Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jan 12, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #1,501 of 4,796
Hi guys need advice pls

Just received the cipher cables for my i4
Is this the right firmware?

Looks like you got the wrong cable, it should mention the i4 in the firmware version.

Jan 12, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #1,502 of 4,796
Hi guys need advice pls

Just received the cipher cables for my i4
Is this the right firmware?
WhatsApp Image 2018-01-12 at 23.14.07.jpeg

This is the latest Cipher v2 cable for lcd i4 with latest firmware 7.1.5.
I think you have received cipher cable for isine 10/20.
Contact your audeze dealer to replace it.

Jan 12, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #1,504 of 4,796
Ok I’ll contact them.
Thanks guys

Jan 12, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #1,506 of 4,796
JKLYEka.jpg

Hey Guys,

So. Today I bought a pair of the LCDi4 from Audeze.

They are an open back……$2500(USD) dollar……in ear headphone…

The ****? Really? What a waste of money at $100 dollars let alone $2500!

Or so I thought. I was baffled by the iSines when they were released, I thought they were useless. However, my needs have changed over time, and I started to consider a move to using in ears more often. I knew I would miss the sound signature of my LCD-4’s, so I figured why not give their little, in ear, brothers a shot. To be honest, they didn’t disappoint.

Lets get a few things out of the way. They don’t isolate, at all really. These can’t really be used on the subway, or bus, or a plane. It just isn’t really feasible. Yes, they are dumb expensive, so make sure you know what you are looking for before giving these a try. They aren’t for every situation, but boy, for the ones they work for, they are killer!

I think these are more for taking with you on a journey, than using during the journey. They can also be used at home if you want a lighter alternative to the full size LCD-4 (or other heavy headphones.)

The fit is actually pretty standard in terms of IEM’s tip wise. Experiment, find a size that works for your ears. I have only experimented with the ear hooks so far, but to be honest, the i4’s don’t fall out of my ears without the hooks, which I didn’t expect. I don’t notice the hooks once I have had them on for a few seconds, I guess they are there just incase you move your head too much or something.

Now to the important part, how they sound. All in all, very impressive. Definitely the best IEM’s I have heard. However, it is important to note (again) that they are open. Perhaps it isn’t really the fairest comparison against other more traditional IEM’s. The bass is typical audeze. Very good. Fast, percussive, fairly hard hitting. Extends low and rumbles nicely. The mids are a little bit too present in the upper midrange IMO, but I will come back to that in a second. The treble is fine for me, but some may find it a bit…tizzy(?)…at high volumes. I haven’t noticed any sibilance yet. I reckon this would be a fine choice for someone who is treble sensitive.

Now, the upper mids. Too present, just a little bit. However, these headphones take EQ very well. If you are an Audeze headphone owner you owe it to yourself to check out the “Reveal” DSP app. EQ for Audeze cans made simple. Using the LCDi4 setting removes too much of the mids for my taste, so I’m running it at 55% currently. That might change, but for my ears, it was a good place to start.

IMO, these don’t sound wonky without the Cipher cable, which imparts the same DSP as the “Reveal” plug in. Tyll felt the iSine20’s weren’t great without the Cipher cable, but the LCDi4 is better than the iSine20 without the Cipher cable. I would rather have a non Cipher LCDi4 than a Cipher iSine20, if that makes sense.

Technicalities are super. Lots of detail, very revealing, very transparent. The soundstage is similar to the LCD-3. It’s not as big as the LCD-4, but still impressive for an IEM. I would assume that the open back nature helps them achieve this.

All in all, these are super cool. Would they be my first recommendation for someone looking for a high end headphone? No. Would they be my first recommendation for a general IEM? Probably not no, due to the open back nature. However, if they fit your needs, I think they would be pretty damn hard to beat. Definitely worth a try if you get a chance :)

Jan 12, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #1,508 of 4,796
the I4 along with the Hugo 2 is a hard portable pair to beat....i have the lcd-4 and when i listen to my I4 i do not find myself feeling short changed in any way...in fact in some way the I4 is a more interesting listen due to the dynamics of the tip right in your ear....very impressive

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #1,509 of 4,796
the I4 along with the Hugo 2 is a hard portable pair to beat....i have the lcd-4 and when i listen to my I4 i do not find myself feeling short changed in any way...in fact in some way the I4 is a more interesting listen due to the dynamics of the tip right in your ear....very impressive

Yep, the LCDi4/Hugo 2 is still very much my reference portable setup!

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #1,510 of 4,796
I was having some trouble with the fit of my left ear yesterday, none of the tips seemed to work properly. Right ear was no problem at all, but the left ear kept popping out. This was using the ear hooks. I just tried the ear locks for the first time this afternoon and it is fitting a lot better now on the left side. Its not perfect yet, but...the sound is even better than yesterday!

Does anyone have any third party tip recommendations? I might be able to find something that fits my left ear a bit better.

Jan 14, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #1,511 of 4,796
I was having some trouble with the fit of my left ear yesterday, none of the tips seemed to work properly. Right ear was no problem at all, but the left ear kept popping out. This was using the ear hooks. I just tried the ear locks for the first time this afternoon and it is fitting a lot better now on the left side. Its not perfect yet, but...the sound is even better than yesterday!

Does anyone have any third party tip recommendations? I might be able to find something that fits my left ear a bit better.

I feel my left ear's fit is somewhat smaller than my right ear. However, when I've had sudden fit issues it often just meant I needed to pull the tip back out some. After wearing a while they can get pushed too far down the barrel. Try re-seating and see if it fits better after.

Jan 15, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #1,512 of 4,796
So... I stopped at page 50 reading the thread to that point just convinced me that the eternal search I have been through since the TF10 and PFE232 all the way to SE846, IE800, S-EM9, U12, Vega... must come to an end! I did some math and the rationalizing was : in the end looking for the "right" one cost me just as much if not more than hitting way up there :p Especially if you consider that I also went the same path with full size headphones... as I was considering the Hifiman Edition X v2 my brain was slowly whispering "What if I could spend only on one item both IEM and open back ?". I tackled the idea of getting an iSine 20 first, then decided not to as the cumulative cost would just keep the trend on...

That meant going off the deep end... a 10% off deal on the i4 and a last unit remaining in the shop was all it took during lunch.... After my credit card melted I came back home, crossed fingers, wished I had a custom cable to run the i4 balanced with DX200/amp4 (my favorite combo) but rolled amp to amp2 and... even single ended from the first minutes I was just... well, you've been there and your impressions convinced me it was THE IEM for me and thank you all by the way :D ! I was more than a little anxious I would be disappointed (yes, the store did not demo them...). I'll be selling my Focal Elar, the Vega and probably the IE800S...

Simply put, past the quite awkward phase of figuring out the right size tips and the insertion angle (never before have I fidgeted that much or needed to look in the mirror to check insertion...), I am blown away and I am pretty sure soundstage will get better balanced with amp3 or amp4. One thing I just LOVED right away is how light and forgetful they are (that is once you have set them right) so much so I need to be careful to remember it's attached to my DAP :p

I'd like to give a look at alternative tips if there are some (those nozzles are BIG...)

The second thing that struck me is how emotional the i4 is, it's not the bass or technicalities that jumped at me or even the soundstage (but amp2 is not the widest, granted) but vocal and instruments timbre...

Now off to listen to my favorites albums :D (and order the Pelican 1060, that leather carry case looks nice but that's zero protection :frowning2: )

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #1,513 of 4,796
So... I stopped at page 50 reading the thread to that point just convinced me that the eternal search I have been through since the TF10 and PFE232 all the way to SE846, IE800, S-EM9, U12, Vega... must come to an end! I did some math and the rationalizing was : in the end looking for the "right" one cost me just as much if not more than hitting way up there :p Especially if you consider that I also went the same path with full size headphones... as I was considering the Hifiman Edition X v2 my brain was slowly whispering "What if I could spend only on one item both IEM and open back ?". I tackled the idea of getting an iSine 20 first, then decided not to as the cumulative cost would just keep the trend on...

That meant going off the deep end... a 10% off deal on the i4 and a last unit remaining in the shop was all it took during lunch.... After my credit card melted I came back home, crossed fingers, wished I had a custom cable to run the i4 balanced with DX200/amp4 (my favorite combo) but rolled amp to amp2 and... even single ended from the first minutes I was just... well, you've been there and your impressions convinced me it was THE IEM for me and thank you all by the way :D ! I was more than a little anxious I would be disappointed (yes, the store did not demo them...). I'll be selling my Focal Elar, the Vega and probably the IE800S...

Simply put, past the quite awkward phase of figuring out the right size tips and the insertion angle (never before have I fidgeted that much or needed to look in the mirror to check insertion...), I am blown away and I am pretty sure soundstage will get better balanced with amp3 or amp4. One thing I just LOVED right away is how light and forgetful they are (that is once you have set them right) so much so I need to be careful to remember it's attached to my DAP :p

I'd like to give a look at alternative tips if there are some (those nozzles are BIG...)

The second thing that struck me is how emotional the i4 is, it's not the bass or technicalities that jumped at me or even the soundstage (but amp2 is not the widest, granted) but vocal and instruments timbre...

Now off to listen to my favorites albums :D (and order the Pelican 1060, that leather carry case looks nice but that's zero protection :frowning2: )
Welcome to the LCD i4 club.
I don't see many people trying LCD i4.
Keeping the noise isolation and the tricky fit aside.
It is truly an end game open in ear headphone
It scales beautifully with a quaity DAC/AMP.
Just an observation!

Jan 15, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #1,514 of 4,796
Thanks!
Well said, I don't regret it one bit so far :)
It's a whole new level in terms of textures, speed, depth, (low level) dynamics. Note that I don't mention soundstage while it's probably what will wow everyone on first listen. Soundstage is so great but also so coherent (imaging is...oh my) it doesn't feel artificially overdone you quickly forget it. Then try something else and then "wow" it's narrow...

I have had decent gear but nothing that wowed me like this. It reminds me of jumping from consumer grade to audiophile stuff, from 100$ in ear to the PFE232 that did wow me.

Yup I got that it does scale up great with better sources, I might look at the ALO CDM later. But DX200 is not slouch as a source, pretty happy with it... can't wait for a balanced cable to up the ante :)
I'll test Mojo tomorrow at the office.

The i4 are really driveable, just a touch harder to drive than Campfire Vega but I don't even need high gain on DX200 and I am at 60% volume :D

I might have to find a closed option that reaches this level now... it leaks too much for late night listen in bed next to my other half... Maybe Tia Trio but much later on...

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #1,515 of 4,796
Looking for an upgrade cable in particular Plussoundaudio X Series

Am I right assuming regular 0.78mm two pin is the right choice? (if it's the case I can try my old S-EM9 silver dragon with 2.5 balanced...)

Since the native cable seems to have a specific plug to avoid inverting polarity, I wonder...

Edit : I missed the compatibility list... looks like I'll be ok with this, a bit contradictory as it indicates recessed sockets are excluded and the socket does look recessed to me... then again 2 pin is not my forte I mainly had MMCX connectors on my gear...

oIWH4aRgLHlrrjTt0JPtxcrf6ixRuF.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back