Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Aug 23, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #2,896 of 4,796
Yeah, totally agree! I think this is where some users don’t realize the full potential of the i-series design. They are almost “on-ears” rather than in ears.

Mine are ensconced in the intertragral notch firing up and back into the ear canal. The seal doesn’t come from the ear canal at all. I will say though that getting them stably in that position took a long process of experimentation. Along with my Frankenstein creation for tips, I had to precisely sculpt the ear hooks along X-Y-Z axes individually for each ear.
Yup, totally! This is the biggest weakness of the i4s, IMHO, getting the right fit for your ears so it will stay on your ears and fit snugly in your ear canal.

Aug 23, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #2,897 of 4,796
I think so too, at the same time I’m grateful for it. It is a unique positioning that yields incredible frequency response and staging. It’s only made possible by this unconventional design.

I wish there were another way to get this positioning but right now in the market, it’s only the i4s with the earhooks. I’m intrigued by the new ear fins but I don’t think they will be able to achieve it.

Another issue is that every several months the horseshoe clip on the hooks snap. It’s too hard to reshape the earhooks each time so I’ve take to harvesting the clips from hooks that don’t fit and transplanting them. Jesshh, but it works.

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #2,898 of 4,796
I still have my Hugo and Moon Neo 430HAD, but there is a deep layer of dust on both.

I’ve taken to DAP modding and the platform has been the iBasso DX220 with the discrete components in its amp8 module. I have no background in electronics but I learned how to solder dust sized parts just for audio. I’ve replaced about 50 capacitors with polymer, film, and legendary Elna caps. The files are DSD512 files upmixed, upsampled and processed with pro mastering grade software and 2 instances of convolution.

In the way the i4 replaced full-size phones for me, this custom hardware/software DAP route has replaced desktops for me. The two are tethered by an Effect Audio Horus. This combination for me is a virtually zero footprint mobile hifi system.

I recently left my dealer having auditioned a DAVE+MScaler into a D’Agastino amp + Raal SR1a. I felt that rarest of feelings among audiophiles: contentment with my current system.

I’ve posted on my mod of the iBasso amp module here if you’re at all interested:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx2...ilable-and-dc01.898388/page-485#post-15110715
I have gone through your mod. You have done an excellent job.

Do you use PMEQ on dx220 with i4?
How are the results ? Anywhere close to reveal plugin.

I cannot listen to i4 without applying cipher/reveal plugin.

Btw i complete my 2yrs with lcdi4 this month and i am still searching for a closed iem which comes close to i4 in terms of tonality, SS and well balanced sound. (Only u18t comes to my mind as of now)

I hope @Audeze releases an i4 closed type iem. That would be a game changer.

Cheers

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #2,899 of 4,796

Btw i complete my 2yrs with lcdi4 this month and i am still searching for a closed iem which comes close to i4 in terms of tonality, SS and well balanced sound. (Only u18t comes to my mind as of now)

Cheers

Have you tried IER-Z1R? Not really the same with a properly EQ’d i4 (I also can’t listen to i4 without EQ or cipher), but it’s close enough. Very natural sounding, visceral sub-bass impact and very very extended treble (more sparkly than i4 but still natural).

Aug 24, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #2,900 of 4,796

Cheers

I don't use the parametric on the 220. As I shared I use pro audio mastering software to process the files before they get loaded into my DAP. I do use the reveal plugin at 30% and the EQ is also very surgical.

I know what you mean about trying to fine a closed IEM that is able to match the i4. The issue for me is that even the best IEMs still sound like IEMs. Only the i4 sounds like a fullsize open back phone to me.

I do believe that one day somebody will come up with a closed solution but for now I am grateful that the i4 exists.

Aug 30, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #2,901 of 4,796
Had some spare SpinFits and managed to get them onto my i4’s. OMG, so much more comfortable than the stock tips- feel a lot more cushioned against my ear canal.

It feels like the change the sound a little bit but the comfort is so much better.

Now just need some EarFins- hoping someone can hook me up in the For Sale forums!

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #2,902 of 4,796
Had some spare SpinFits and managed to get them onto my i4’s. OMG, so much more comfortable than the stock tips- feel a lot more cushioned against my ear canal.

It feels like the change the sound a little bit but the comfort is so much better.

Now just need some EarFins- hoping someone can hook me up in the For Sale forums!

I find I get a better seal with the ear fins with both the LCDi3 and LCDi4.

Aug 31, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #2,904 of 4,796
Yeah really want to get some! Unfortunately can’t order direct from Audeze (won’t ship to the UK) and any reseller here I’ve checked with don’t stock the new kits.

Hi Contact Audeze Customer Services: yesterday I received a new iSine Accessory kit: I live just north of London: the ear fins are working well with my iSINE20s

Aug 31, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #2,905 of 4,796
For anyone interested, here is a little kludge I came up with. I got these soft silicone earpieces off Amazon (LQGK Replacement Ear hooks for bluetooth earbuds M165 M180 bluetooth Headset earhooks) that came with different size pieces that slip in to the earpieces (you can see them lying on the bag). All of these were a lot smaller than the i4 ones, so I cut the ones off that I wasn't using, and they fit perfectly. Very comfortable, definitely an improvement over the hard plastic ones. I do have some ear fins coming to try out, but this came out really well.
2019-08-31 11.38.46.jpg

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #2,907 of 4,796
they are a nice improvement

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #2,908 of 4,796
Have you tried IER-Z1R? Not really the same with a properly EQ’d i4 (I also can’t listen to i4 without EQ or cipher), but it’s close enough. Very natural sounding, visceral sub-bass impact and very very extended treble (more sparkly than i4 but still natural).
Hello
I have not tried z1r.
But, I am concerned about recessed midrange (lower) on z1r.

Btw, lcdi4 scales up with a desktop amp like crazy.

I recently got benchmark hpa4 to pair with Metrum Pavane and lcdi4 and i simply cannot believe what i am hearing.
It's like listening to new version of lcdi4.

In the past 2yrs I have tried i4 with TOTL SS amps (gsmk2,v281 etc.) DAC/AMPS(including ,hugo2, mDave) but never heard such refinement, tonal balance, richness and naturalness.

The treble clarity, articulation & extension is superb. Sounds more natural to me.There is a near perfect balance between the attack, decay and body of transients. They are never thin.

The mids are more bodied without congestion or loss of transparency.
Vocal density on both male and female is so damn natural and gives a life like presentation. Best mids I have ever heard on lcdi4.

Special mention about bass.
I am listening to "extra" bass.lol. The tracks have more bass definition, outstanding layering, extension right till the very end. Strikes an excellent balance b/w quality and quantity. Imagine the speed of BA and decay of dynamics but refined to another level. I am listening to more bass notes in b/w notes. Resolution is breathtaking.

The background is devoid of any kind of noise. The blackness extracts so much more information from the track..it's like listening to heavily mixed track.

This is why I am still hunting for a closed iem which comes close to the level of performance and scalability that lcdi4 delivers.

Due credit should be given to Metrum NOS DACs and the super transparent Benchmark HPA4 which never sounds like a SS amp as it lacks signature of its own. It will amplify without any coloration.i.e. true to source.

YMMV

Cheers

20190829_205714.jpg

Sep 1, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #2,909 of 4,796

Got the i4's when they first came out and love them. Recently switched to SpinFits on them and I think the sound is improved quite a bit--better detail and clarity in the highs. Conversely, Symbios are fantastic if you have IEMs that are a little thin and need more bass and warmth and less sibilance.

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #2,910 of 4,796
Hello
I have not tried z1r.
But, I am concerned about recessed midrange (lower) on z1r.

Btw, lcdi4 scales up with a desktop amp like crazy.

I recently got benchmark hpa4 to pair with Metrum Pavane and lcdi4 and i simply cannot believe what i am hearing.
It's like listening to new version of lcdi4.

In the past 2yrs I have tried i4 with TOTL SS amps (gsmk2,v281 etc.) DAC/AMPS(including ,hugo2, mDave) but never heard such refinement, tonal balance, richness and naturalness.

The treble clarity, articulation & extension is superb. Sounds more natural to me.There is a near perfect balance between the attack, decay and body of transients. They are never thin.

The mids are more bodied without congestion or loss of transparency.
Vocal density on both male and female is so damn natural and gives a life like presentation. Best mids I have ever heard on lcdi4.

Special mention about bass.
I am listening to "extra" bass.lol. The tracks have more bass definition, outstanding layering, extension right till the very end. Strikes an excellent balance b/w quality and quantity. Imagine the speed of BA and decay of dynamics but refined to another level. I am listening to more bass notes in b/w notes. Resolution is breathtaking.

The background is devoid of any kind of noise. The blackness extracts so much more information from the track..it's like listening to heavily mixed track.

This is why I am still hunting for a closed iem which comes close to the level of performance and scalability that lcdi4 delivers.

Due credit should be given to Metrum NOS DACs and the super transparent Benchmark HPA4 which never sounds like a SS amp as it lacks signature of its own. It will amplify without any coloration.i.e. true to source.

YMMV

Cheers

I really want the HP4. Seeing how you have it paired with your i4's is something I would like to try with my i4's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back