Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Aug 21, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #2,881 of 4,795
I've not heard the Fourte, but I have the Shure KSE1200 for when I need isolation. I use them with comply tips and like them a lot, but don't have the need for them nearly as much as I do the i4. They isolate extremely well...Ive worn them at work, and even at normal listening levels, found my co-workers waving at me because I can't hear a thing with them on.

On another note. I ordered my accessory kit yesterday to get the ear fins. It looked like there was just one size. Is that correct? Will there be an option to just buy earfins in the future?

Aug 22, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #2,883 of 4,795
It definitely doesn’t sound as accomplished as the LCD i4. However, compared to the others I listed, it sounds closer to the i4 than it does to those.
I'm honest jealous. Having an LCDi4 as well as a tia fourte, is be done buying headphones or iems, most likely. I'd be focused solely on amazing sources. Those are 2 of my end game models of portable yet great enough to be your home model listening device. Looking at the Campfire audio Atlas as a possible compliment to my i4, as the fourte is too far out of my current ability, seeing as I'm paying for my i4 currently

Aug 22, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #2,884 of 4,795
I personally find the 64 audio tia fourte quite complimentary. Open sounding deep reaching, smooth, articulate.....expensive . Great iem though
Thank you for the tip but unfortunately I can't afford them because I already have i4, LCD xc and mobius... I'd like to be under 500 but I know it's difficult to match this quality ( soundstage is unrivalled). It needs to be something that I care less having in my pocket and going around..
I'll keep searching
:)

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #2,885 of 4,795
I'm honest jealous. Having an LCDi4 as well as a tia fourte, is be done buying headphones or iems, most likely. I'd be focused solely on amazing sources. Those are 2 of my end game models of portable yet great enough to be your home model listening device. Looking at the Campfire audio Atlas as a possible compliment to my i4, as the fourte is too far out of my current ability, seeing as I'm paying for my i4 currently
I have a B-stock Atlas I was getting ready to put up for sale this weekend. PM me if interested. Just got my i4s, which is why I'm on this thread! :). Never heard anything like them. Just a totally different thing from IEM's, really. I'm listening to them right now, and I just can't get over the bass. For subtle things like Jessica Pratt - Quiet Signs (female singer songwriter, acoustic guitar) it's basically like I never heard that record before. They sound good with everything, though. I just have a feeling I'm going to be collecting a lot more acoustic-based stuff, though. So amazing.

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #2,886 of 4,795
I have a B-stock Atlas I was getting ready to put up for sale this weekend. PM me if interested. Just got my i4s, which is why I'm on this thread! :). Never heard anything like them. Just a totally different thing from IEM's, really. I'm listening to them right now, and I just can't get over the bass. For subtle things like Jessica Pratt - Quiet Signs (female singer songwriter, acoustic guitar) it's basically like I never heard that record before. They sound good with everything, though. I just have a feeling I'm going to be collecting a lot more acoustic-based stuff, though. So amazing.

They are so darn good, the best many top-flight full sized headphones IMO!

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #2,887 of 4,795
They are so darn good, the best many top-flight full sized headphones IMO!

Definitely, how it does this is still a mind boggling magic trick for me. I understood when there were trade offs going from full-size headphones to standard IEMs. I don’t understand when there aren’t any.

When set up properly the staging is like full-size phones, and the bass.... That doesn’t make sense to me either. When I strap an Abyss onto my cranium and bolt it down, I get that it’s going to move some air. The i4 is just... whaaattt?

There have been so many significant innovations in IEMs like adding electrostatic, dynamic drivers to BA, but the i4 was a reinvention of the class.

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #2,888 of 4,795
Definitely, how it does this is still a mind boggling magic trick for me. I understood when there were trade offs going from full-size headphones to standard IEMs. I don’t understand when there aren’t any.

When set up properly the staging is like full-size phones, and the bass.... That doesn’t make sense to me either. When I strap an Abyss onto my cranium and bolt it down, I get that it’s going to move some air. The i4 is just... whaaattt?

There have been so many significant innovations in IEMs like adding electrostatic, dynamic drivers to BA, but the i4 was a reinvention of the class.

Agreed completely! Just curious what you're using your i4's with? I primarily use them out of my Hugo2, but they still scale with my DAVE.

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #2,889 of 4,795
Agreed completely! Just curious what you're using your i4's with? I primarily use them out of my Hugo2, but they still scale with my DAVE.

I still have my Hugo and Moon Neo 430HAD, but there is a deep layer of dust on both.

I’ve taken to DAP modding and the platform has been the iBasso DX220 with the discrete components in its amp8 module. I have no background in electronics but I learned how to solder dust sized parts just for audio. I’ve replaced about 50 capacitors with polymer, film, and legendary Elna caps. The files are DSD512 files upmixed, upsampled and processed with pro mastering grade software and 2 instances of convolution.

In the way the i4 replaced full-size phones for me, this custom hardware/software DAP route has replaced desktops for me. The two are tethered by an Effect Audio Horus. This combination for me is a virtually zero footprint mobile hifi system.

I recently left my dealer having auditioned a DAVE+MScaler into a D’Agastino amp + Raal SR1a. I felt that rarest of feelings among audiophiles: contentment with my current system.

I’ve posted on my mod of the iBasso amp module here if you’re at all interested:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx2...ilable-and-dc01.898388/page-485#post-15110715

Aug 23, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #2,890 of 4,795
I still have my Hugo and Moon Neo 430HAD, but there is a deep layer of dust on both.

I’ve taken to DAP modding and the platform has been the iBasso DX220 with the discrete components in its amp8 module. I have no background in electronics but I learned how to solder dust sized parts just for audio. I’ve replaced about 50 capacitors with polymer, film, and legendary Elna caps. The files are DSD512 files upmixed, upsampled and processed with pro mastering grade software and 2 instances of convolution.

In the way the i4 replaced full-size phones for me, this custom hardware/software DAP route has replaced desktops for me. The two are tethered by an Effect Audio Horus. This combination for me is a virtually zero footprint mobile hifi system.

I recently left my dealer having auditioned a DAVE+MScaler into a D’Agastino amp + Raal SR1a. I felt that rarest of feelings among audiophiles: contentment with my current system.

I’ve posted on my mod of the iBasso amp module here if you’re at all interested:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx2...ilable-and-dc01.898388/page-485#post-15110715

Thanks for the link...I'll check it out!

Aug 23, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #2,891 of 4,795

I actually don't consider the i4s to be an IEM, rather an in-ear headphone; they sit on the outside of my ear canal.

Aug 23, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #2,892 of 4,795
I actually don't consider the i4s to be an IEM, rather an in-ear headphone; they sit on the outside of my ear canal.

Yeah, totally agree! I think this is where some users don’t realize the full potential of the i-series design. They are almost “on-ears” rather than in ears.

Mine are ensconced in the intertragral notch firing up and back into the ear canal. The seal doesn’t come from the ear canal at all. I will say though that getting them stably in that position took a long process of experimentation. Along with my Frankenstein creation for tips, I had to precisely sculpt the ear hooks along X-Y-Z axes individually for each ear.

Aug 23, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #2,893 of 4,795
Are you listening via 3.5mm or cipher? I'm interested in the Atlas. Do you find it complimentary?

Aug 23, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #2,894 of 4,795
Are you listening via 3.5mm or cipher? I'm interested in the Atlas. Do you find it complimentary?
I only have 3.5, but I did just order an Onso balanced 4.4 so I can try it with my WM1A. I think Atlas doesn't really fill a need for me because I have Andromeda for the more portable /lower profile role, those are perfect for me. I think Atlas is really mostly about the bass. They are a little over the top! But if that is your thing they are pretty great.

Aug 23, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #2,895 of 4,795
I only have 3.5, but I did just order an Onso balanced 4.4 so I can try it with my WM1A. I think Atlas doesn't really fill a need for me because I have Andromeda for the more portable /lower profile role, those are perfect for me. I think Atlas is really mostly about the bass. They are a little over the top! But if that is your thing they are pretty great.
Personally didn't love the Andromeda. I appreciate what it does, but I definitely want something more dynamic. I purchased a tfz no 3, and I love the presentation and low end on it. Now I'm looking to possibly get a dynamic in ear from a big boy company. Before LCDi4 and isine 20, I bought the massdrop planar in ear. Loved it, then upgraded to 20, and eventually LCDi4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back