Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Oct 5, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #1,081 of 6,785
Dumb watches tend to be like $1,000,000. You don't see me complaining. What we spend our money on is our business and our business only. Anyone complaining about prices can rub It on their chest. The world was always going down with expensive items or not. Doesn't matter in the end.

Oct 5, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #1,083 of 6,785
"Specific LCD-5 discussion begins at 4:20"
After listening to the short quips about weight and "LSD" model name at the end of the video, this only makes sense.

Oct 5, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #1,085 of 6,785
Kinda surprised Audeze did not price the LCD5 at over $5k... Although quite pricey enough as is LOL.
If you want to buy a new pair of LCD5 in a UK store, that $4500 jumps to $5500 (£4000) suddenly. Tax and duty fees will increase this even more in some other countries. But I am also glad, Audeze pricing is just 'very crazy' as opposed to 'absolutely mental' at some other brands.

Oct 5, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #1,088 of 6,785
Like Nvidia knowing that they can get away with the RTX 3090 MSRP at $1600... because they can. :smirk:
Not exactly a fair comparison, the 3090 can pay for itself after a few months.

Oct 5, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #1,090 of 6,785
I think when you consider that the Audeze flagship was $4k 6 years ago I am very pleased with the price of the LCD-5.

Oct 5, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #1,091 of 6,785
A fascinating interview with Sankar himself. Also hints at maybe the return of the LCD-R in the future?

Edit: Sorry, didn’t see it was already posted upstairs.

Oct 5, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #1,092 of 6,785
I've finally finished editing my video review. I think I've covered just about everything I can in 24 minutes.

Oct 5, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #1,094 of 6,785
I've finally finished editing my video review. I think I've covered just about everything I can in 24 minutes.

Well that was super helpful. It told me exactly what I’ve been waiting to find out.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #1,095 of 6,785
Not exactly a fair comparison, the 3090 can pay for itself after a few months.
There’s always a premium for TOTL. TOTL isn’t for everyone. I can’t justify the thousand dollar 80-inch with ultra new tech TVs.
True lol. It's not apples to apples, but when you compare performance and specs, you're paying a massive premium for the 3090 over the 3080 or a 6900XT. And people fall for it (as in people who won't even get near pushing the card's VRAM as it was designed to be for 3D professionals). Not only that, it's also the least efficient card of the whole lot...
Still, at the end of the day, frames are frames for most people. One card nets you 89fps and another 97fps. The whole idea is higher graphical fidelity @ higher frames per second. It's more black and white with computer hardware.
E.g., 3080 -> 3090; 100% price increase for ~10% performance gains @ 10% more power consumption. Whether that's worth it is up to your justification.

Headphones/audio is a bit of a different beast as you know. Someone may simply prefer cheaper headphones to their ears.
Even justifying LCD-X ($1500) vs LCD-5 ($4500) requires a bit more subjective experience to make an informed decision as to whether it's worth it to you. We can't objectively measure every aspect of a transducer's psychoacoustic performance.

With other hardware, (TV's, computing, etc), it's much more obvious what you're paying for and how much of a premium you're paying. That's why I think it's easier for some audiophile companies to get away with ridiculous pricing for sometimes ridiculous products.
Nvidia marketing knows that there are many people addicted to buying the latest and greatest tech products even if it's not a wise buying decision. But at least you can point to objective data and understand what the premium actually is... hard to do that when comparing LCD-5 to Susvara for example.

Sorry, /rant :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back