Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Oct 5, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #1,096 of 6,787
Well that was super helpful. It told me exactly what I’ve been waiting to find out.
I love the Senn HD650, so a super version of that on steroids sounds great! Although isn't that what the HD800S is, basically?

Oct 5, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #1,098 of 6,787
I've finally finished editing my video review. I think I've covered just about everything I can in 24 minutes.

Thanks! How do you find the LCD-5 with female voices? Their upper-mids should make them vivid, isn't it?

Oct 5, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #1,101 of 6,787
True lol. It's not apples to apples, but when you compare performance and specs, you're paying a massive premium for the 3090 over the 3080 or a 6900XT. And people fall for it (as in people who won't even get near pushing the card's VRAM as it was designed to be for 3D professionals). Not only that, it's also the least efficient card of the whole lot...
Still, at the end of the day, frames are frames for most people. One card nets you 89fps and another 97fps. The whole idea is higher graphical fidelity @ higher frames per second. It's more black and white with computer hardware.
E.g., 3080 -> 3090; 100% price increase for ~10% performance gains @ 10% more power consumption. Whether that's worth it is up to your justification.

Headphones/audio is a bit of a different beast as you know. Someone may simply prefer cheaper headphones to their ears.
Even justifying LCD-X ($1500) vs LCD-5 ($4500) requires a bit more subjective experience to make an informed decision as to whether it's worth it to you. We can't objectively measure every aspect of a transducer's psychoacoustic performance.

With other hardware, (TV's, computing, etc), it's much more obvious what you're paying for and how much of a premium you're paying. That's why I think it's easier for some audiophile companies to get away with ridiculous pricing for sometimes ridiculous products.
Nvidia marketing knows that there are many people addicted to buying the latest and greatest tech products even if it's not a wise buying decision. But at least you can point to objective data and understand what the premium actually is... hard to do that when comparing LCD-5 to Susvara for example.

Sorry, /rant :sweat_smile:
I couldnt disagree more...in terms of TV it is at least to my eyes very difficult to ascertain Improvements in HD TV's but I can easily hear differences in HP's...good or bad

Oct 5, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #1,102 of 6,787
I've finally finished editing my video review. I think I've covered just about everything I can in 24 minutes.

Excellent review, I can't wait to compare my LCD-R's with these. I personally love having more mid/upper mid energy, so I'm hoping (for the sake of my neck and ears!) that I like the LCD-5 more than the R.

Have you made any comparisons after using EQ?

Oct 5, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #1,104 of 6,787
I couldnt disagree more...in terms of TV it is at least to my eyes very difficult to ascertain Improvements in HD TV's but I can easily hear differences in HP's...good or bad
Sounds like you've never watched a high-res movie on an OLED TV, but we digress...

Oct 5, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #1,105 of 6,787
Well, you're missing my point tho.

Point is: Human hearing seems to vary more from person to person than visuals. Because of this, there's room for more snake oil and hiding price premiums from consumers. With other electronics there are literally objective benchmarks to compare because those metrics are more generally agreed upon (pixel count, dynamic range, color accuracy, refresh rate, input latency, frames per second, etc).

RTX 3090 is 10% better than 3080 at XYZ workload.
Now, tell me how much better is the LCD-5 over the LCD-X? How do you even go about trying to objectively quantify that..?

And even now, all I know about the LCD-5 is that Currawong thinks they're a highly resolving Super HD650 (and I trust his opinion, he's a great reviewer). But to understand that, one would have had to first experienced the HD650.
Every audio review has subjective comparisons, which one would to have intimate knowledge these products to understand. Only some include measurements (which are only relevant to other measurements from the same exact setup).
In comparison, every GPU review instead has objective benchmarks comparing frames per second power, temperature, etc. People would roll their eyes if you started giving a ton of subjective impressions of a GPU.

To come full circle, Audeze could've charged $6k, had a mastering engineer on video say they prefer it over their $15k monitors and called it a day. People would've still lined up to buy them without knowing a whole lot about them. There's a psychological tendency to think items that cost more are of higher quality, and this industry seems to capitalize on that more often.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #1,106 of 6,787
my vision stink but is corrected with glasses...my hearing is pretty good but I dont think it is only the quality of ones hearing but the different preferences in terms of presentation of music via HP...some like a wider soundstage, some more bass etc...some listen with expensive TOTL equipment while others have modest equipment...more variables

Oct 5, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #1,107 of 6,787
People would roll their eyes if you started giving a ton of subjective impressions of a GPU.

It was funny even imagining this. "Sure, it may benchmark poorly, but I love how it harmonically distorts my computer":smile:.

Oct 5, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #1,108 of 6,787
OT and I am not a videophile, FWIW Jim Weil, the person behind Sound Applications power conditioners who arguably makes one of the best power conditioners, plugs his TV into his power conditioners and tunes them that way as it is easy (for him) to notice visual changes. His conditioners are used by many broadcast studios and are a great foundation for audio chains (including mine). It may look like voodoo, but we all train our ears or eyes to zero in on certain aspects (be it audio or visual) and over time learn to recognize even the subtlest of changes (to varying degree)

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #1,109 of 6,787
The comfort/pad issues in Currawong’s review were not something I was expecting. I was 100% sure I was going to buy these but I’m now having doubts.

Oct 5, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #1,110 of 6,787
OT and I am not a videophile, FWIW Jim Weil, the person behind Sound Applications power conditioners who arguably makes one of the best power conditioners, plugs his TV into his power conditioners and tunes them that way as it is easy (for him) to notice visual changes. His conditioners are used by many broadcast studios and are a great foundation for audio chains (including mine). It may look like voodoo, but we all train our ears or eyes to zero in on certain aspects (be it audio or visual) and over time learn to recognize even the subtlest of changes (to varying degree)
I believe it. Are they made to order? Hard to find any that are available for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back