Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Dec 30, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #3,602 of 6,822
That was to be my next comparison video after the LCD-5 vs. Susvaras. I still plan to make that.

You can't log in to your Apple account in Roon. There isn't any integration like there is with Qobuz or TIDAL. What you can do is import your iTunes playlists and library. Edit: Described above.
If it is just a matter of importing i-tunes files that are stored locally, then I have been doing that for years now (although i-tunes is caput now, for almost all intents and purposes). I do see my locally (formerly i-tunes ALAC) stored files in Roon. I thought the reference was to an integration of Apple music in its present incarnation with Roon. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #3,603 of 6,822
I already have Tidal and Qpbuz integrated into Roon. as well as ripped local files that were in my old i-Tunes (and are now stored on my NAS). I can't see any Apple music choice in the selectable service options I am offered in Roon, which is why I am asking :
You're in the 'services' setting, not the 'storage' setting where your iTunes folder is imported and watched as I mentioned above.
Also, if you look in your Roon library and you've ripped Cd's to your iTunes library in ALAC you should see this under 'view file info'.
You can also import a different version of the album from tidal e.g. MQA to Roon if you like and hide the ALAC file.

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #3,604 of 6,822
If it is just a matter of importing i-tunes files that stored locally, then I have been doing that for years now (although i-tunes is caput now, for almost all intents and purposes). I thought the reference was to an integration of Apple music in its present incarnation. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I shouldn't have used the word "integrate".

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #3,606 of 6,822
If it is just a matter of importing i-tunes files that are stored locally, then I have been doing that for years now (although i-tunes is caput now, for almost all intents and purposes). I do see my locally (formerly i-tunes ALAC) stored files in Roon. I thought the reference was to an integration of Apple music in its present incarnation with Roon. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
No Apple Music integration yet in Roon. Hopefully it will be done sooner rather than later, as Apple already made the API available to developers.

Dec 30, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #3,607 of 6,822
No Apple Music integration yet in Roon. Hopefully it will be done sooner rather than later, as Apple already made the API available to developers.
I'm happy with Qobuz and Tidal. What is the appeal of apple music?

Dec 30, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #3,608 of 6,822
I'm happy with Qobuz and Tidal. What is the appeal of apple music?
Me too... But i'm hoping Roon integration would make Apple music tracks sound better on my Apple devices in an Apple ecosystem, if that makes any sense... (A possible undesirable by-product might be Apple swallowing all the smaller companies up without caring about improving sound quality, and that would be just too unfortunate, but I hope it does not happen)...

Dec 30, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #3,609 of 6,822
I've owned quite a few Audeze headphones during my head-fi journey, but in the end I chose to go for Meze Empyrean and sticked with those as they were the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever owned. When Audeze released the LCD-5s, it started to itch. Very bad actually, lol. Eventually I pulled the trigger and ordered them. I really had to get used to this new sound signature, not what I expected from Audeze. Completely different than i.e. LCD4. Nevertheless, very enjoyable and I really like it, been rediscovering a lot of my music ever since. Unfortunately I struggled a lot with the clamping force of the headband. After 1-2 hours of listening I had to take them off. Painful and very warm ears. Also, when I turned my head around (i.e. to look at my other screen on my desk) I could sometimes feel the metal bit of the headband against the sides of my head. I actually considered selling them or maybe trade for Meze Elite.

However, when I read about the new headband in this topic I decided to reach out to Audeze. Got a reply within 30 mins, and within a few days I got the new headband in. To be honest, I didn't really think it would solve the issue of getting very warm ears. But wow, this new headband is so much better for me. As mentioned before in the topic by others, I also still think the seal is perfect and I don't hear any difference, but all of my comfort issues are gone. I can wear them for hours in a row now.

My experience with Audeze Customer Service in the past has always been very good, and now a few years later, it still is.
They mentioned the clamping force is about 30% less, but it honestly feels like more for me. With this new headband, I will definitely keep them.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #3,610 of 6,822
I've owned quite a few Audeze headphones during my head-fi journey, but in the end I chose to go for Meze Empyrean and sticked with those as they were the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever owned. When Audeze released the LCD-5s, it started to itch. Very bad actually, lol. Eventually I pulled the trigger and ordered them. I really had to get used to this new sound signature, not what I expected from Audeze. Completely different than i.e. LCD4. Nevertheless, very enjoyable and I really like it, been rediscovering a lot of my music ever since. Unfortunately I struggled a lot with the clamping force of the headband. After 1-2 hours of listening I had to take them off. Painful and very warm ears. Also, when I turned my head around (i.e. to look at my other screen on my desk) I could sometimes feel the metal bit of the headband against the sides of my head. I actually considered selling them or maybe trade for Meze Elite.

However, when I read about the new headband in this topic I decided to reach out to Audeze. Got a reply within 30 mins, and within a few days I got the new headband in. To be honest, I didn't really think it would solve the issue of getting very warm ears. But wow, this new headband is so much better for me. As mentioned before in the topic by others, I also still think the seal is perfect and I don't hear any difference, but all of my comfort issues are gone. I can wear them for hours in a row now.

My experience with Audeze Customer Service in the past has always been very good, and now a few years later, it still is.
They mentioned the clamping force is about 30% less, but it honestly feels like more for me. With this new headband, I will definitely keep them.
I had 100% this exact experience.

Dec 30, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #3,611 of 6,822
I'm curious to know what people see in the Susvara VS the TC or LCD-5? All three are wonderful headphones with superb transparency and detail, etc...

But- the TC and 5 have more bass and are noticeably punchier, more incisive, and thicker sounding. The Susvara is softer and ethereal and smooth. For those listening to modern genres, the TC and 5 seem like a clearly superior match. For orchestra, symphony, jazz- the Susvara would perhaps be superior- but for those looking for a reference headphone who listen to these genres, would not a CRBN or SR-009 be superior to a Susvara as they are more ethereal, more transparent, and more effortless- which is what these genres need to sound their best.

I am a modern genre type of fellow- so TC and 5 are a substantially better fit. But if I listened to symphony or jazz- I would go E-stat- as it seems a much better match than Susvara. Susvara seems to be a cross between the classic hard hitting bass emphasized planner and an ethereal E-stat- but not optimal for either presentation relative to the competition which kind of leaves it useless to me.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #3,612 of 6,822
I just got the new LCD-5 headband, which I'm told is a prototype and not necessarily the final design. It solves the problem I was having -- the arms of my glasses were being pressed into my head uncomfortably. With the new headband, I'm still getting a very good seal. Unexpectedly, the new headband also solves my other issue with the LCD-5 which was that it would twist on my head to the point where it would not sit in the same position over both of my ears. I'd have to take them off and adjust them frequently. That problem is now also resolved.

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #3,613 of 6,822
I just got the new LCD-5 headband, which I'm told is a prototype and not necessarily the final design. It solves the problem I was having -- the arms of my glasses were being pressed into my head uncomfortably. With the new headband, I'm still getting a very good seal. Unexpectedly, the new headband also solves my other issue with the LCD-5 which was that it would twist on my head to the point where it would not sit in the same position over both of my ears. I'd have to take them off and adjust them frequently. That problem is now also resolved.
That headband is the new one we're gonna use. We wanted feedback to ensure it was good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back