Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Jan 26, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #6,706 of 6,785
Somewhere in this thread an Audeze rep recommended the Linear filter. I use the Linear filter as a convolution filter plus a 3 band PEQ for my LCD5. I use Tidal and if you use the Linear preset it will not allow a full MQA unfold.

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #6,707 of 6,785
Keep in mind there could be increased latency when using linear filters, which could cause issues such as lip-sync errors with videos, etc.
I'm not sure how bad the latency is with roon filters, but I personally made two separate linear filters; one low latency 48k filter, and a high latency 192k filter.

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #6,710 of 6,785
I bought mine the first day. After all this time I would agree that my pads are wearing out. I had hoped that Dekoni would produce Hybrid pads like I had for my LCD-4 but even after this long Dekoni has not made any pad for the LCD-5.

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #6,711 of 6,785
@Audeze When are you going to put LCD-5 replacement pads for sale on your web store?

My two year old pads have flattened to the point where the headphones are now really uncomfortable. I'm disappointed they have not lasted longer, TBH. Need to replace them please.
Email support@audeze.com. They're not widely available hence why they're not on the accessories page, but we do sell them to customers who need them when contacting us.

When emailing us, submit:

Name:
Address:
Phone:

Serial Number of LCD-5
Problem: LCD-5 earpad replacement purchase requested

Proof of purchase/invoice/order number (if bought from us directly)

Once a support member takes your ticket, they'll submit for an invoice to be sent to your email. Once you have paid, we'll submit an order for shipment.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jan 29, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #6,712 of 6,785
How about we meet in middle for $3825? I just off load an unit to get fund for this. That's why it took me so long to get back to you since last time we talk

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #6,714 of 6,785
Keep in mind there could be increased latency when using linear filters, which could cause issues such as lip-sync errors with videos, etc.
I'm not sure how bad the latency is with roon filters, but I personally made two separate linear filters; one low latency 48k filter, and a high latency 192k filter.
Yes, latency is an issue with linear filters, but for normal music listening, it is not an issue (like one would do with Roon). I do not know of a way to use Roon for video.

Feb 12, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #6,715 of 6,785
So this is not really about the Lcd-5 headphones. They are the headphones I use. Why does saxophone music have a static rattle or kazoo sound on some notes?
For instance John Coltrane Nancy (with the laughing face). I have listened with Qobuz and my vinyl rip with the LCD-5. Through my Schitt and through my phone with wireless earbuds.

Its driving me bonkers.

Feb 12, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #6,716 of 6,785
So this is not really about the Lcd-5 headphones. They are the headphones I use. Why does saxophone music have a static rattle or kazoo sound on some notes?
For instance John Coltrane Nancy (with the laughing face). I have listened with Qobuz and my vinyl rip with the LCD-5. Through my Schitt and through my phone with wireless earbuds.

Its driving me bonkers.

Saxophone has a lot of moving parts. Literally anything can be rattling from a screw to a rod to something in the mouthpiece. For the “kazoo sound” it’s likely a way the overtone series is ringing with the playing.

Potentially the amp is imparting some harmonic distortion as well. LCD-5 is not super easy to drive. A lot of the Schiit stuff is not the best match.

I really like mine on the Hugo-2… think about it, low impedance, medium sensitivity… and then think about the amps that are designed to drive portable stuff into the next dimension. IMO that’s what you want for LCD-5

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #6,717 of 6,785
I
Saxophone has a lot of moving parts. Literally anything can be rattling from a screw to a rod to something in the mouthpiece. For the “kazoo sound” it’s likely a way the overtone series is ringing with the playing.

Potentially the amp is imparting some harmonic distortion as well. LCD-5 is not super easy to drive. A lot of the Schiit stuff is not the best match.

I really like mine on the Hugo-2… think about it, low impedance, high sensitivity… and then think about the amps that are designed to drive portable stuff into the next dimension. IMO that’s what you want for LCD-5
I probably could have stated this better. I have two completely different systems I hear this through. My phone and wireless, and my schitt stack (bifrost 2/64, Mj3) with the LCD-5. I have listened to two different files. My vinyl flac and qobuz. All of these have the same noise. Its definitely in the recording.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #6,718 of 6,785
I

I probably could have stated this better. I have two completely different systems I hear this through. My phone and wireless, and my schitt stack (bifrost 2/64, Mj3) with the LCD-5. I have listened to two different files. My vinyl flac and qobuz. All of these have the same noise. Its definitely in the recording.
I can agree with that and I’m using my Sonos speakers. The recording itself is problematic. But the music is good. Just have to EQ it down a bit.

Feb 12, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #6,719 of 6,785
I

Makes sense… that’s why I said could be the sax itself or could be something in your setup.

Wind instruments make all kinds of sounds close up that you don’t really hear a lot of the time. Lots of moving parts. Makes sense you’d hear some of these quirks with a good setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back