Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Apr 17, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #3,841 of 4,795
Looking at this, the reveal plugin is my best bet. But what I saw only lists its over ear headphones as being supported. I assume i just saw an old description. Can some one confirm that the Reveal plugin will work with the in ears?
Audeze IEMs are supported within Reveal but I believe it is only on computers and not mobile devices.

Apr 17, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #3,842 of 4,795
Looking at this, the reveal plugin is my best bet. But what I saw only lists its over ear headphones as being supported. I assume i just saw an old description. Can some one confirm that the Reveal plugin will work with the in ears?
Yes the reveal plugin works fine with the i4 and other in ears, the description of the reveal+ on the Audeze site was a bit confusing to me at first. I've also had good results with PMEQ on both desktop and DAP software. Specifically iBasso Mango, UAPP and Neutron for portable playback. Kmann from Audeze posted some PMEQ curves, searchable in the forums.

Completely agree with @edwardsean regarding the i4, it is a unique and special transducer that is worth a bit of effort to sort out. I have both Euclid and i4, as edwardsean says they are in many ways not comparable just due to the physics of the design. For me, the Euclids represent the best sound I've heard in a closed iem and are a good complement to the i4 but would never replace them.

Apr 17, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #3,844 of 4,795
I’d say they definitely are! Especially since you can basically EQ them to sound like anything you want! Also they very likely are the best at reproducing a realistic soundstage in the IEM world, so that does help quite a bit.

As for DAP, the 2 most important requirements are : a very powerful and high quality output, as well as a good quality EQ.
If you have the budget, I’d recommend the Luxury & Precision LP6. It’s by far the best match with i4 in the DAP world. IMHO it sounded significantly better than all the other TOTL DAPs I’ve tried with i4. It’s the only one who could maximize the bass impact and quality while retaining soundstage, air, precision, details and musicality.
Also, although the EQ is only band EQ, it is very effective and the band’s frequencies are the same as the ones for the recommended EQ from Audeze.

If you’re more interested by a more affordable option, you might want to check the iBasso DX300 or DX220 Max. They both sounded pretty good and their EQ implementation is one of the best.

hope it’s helpful! :wink:

cheers

I was just looking at the best possible portable player for my i4. I have Hugo2 + 2go but the sound straight without eq dont make my feet move. And it’s kind o chunky to carry around.

I have heard that Dethonray DTR1 sound very good with i4. But I understand that LP6 is on another level. Besides the price, no possibility to test it before buying, puts me of right now.

I really enjoy products manufactured whith absolutely best sound as primary goal. I don’t mind skipping all android functionality.

All the best!

Apr 17, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #3,845 of 4,795
EQ is NOT necessary...some may like it but isnt necessary

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #3,846 of 4,795
EQ is NOT necessary...some may like it but isnt necessary
I beg to differ. The i4 needs EQ whether it’s in the form of cipher cable or software EQ. Otherwise the tonality is one of the worst of any IEMs out there.

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #3,847 of 4,795
Ugh. Spent the better part of the day trying to get the reveal plugin to work. Sure its would be easy just get jRiver foobar but man those programs suck.

foobar is 2d sounding and Jriver is bloatware. I have so many services disabled I doubt they would even run!

Is there a program that shows up as an asio driver, does vst hosting and outputs to another asio driver?

or is there a hardware eq option?

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #3,848 of 4,795
Ugh. Spent the better part of the day trying to get the reveal plugin to work. Sure its would be easy just get jRiver foobar but man those programs suck.

foobar is 2d sounding and Jriver is bloatware. I have so many services disabled I doubt they would even run!

Is there a program that shows up as an asio driver, does vst hosting and outputs to another asio driver?

or is there a hardware eq option?
Equalizer APO may fit your needs, I was also looking for a system wide EQ solution. For me eAPO was too convoluted, plus I needed a decent library/playback app. Tried Audirvana and ended up with Roon

Apr 18, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #3,849 of 4,795
Equalizer APO may fit your needs, I was also looking for a system wide EQ solution. For me eAPO was too convoluted, plus I needed a decent library/playback app. Tried Audirvana and ended up with Roon
Thx. I looked into APO and iirc there was someone who got it to work with asio but it was a cludge.

glad you found roon. Its not a program for me on many different levels.

Apr 25, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #3,850 of 4,795
...anyone know driver replacement cost out of warranty..?
I tried a couple of searches in the thread, but could not dig anything up.

Apr 25, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #3,851 of 4,795
Thx. I looked into APO and iirc there was someone who got it to work with asio but it was a cludge.

glad you found roon. Its not a program for me on many different levels.
I got Asio to work with Foobar, but it defeated the ability to use any EQ with Equalizer APO.

Apr 28, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #3,852 of 4,795
I got Asio to work with Foobar, but it defeated the ability to use any EQ with Equalizer APO.
Its a long story. But I dont want a player like foobar or jriver or roon which would work with equalizer. First off they dont sound that great (never tried roon) and really were designed for a mouse and a screen. I want iphone control and afaik that is doable but its all an add on.

foobar and Jriver do too much at the expense of sq.

May 14, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #3,853 of 4,795
Hey there,
its been a while since I posted.

So I seem to have very small ear channels and wanted to ask if there are any news on the tipp front.
I know many advise the Spinfit CP155s
But I searched a bit and found the CP500s wich are one Millimeter narrower and should also fit.

Anyone tryed those?
https://www.amazon.de/spinfit-cp155-Patentierte-Silikon-Ersatzohrstöpsel-Ersatz/dp/B078RF1S37

edit: I ordered a pair and will report how they sound compared to stock tipps and how they work for small ear channeld people 😁

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #3,854 of 4,795
I decided to try the Cipher cable today.

Prior to today I have only been using my silver balanced cable connected to an M15 on high gain, over ear mode using Reveal on desktop to trying different PEQ from Kmann, to my own variation with Peace GUI and EAPO and lately liking the AutoEQ based on Crinacle's measurements on Github.

This was unexpected but makes sense. Tonally they sounded similar but I didn't expect my setup to sound so much more dynamic and clear with a super black background and much more resolution. I am assuming the higher power and AK4499 dacs from the M15 contributed to much of this.. maybe some the cable too or PEQ settings or all of it.

I tested on both my Galaxy Z Fold 2 and iPhone X. Both sound the same with Cipher at default.

Wondering if everyone that has tested i4 with just Cipher is really missing out.

Needless to say, I will probably never use the Cipher cable again.:k701smile:

May 17, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #3,855 of 4,795
Zeos's recommendation to Gold Planar GL20 and me enjoying the damn thing for a whole afternoon squarely peaked my interest for the i4.
I've heard a lot of complaints about the iSine's stock sound and although I do use an iPhone 6 to stream music, I still mostly use my gear with 3.5mm jacked source. The i3 does exist in a price much more achieveable for me, but so far impression of it seem to picture it as not that much better than iSine20 so...
The almost unreachable i4 is IT for me. otherwise, anxious see what Audeze have in mind for the next 3 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back