Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Nov 1, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #2,281 of 6,785
If a Headphone that costs $4500 needs an EQ, then you have clearly bought the wrong one...
I see it completely differently.

The following statement is completely independent of the price range:

I owned a number of TOTL headphones. Basically, I was able to increase the listening pleasure of everyone by using an EQ (Harman was always aimed at).
I call this personalization.
With some headphones, I would even speak of a complete change.
For example Empyrean:
Out of the box, this HP was unusable for me. Adjusted according to Harman, the Meze was a revelation, and I had a lot of fun for many months.

I have been the owner of an Lcd-i4 for some time.
Here the story is repeated 1:1.
The Harman Settings from Crinacle, can be used on the Lcd-i4 without any changes. Adjusted like this, this In-Ear is the best I have ever heard.

It becomes completely absurd for me when the Utopia owner tries to raise the bass of this HP by a desired 2-3db with a $ 1000 Lazuli cable
(and best of all, demonize the DSP).

The FR measurements and EQ settings from Oratory 1990 and Crinacle,
are the best thing that has happened to me in the HP area.

It is your own fault if you do not use this personalization option,
and instead wander around the snake oil department...

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #2,282 of 6,785
There are ways for that to be done. Not going to go into how it could be executed because that will take us considerably off topic, but it could and should be done.
Everything is possible with enough effort, but Frankly speaking "what for"?

They instantly sell 100% of headphones they are able to produce right now

Putting in the effort to redistribute the order in which they are sold, doesn't earn them more

Nov 1, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #2,283 of 6,785
IMG_1506-2.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

Pretty decent.

Nov 1, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #2,284 of 6,785
I feel the need to drop in at the expense of getting booed but the same people that are anti-eq seem to be the same ones chasing the perfect silver plated gold thousand strand whatever cable to clear the lower midrange and boost some other stuff don't know.
Haha, I love this comment.

Nov 1, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #2,285 of 6,785
Everything is possible with enough effort, but Frankly speaking "what for"?

They instantly sell 100% of headphones they are able to produce right now

Putting in the effort to redistribute the order in which they are sold, doesn't earn them more
To optimize your customer experience, so your paying customers have a satisfactory purchase and ownership experience. This is key to ensuring repeat customers. Most companies now are trying to optimize their CX strategy to minimize friction in the buying process.

I'm not going to go into the notion of "earn them more" because there are various scenarios where this would impact their sales and LCD-5 sales.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #2,286 of 6,785
This is just one example of what happens when trying to EQ to a measured target and our goal is not to game the system to match some numbers but to tune headphones where we can stand behind our tuning.
I applaud Audeze for this line. This is what separates a good manufacturer from mediocre ones (a strong majority of those in today's landscape!). Admittedly, I was never a huge fan of Audeze in the past, having saved up all my pennies as a young student to purchase LCD3's, and finding them too dark and tame up top - I could not justify keeping at the time.

Audeze as of late has evidently re-thought and refined their house sound, to something I would consider quite possibly class-leading listening neutrality (3 players up here).

On the topic of EQ, I do it on a few headphones which I adore (Susvara, HD800). Ironically, my favorite headphones are some of the most detailed, sometimes sounding thin - I personally find EQ to work best by subtraction, and I like to be working with a transducer that sounds a bit too detailed and hot rather than veiled and dull.

I think the out of box tuning of LCD5 is near neutral with a bit of air lacking. I don't find the upper mids too hot at all, but they are definitely unforgiving. For all those who think it's too hot, maybe it is, but it's probably more the listener searching for some forgiveness and color, which is totally fine.

I like the LCD5 AS IS most by far on my system, but did enjoy one of @Resolve 's EQ profile for some of my older classic rock, metal, etc. Otherwise, I find myself putting an 80Hz bass shelf of +3dB as well as a 6kHz treble shelf of +1.5dB to help them sound a bit more musical (listening-neutral).

Can't wait to receive my CRBN now.
1B66705F-2E48-413F-9B8E-88BE8BF63DB9.jpeg

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 1, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #2,287 of 6,785
I owned the HD800 and loved them, in fact EQ helped bring them to the next level
You use a dap with power and detailed EQ abilities, and you got a real solution.
This is an end-game solution:
IMG_20211031_150222.jpg

iBasso 300Max (Ti) and the LCD-5 are a match made in heaven.

I also forgot to mention that the soundstage was on point accurate.
If you like the susvara & HD800 but feel it's a touch extended, and like your Abyss but feel its a touch large, you will find this LCD-5 realistic and accurate, holding a good solid open soundstage.
I would say the most impressive aspect of this headphone, is the gunshot scary deep & fast bass it can punch at you at times (depending on source).
The headphones sound very realistic, akin to a portable Abyss with a clarity.
What makes me wonder is why would they pick that signature of top end dip.
I think it's because of stupid trends.

If a Headphone that costs $4500 needs an EQ, then you have clearly bought the wrong one. But I understand why people use an EQ. A review in which it is claimed that you need an EQ so that the LCD 5 sounds best, I can't take it seriously and I also find it very unprofessional.

You would have to hear it to understand. It has almost every tangible and intangible quality you could want, both physical and audible. It is a portable full sized can. It is unique and very alluring despite the soft trebles.
Also even when elevated to neutral levels the trebles are liquid and never harsh.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #2,288 of 6,785
I feel the need to drop in at the expense of getting booed but the same people that are anti-eq seem to be the same ones chasing the perfect silver plated gold thousand strand whatever cable to clear the lower midrange and boost some other stuff don't know.
The silver cable i'm using sound better across the board than the stock cable (which is silver plated copper, not that it matters). I chalk it down to better construction and conductivity (thicker gauge ), not magic materials.
It becomes completely absurd for me when the Utopia owner tries to raise the bass of this HP by a desired 2-3db with a $ 1000 Lazuli cable
(and best of all, demonize the DSP).
Way to rise above demonizing .I could say the same thing about people buying 4.5k headphones with 200$ dacs and claiming their EQ settings "improved the soundstage and bla bla" and that anyone getting anything more expensive than a Schiit stack is an idiot. Though those people also buy expensive cables .
It's photoshop for audio, any monkey can move some sliders around. And most people have absolutely no idea how it works, they're just copying people on the internet. The way you trust some reviewer's EQ profile, i trust the company that designs my products and i choose to give my money to :)
It is your own fault if you do not use this personalization option,
and instead wander around the snake oil department...
I find it hilarious that you think spending 4.5k on a pair of headphones isn't as much in the "snake oil" department as expensive cables.

Nov 1, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #2,289 of 6,785
I agree with you, well said. Another way to clarify the point would be to say:

"If you are opposed to utilizing EQ to change the sound of a headphone then you should only ever use the Stock Cables that come with the headphone as they were what was used to voice it from the designers............."

Nov 1, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #2,290 of 6,785
You use a dap with power and detailed EQ abilities, and you got a real solution.
This is an end-game solution:
IMG_20211031_150222.jpg
iBasso 300Max (Ti) and the LCD-5 are a match made in heaven.

I bet!! With the DX300 amp12 it's also a great pair!

This is how I spent my Halloween night :smiling_imp:🎃.

20211029_232950-01.jpeg

Nov 1, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #2,291 of 6,785
Here’s Audeze’s write up on their philosophy for FR and EQ on their headphones FWIW

Nov 1, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #2,292 of 6,785
"If you are opposed to utilizing EQ to change the sound of a headphone then you should only ever use the Stock Cables that come with the headphone as they were what was used to voice it from the designers............."
As i'm not opposed to anyone doing anything, because i don't care, i'm not sure why others get to decide what i do :p

Do i care that the cable costs more than the Dap ? No, good for @Terco . People need to put down the pitchforks and stop forcing advice onto others and projecting their previous experiences.
I don't care if people EQ or not, i'm not saying i won't, I'm saying at 4.5k you shouldn't have to. Which is probably the case.

Nov 1, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #2,293 of 6,785
As i'm not opposed to anyone doing anything, because i don't care, i'm not sure why others get to decide what i do :p

Do i care that the cable costs more than the Dap ? No, good for @Terco . People need to put down the pitchforks and stop forcing advice onto others and projecting their previous experiences.
I don't care if people EQ or not, i'm not saying i won't, I'm saying at 4.5k you shouldn't have to. Which is probably the case.
Pot meet kettle. I don’t own a pitchfork but I know how to make a point.

No one is saying you have to, but that it offers improvement.

Nov 1, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #2,294 of 6,785
Just in case anyone's looking to purchase an LCD-5 today, I received an in-stock alert from Crutchfield as well as Audio46, so they must be available at dealers across the USA now.

Nov 1, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #2,295 of 6,785
Here’s Audeze’s write up on their philosophy for FR and EQ on their headphones FWIW
I believe they have a valid point and have well chosen points, but went a bit too far (IMO)
To me, anything (peaks&dips/valleys) going beyond a 8db in amy sensitive region, is going too far.
Whoever made this choice just chopped off a section of the buying market that rather have a more neutral approach.

This is a trend that sadly DCA & ZMF went worse. Their beautiful gorgeous designs are forever marked by specific deliberate excessive signatures, instead of going neutral, for widest possible consumers.
At least Audeze has well chosen FR points.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back