Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Sep 23, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #588 of 6,785
Wait for Canada distribution to commence. I’m not in any rush but 2022 could be interesting. Abyss complete or lcd5… ‘‘tis to dream

Sep 23, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #589 of 6,785
We will have a few LCD5s as well as CRBNs and other headphones at CanJam. Please drop by and say hi, if you are coming. Audeze will have booths F4,5,6. The LCD5 will be driven by the new Weiss 502 amp/DAC. The other for the CRBN using a Chord Hugo TT2 (as the DAC) with either an LTA Z10e or Mjolnir amp. Song selection will be via Qobuz. Here is a map to help you out. SoCal_Layout_Final_A.jpg
a FEW LCD-5s hopefully there won't be too long of a line! I'll see you guys there!

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #590 of 6,785
And the dynamics? That’s the missing piece for me, lol.
Excellent. That's one area where Audeze cans have been great.
do you use an amp? I also have a TT2 and a M-Scaler and I found LCD-4 better driven with an amp than just using the TT2's amp. the difference isn't huge but at that gear price I just can't afford to miss out on some quality.
If I use an amp, I lose a bit of detail. I have an adaptor that I use to drive the Susvaras and LCD-R out of the rear XLR ports too. I also have the Studio Six here, which, in present configuration, adds a touch of warmth.
Has it less bass then Susvara?
Hope that mids are not too shouty.
I haven't compared to the Susvaras yet. I think that "speaker flat", which my lazy description of how the LCD-5 is tuned, tends to be perceived as the mids being too shouty. In contrast, my definition of "listening neutral" for headphones is a frequency response that is touch v-shaped.
Now comes the tricky part: Why do people assume that they are being forced or attacked when someone asks about objective evaluations? As soon as I mention the measurements, I receive multiple messages to cut the crap and just listen. Why is that?
You missed one thing: qualifications. The reason feel attacked is that, for many years, unqualified, and self-described "objectivists" have tried to ram an "all you need is measurements" theme down peoples' throats, here and elsewhere, something any qualified and experienced engineer will be able to explain the limitations of such an approach. This is why many manufacturers will no longer post measurements of their products, because having a bunch of unqualified and ignorant customers (many of whom believe if anything related to "science" is being done, that it is an arbiter of absolute truth) being schooled by equally unqualified and pseudo experts on forums (often pointing to backyard measurements performed by people who don't know what they are doing) results in misleading conclusions.

Even if you didn't want to read that, I'm posting it for everyone else who does read it.

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #591 of 6,785
when it comes to headphones I think so called measurements are the most misleading thing possible...yes there are a few numbers I look at to see how difficult to drive the HP is...beyond that I let my ears decide and it has held me in good stead...same with amps

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #592 of 6,785
The thing about lcd bass is that you would need a speaker system and more importantly a treated room in the multiple 5 figures (or 6) to match what the 4-5s can do in terms of true low end detail and dynamics. I’m terms of impact, individual frequency resolution (ie a huge hit at 90 hz doesn’t make the whole speaker cone explode), and also true depth (sine sweeps that go all the way down sound totally even). I use the lcd stuff for minute low end modifications in mastering that would be hard to hear in a non mastering environment. I had less luck with dynamic based headphones that I worked with in the past. So it’s funny to see people worrying about the bass because it isn’t artificially boosted, that’s literally the best thing about Audeze planars.

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #593 of 6,785
I think that "speaker flat", which my lazy description of how the LCD-5 is tuned, tends to be perceived as the mids being too shouty. In contrast, my definition of "listening neutral" for headphones is a frequency response that is touch v-shaped.
This the only thing that worries me a bit. Not a huge fan of shouty mids, tho I do like the sound of the Klipsch heritage line, something many would call slightly "shouty" depending on the model and environment. So, maybe it won't be so bad to my ears.

The reason feel attacked is that, for many years, unqualified, and self-described "objectivists" have tried to ram an "all you need is measurements" theme down peoples' throats, here and elsewhere, something any qualified and experienced engineer will be able to explain the limitations of such an approach.
Exactly the point I was trying to make at the start of his rant, but you said it much more eloquently. :)

Outta curiosity, what's the timeframe for how long it takes for you to put out your reviews? Typically on the order of weeks, or months?

I enjoy watching your content. :L3000:

Sep 23, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #594 of 6,785
You missed one thing: qualifications. The reason feel attacked is that, for many years, unqualified, and self-described "objectivists" have tried to ram an "all you need is measurements" theme down peoples' throats, here and elsewhere, something any qualified and experienced engineer will be able to explain the limitations of such an approach. This is why many manufacturers will no longer post measurements of their products, because having a bunch of unqualified and ignorant customers (many of whom believe if anything related to "science" is being done, that it is an arbiter of absolute truth) being schooled by equally unqualified and pseudo experts on forums (often pointing to backyard measurements performed by people who don't know what they are doing) results in misleading conclusions.

Speaking of qualifications and experience in science, the above elaborates one of my favourite quotes from Neil deGrasse Tyson:

"To know enough to think you are right, but not enough to know that you're wrong."

Sep 23, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #595 of 6,785
What are you talking about. While I 100% agree with the analogy of analyzing the ingredients of food -

You are not going to DIE or hurt yourself by listening to a headphone, And you won't suffer an allergic reaction.

Why analyze the ingredients of the food when you can just taste it and see if it's good or not?

Why complicate everything and read the graph and measurements when you can listen to the headphone yourself and see if you like it or not?

You can't tell the quality of the driver and sound from a graph - Take a 500$ headphone and a 5000$ headphone and EQ them to have a very close FR response.

Which one will sound better? - Obviously the 5000$ one, But you are not able to see it through the graph.

There are so many different aspects to the sound that are not shown through the measurements such as:

Detail retrieval
Bass Impact (not amount, But physical impact)
Bass speed
Instrument separation
Soundstage Width, Depth
Imaging
Layering
ETC.....

You also don't know how the sound will come together and actually sound as a whole.

We are different than the measuring gear and our ears perceive sound differently.

It's going to be really hard to determine what you like and don't like according to a graph, You have to be very familiar with yourself and have your own FR profile and know how you hear different frequencies.

So again - Why bother yourself with all that When you can just listen to the headphones and hear if you actually like them or not? - Without missing any aspect of the sound?

And we haven't touched dacs and amplifiers who can alter the FR graph from the measurement.

Also, It's incredibly stupid to decide whether a headphone suits you or not without actually trying it first - Especially when talking about 4500$ and thousands more on equipment.

If you are serious about spending 4500$ on a headphone it's best to test it thoroughly by actually using the product. And when you have that kind of money to put on headphones you can afford to spend a few extra 100$s to fly to a different country and test them.
💯
Eloquently put. Going to borrow this, lol.

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #596 of 6,785

Even if you didn't want to read that, I'm posting it for everyone else who does read it.
But that is their problem for being so jumpy and feel attacked whenever someone mentions something outside their comfort zone. Because I said this:
Listening to that garbage tuning of LCD-4 for so long might have influenced people’s evaluation of Stealth. Because a HP is not bass head’s wet dream, and it presents a perfect balance and midrange clarity rather than just “fun”, it doesn’t mean it is bad. I personally wouldn’t pay 500€ For any LCD including the 4. 5 doesn’t seem to be a big departure on the tuning front. Also the distortion is considerably higher. So where does this place 5 if Stealth isn’t worth its price?
For me that measurement graph is important. Unlike many, I use EQ for many things, even for single albums, and such wildly varying measurements make the EQ'ing difficult. This is for me, not for you or those little boys giggling at their idiot level silly jokes. I did not devalue anyone that wants to listen and decide. I am not posting to them, they have been quoting and posting to my posts and even private messages. I also said this:
Anyway, I would like to try the 5 some time, and will be more than happy if suits my taste. If not, I wish the buyers lots of fun with their purchase and you a good product launch.

I can understand where you are coming from, as you are also a reviewer and get the attention you want to have from those people that mainly want to listen and hear your opinions. You benefit from that system. You probably also had some issues with people that just want to look at the objective data. But that is again _your_ issue, not mine. This forum and those stupid commentors that act like little kids giggling and masturbating to their HPs are not very different from those people that do the same thing to their measurement data. It is the same ignorance and stupidity that drives them both., as they are showing the same stupid behaviour you mention above to people that want to have a supporting data.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #597 of 6,785
If I use an amp, I lose a bit of detail. I have an adaptor that I use to drive the Susvaras and LCD-R out of the rear XLR ports too. I also have the Studio Six here, which, in present configuration, adds a touch of warmth.

strange, I found the opposite and I was quite a bit disappointed with TT2 in this regard because I was counting on using it as a DAC & amp and in the end I am only using it as a DAC and it is excellent. Audeze said LCD5 should be easier to drive, but we will have to see.

Sep 24, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #599 of 6,785
Is there any way to pin the actual headphone impressions somewhere at the beginning of the thread? Having a hard time combing through all the other stuff to find actual impressions.
Maybe someone should start a showcase (https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/) for the LCD-5 and start posting impressions and such there?

Sep 24, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #600 of 6,785
Impressions should come, as in all hp launches, well all audio launches, it has to launch to get evaluated. This is the pre amble faze of posture, speculation, deduction

Users who are viewing this thread

Back