Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
May 3, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #5,147 of 6,785
@Currawong

That gain technique (Folk Singer) that you are talk about in the LCD-5 vs Utopia video, is that the "original master recording" thing from Mofi?
I'm not sure how the recordings are labelled, but you do want the original master, not any remastered versions, if any exist. You'll know it when you hear it -- his voice when he breaks out is not muted in any way, like it is in other recordings.

May 3, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #5,148 of 6,785
Ultimately, I would just like to have more albums with this gain technique.
Do you know any other albums?

I will analyze folk singer with musicscope later, I am curious what will come out of it

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #5,149 of 6,785
They all rave about the THD, but forget that harmonic distortion is what makes music -- it is how instruments work.
? What's the point of that sentence? Please elaborate.

As much as I'm not a measurements fanatic (sinad, 1khz test only etc.) I'm also far from "my ears is only what matters".
Of course instruments has fundamental tone and many harmonics that makes particular sound. So you want to hear only that not something additional.
That's what hi-fi sound always was about.

May 4, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #5,150 of 6,785
Jeeez..!
Mofi is really good at it!
Their mastering of Kind of Blue sounds much more pleasant, organic, even analog - in a positive sense, in comparison to the Columbia / Sony Music CD Version.
The Columbia version can't keep up.
Not even close.

I can highly recommend the Mofi version!

https://mofi.com/

Screenshot_20220504-221246_Neutron Player.jpg

This is among the very best I have ever heard on the LCD-5!

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #5,151 of 6,785
How does the LCD-5 fare listening at lower levels? Thinking 70-75db max.

Ive found the dynamics on the susvara drop off at these levels and leading to a more metallic, dull sounding headphone

Thankyou

May 4, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #5,152 of 6,785
How does the LCD-5 fare listening at lower levels? Thinking 70-75db max.

Ive found the dynamics on the susvara drop off at these levels and leading to a more metallic, dull sounding headphone

Thankyou
The LCD-5 is more dynamic in general imo, so it generally sounds more dynamic at lower volumes as well. But I would still recommend trying it out in a shop if you can.

May 7, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #5,153 of 6,785
New Amigos for the LCD-5 😬

20220507_180010.jpg

May 7, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #5,154 of 6,785
Just got these in today, finally! Very first impressions, out of the Questyle CMA Fifteen, busted a few preconceptions I had about them having a narrow stage and subdued treble. They actually sound very neutral right out of the box, with really nice separation, and very dynamic. The mids are also very similar in level to the Stealth and HD6XX, which I've been listening to a lot recently - so these were right in line with both of their tonality. Looking forward to breaking them in and trying them on different sources. I currently have the CMA Twelve Master, CMA Fifteen, and Hugo TT2 which I'll try them on as the week goes on.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #5,155 of 6,785
Just got these in today, finally! Very first impressions, out of the Questyle CMA Fifteen, busted a few preconceptions I had about them having a narrow stage and subdued treble. They actually sound very neutral right out of the box, with really nice separation, and very dynamic. The mids are also very similar in level to the Stealth and HD6XX, which I've been listening to a lot recently - so these were right in line with both of their tonality. Looking forward to breaking them in and trying them on different sources. I currently have the CMA Twelve Master, CMA Fifteen, and Hugo TT2 which I'll try them on as the week goes on.

There's special synergy between LCD-5 and CMA-15. The synergy in tonality is incredible, really make LCD-5 "alive".

I think LCD-5 actually provide wide soundstage, problem come when we talk about depth though (when compared to other TOTL).

May 8, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #5,156 of 6,785
First night with the LCD5, started listening about 11pm and fell asleep around 3am. Very enjoyable and I'm not hearing anything offensive. I am even enjoying the stock tuning. The bass quantity would be the only thing I would prefer boosted by maybe 3 or 4db, but mids and treble seem fine to me. I can see how this would make an excellent headphone to mix with.

There's special synergy between LCD-5 and CMA-15. The synergy in tonality is incredible, really make LCD-5 "alive".
Agree, and same with the Stealth - the CMA Fifteen is better with both Stealth and the LCD5 than even the TT2. I think it's because it's slightly on the brighter side, which suits headphones that have a more controlled treble range.

The CMA Twelve Master, on the other hand, is warm and gooey - more analogue sounding than the Fifteen. There's some nice bass quantity, but its more wooly than the Fifteen. Twelve also has more smoothness in the treble range that makes it sound rolled off and less detailed than the Fifteen.

The TT2 is right in the middle of the Twelve and Fifteen and what I would consider neutral.

May 8, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #5,159 of 6,785
Will a chord TT2 drive the 5s well?
Yes... they will... very well... but be aware that there may be an issue of the LCD-5's 'humming' due to non Grounding issues. I learnt that if the TT2 and is not Earthed with another product and with the TT2 having a Class 2 double insulated power supply 'humming' may occur. I suffered this issue unfortunately.

May 8, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #5,160 of 6,785
Yes... they will... very well... but be aware that there may be an issue of the LCD-5's 'humming' due to non Grounding issues. I learnt that if the TT2 and is not Earthed with another product and with the TT2 having a Class 2 double insulated power supply 'humming' may occur. I suffered this issue unfortunately.
I have the TT2. On my 2018 Mac mini, the hum went away with an iFi iDefender. I just bought a new Mac mini and the hum has completely disappeared.

The TT2 is fantastic with the LCD-5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back