR curve, so perhaps this is why I don’t really notice the sound differences.

And please do get that i4 Cipher cable, it really does improve things quite a few notches. The sound from my iPod touch 6 with Cipher cable is really really good, I’d dare say it goes to perhaps 85-90% of the sound I’m getting from my 1Z + Silvergarde combo :ok_hand:

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #2,050 of 4,796
Hello
My lcd i4 is almost a year old and still they never cease to amaze me.
They scale very well with desktop grade dac/amps due to their maximum power handling up to 3 watts as well as a low sensitivity of 100 dB/1mw at 30 ohms as compared to other high end iems.

I am into portable audio gear and slowly trying to build a good desktop setup .
I was searching for good desktop grade amp which pairs with my hugo2 and lcd i4.
My main aim was to find such an amp that did not affected the transparency, imaging, airiness,black background or induce any type of coloration etc. of my small yet powerful ch2 /lcdi4 setup.
After a lot of search and suggestions by fellow headfiers including @EagleWings , I decided to take a dive in an ever expanding ocean of desktop amps.
(FYI I am planning to buy a headphone in near future.)
My sound preference is neutral with hint of warmth, good bass quantity/ quality and well extended non sibilant trebles and forward, lush midrange , 3D soundstage,black background, full and non fatiguing sound.
There are few amps in the range of usd2k - 3k which met my criteria .( which I know of)

They are as follows (random list)(SS amps)

1. Head amp gsxmk2
2. Violectric v281
3. Bryston bha-1
4. Taurus mk2

Btw none of the amps are available in my country.

So no chance of any audition. It was going to be a sort of blind purchase. But there is lot to read about the above mentioned amps on headfi.

After reading about them and their comparison I went ahead and bought violectric v281 silver faceplate/feet basic model with no dac / relay option.

I like the flexibility of v281 and the sound signature which matched my preference.
They pair with iems to low sensitivity headphones very well and can act as preamp to my speakers.

C7C1BB57-A4C4-4168-8118-8CED357D7192.jpeg

Double helix ultrashort adapter 4 pin xlr to 2.5 mm balanced with eidolic parts

17057130-D2C2-4DB4-97C1-BD2E5980399C.jpeg

3B61E450-7188-4906-9875-AD17C6FAF340.jpeg

FF2B4BF6-22D5-405E-8314-E2F0A67132FA.jpeg
Hugo 2 rca out connected to v281 via audio quest water rca cables.( I believe in cables )

81BCCA3D-D0E5-48AE-B56B-1DBD2FA5A6A2.jpeg
V281 balanced out to 2.5mm EA Horus + lcd i4.

I will be describing the impressions in detail after few weeks (complete burn in).

I can say one thing for sure that there is no hiss .
The dynamics ,bass slam, imaging and transparency are very good . No coloration .
Most important a black background .

I urge lcd i4 owners to try a desktop grade amp.
You will be amazed to know the limits of a 12 gm in ear headphone and how it can compete with the best open back headphones .

Lcd i4 is a gem of an earphone/headphone .

Thanks

EDIT : Thanks @junix @Fafner for recommending Effect Audio cables.They are very good .

Attachments

• E081C38E-45F5-4D41-BC16-705E9E9ABA79.jpeg
    E081C38E-45F5-4D41-BC16-705E9E9ABA79.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #2,052 of 4,796
Well, first you notice the outside case is different, no longer "leather" type. Then the carry-on case is also material, not leather. Slight differences here.

But then, I may be wrong since I say this from memory and haven't tested A/B, but the overall fidelity of 2nd revision is higher at least to me. I wasn't really impressed with the 1st i4s very much. But with the 2nd ones I'm very happy. What exactly changed, it is hard to say for me. Maybe an Audeze rep will help and answer that. I will also write if I remember something more specific.
Same black polyester case like isine?

Yep. The connector pretty loose. Dropped and chipped my baby because of it falling from the cable.

Aug 4, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #2,054 of 4,796
the 281 is a phenomenal product

Aug 5, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #2,055 of 4,796

V281 balanced out to 2.5mm EA Horus + lcd i4.
You got the Horus!!
Nice, IMHO it should pair really well with the LCD-i4.. waiting for your thoughts after a few weeks.. :)

I tried it out of the SP1000Cu with the U18t and somehow did not like the pairing.. unfortunately I did not have the i4 with me at the time.

And I agree with you, the i4 scales so well.. I hope I'll manage to try it soon with the Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back