Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Sep 23, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #571 of 6,785
What are you talking about. While I 100% agree with the analogy of analyzing the ingredients of food -

You are not going to DIE or hurt yourself by listening to a headphone, And you won't suffer an allergic reaction.

Why analyze the ingredients of the food when you can just taste it and see if it's good or not?

Why complicate everything and read the graph and measurements when you can listen to the headphone yourself and see if you like it or not?

You can't tell the quality of the driver and sound from a graph - Take a 500$ headphone and a 5000$ headphone and EQ them to have a very close FR response.

Which one will sound better? - Obviously the 5000$ one, But you are not able to see it through the graph.

There are so many different aspects to the sound that are not shown through the measurements such as:

Detail retrieval
Bass Impact (not amount, But physical impact)
Bass speed
Instrument separation
Soundstage Width, Depth
Imaging
Layering
ETC.....

You also don't know how the sound will come together and actually sound as a whole.

We are different than the measuring gear and our ears perceive sound differently.

It's going to be really hard to determine what you like and don't like according to a graph, You have to be very familiar with yourself and have your own FR profile and know how you hear different frequencies.

So again - Why bother yourself with all that When you can just listen to the headphones and hear if you actually like them or not? - Without missing any aspect of the sound?

And we haven't touched dacs and amplifiers who can alter the FR graph from the measurement.

Also, It's incredibly stupid to decide whether a headphone suits you or not without actually trying it first - Especially when talking about 4500$ and thousands more on equipment.

If you are serious about spending 4500$ on a headphone it's best to test it thoroughly by actually using the product. And when you have that kind of money to put on headphones you can afford to spend a few extra 100$s to fly to a different country and test them.
I have no idea why I keep receiving this kind of messages from people that get it completely wrong. In the last days I have been receiving messages in the threads, as PM, all telling me their experiences with their gadgets, purchases, cables and stuff. This is going to be my last post about this, and I am sorry to say that but you guys are acting emotionally and _not_ getting my point.

1) Measurements and objective analysis are and always should be and will be part of the development and manufaturing process. All those things you have written above are are your perceptions as an end customer, and that is the way it should be. These are two ends of a spectrum.

2) A company needs to have a deterministic process to a) ensure consistancy of the quality of their products b) propagate the lessons learned from earlier products, iterations and even other companies' products to the newer generations c) have a method to analyse and quantify customer input and convert that into facts that can be reused and digestible in that process d) keep an eye on the scientific developments and again create values digestible by that process.

3) This can only be done when there are objective and deterministic standarts are in place, because subjectivity changes person to person. In this particular case, the adherence can only be achieved when the company adapts a deterministic and quantifyable process.

4) A customer (us) does not need to be aware of that knowledgebase, but can also be, so we can choose to move in that spectrum for whatever reason, and learn about the measures, but we can still evaluate with our perception.

5) It is the companies challange to take those perceptions and quantify them as much as possible, so that it is person independent and can be deterministically realised. So that, for example, when the people doing the subjective tests in the company gets old and their hearing deteriorate, the quality can be retained. Of course, there is the "experience" part of it. For example, music producers in years lose part of their hearing but the quality of their should remain - that comes with experience.

6) Of cource, the company should be all over that spectrum. In the end, the customer perception is the evaluation (theoretically, ignoring the influencers like reviewers) that decides on the success of that product.

7) Some of the measures the companies use are standarts that are derived from research and other industry standarts, like the freqeuncy graphs, distorion graphs, impulse response etc. These will be common measures between the company and outside. Influencers (HeadFi) may refer to these, too. That is why Jude has this expensive measurement station. Customers may learn to read and evaluate these or just stay with their perception. It is their choice. But the important point here is that, they may not give you the whole picture but tell very important things about it. The customer may choose to ignore that, but that is rather a choice that cannot influence the facts.

8) Why do the customers might refer to objectivity? a) For the influencers, reviewers; it is important to refer to the objective facts as firstly they can check if the company did its homework, like distortion, resonances etc., and inform the customers that are interested b) Provide a preliminary evaluation data to people that are interested it, but not able to access a test unit - and believe it or not this is the majority of the people. Then your question: "So again - Why bother yourself with all that When you can just listen to the headphones and hear if you actually like them or not? - Without missing any aspect of the sound?" Do you know what percentage of people can really do that? Just because you and a few lucky people can do it, do you think it is really possible for everybody? Some people may not even be able to return it, as they may not even have it in their country. So should they just stop asking for objective data? Especially when there are so many differences in music, recordings and even perceptions of people etc. etc, can you please understand that objective data is most of the time only common reference point?

9) Now comes the tricky part: Why do people assume that they are being forced or attacked when someone asks about objective evaluations? As soon as I mention the measurements, I receive multiple messages to cut the crap and just listen. Why is that? I didn't say what you are doing is wrong, I just mentioned or asked a question about what for me is right. Why is everyone so jumpy when they hear the word measurements? I don't get it really. What is wrong when someone says s/he trusts objective data? I am not telling you not to listen and trust your ears, I am asking a question referring to the fact that I value objective data? Why do people feel attacked when they hear that? Unlike you, I don't devalue subjectivity, but also value objectivity. Two different things!

You go and listen and evaluate. It is your business, I don't care. I know examples of HPs that some are crazy about and say it is the best, then I look at the graph and it has a -6db hole in the low mids that suffocates the vocals. Those people continue to tell wonders about that headphone, but that fault is very audible and sound is very off. But nearly noone talks about it, which is very audible. then you understand that none of those people listen to vocals, are mostly bass and treble heads, and bingo! You just imported a nearly $4K total cost of a headphone, when you send it back your import costs are dead and plus you have to pay again for the shipment and restocking fees. Just as an example.

I don't believe in many of the told stories here, that is my thing. You might believe them, and that is yours. I don't care about yours. So please stop telling me what I should do. I, again, don't care about yours. When I ask about objectivity, it is about me, not you. So stop taking things personally. It is, as you said, just stupid to make useless suggestions to someone that didn't ask for it. Save it to yourself.

I am out of this topic. Anyone that sends me PMs, or messages will be ignored using the ignore list, so you will not get any response from me. If you feel uncomfortable, feel free to ignore me.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #572 of 6,785
As usual, so difficult to try to ascertain with any accuracy just how a headphone will sound when used in a particular audio chain. A recording engineer mastering recordings would very likely have an entirely different set of criteria than would the everyday audiophile who just wants to enjoy a full, accurate, immersive listening experience. These LCD 5 do sound promising, but sure would be nice to be able to audition with same dac / amp / cable to determine if worth ponying up the exhorbitant fee to acquire.

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #574 of 6,785
As usual, so difficult to try to ascertain with any accuracy just how a headphone will sound when used in a particular audio chain. A recording engineer mastering recordings would very likely have an entirely different set of criteria than would the everyday audiophile who just wants to enjoy a full, accurate, immersive listening experience. These LCD 5 do sound promising, but sure would be nice to be able to audition with same dac / amp / cable to determine if worth ponying up the exhorbitant fee to acquire.
How do you propose that happen?

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #575 of 6,785
How do you propose that happen?
Minus infinite funding to acquire all desired devices to test, looks like luck of the draw I guess. Plus trying to glean as much usable info from others' reviews and thoughts on these forums. As costly as the gear is getting, sure would be nice to be able to try before buying, to verify personal listening on the chain at home proves to be satisfactory.

The current 4z with the amp and dac I have yields pretty good results, so not super motivated to spend thousands more right now to try something different. Would I like to? Of course. Other priorities at this time prevail unfortunately.

Sep 23, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #576 of 6,785
I got to hear these when they were showcasing them in nyc. I own the 4z and master records with Various Audeze headphones (4z, lcdi4 and even the lcd1). I always eq my headphones! But the 5s sounded like they didn’t need eq, records with shouty 3k sounded shouty as they do on my mastering monitors. Comparing to the 4z, the hole in the upper mids was so apparent! Again since I only listen to them eqed it just sounded weird to me. The bass of the 5s sounded great and how it should sound on the reference material I’m used to.
They are way lighter and the ear fit is much better. In short: a more reference tuned LCD that’s more comfortable and ergonomic. Both them and CRBN sounded like I could work with them without having to learn them, as they both had a more or less similar reference tuning.

Side note: I told Sankar I thought the 4zs sounded better than mine and he said it was the new ear pads. I just got some for my 4z and wow do they sound better! The newly designed pads make the headphone sit closer to the ear, and they seem to seal better. So the 4z sound bigger and more slamming in bass and better in the upper mids. No brainer upgrade for any LCD owner. Would I trade them for a set of 5? Absolutely. But they are killer headphones.I mastered a record on them this week and the client loved it.
Thanks for the thoughts! I just bought a pair of 4z's with the new pads. Loving them, but I'm still in my return window and could potentially trade up for the 5's. Would you say the 5 is a clearly upgraded 4z, or just a more reference tuned version? I'm using them in a studio environment and would prefer not to EQ...

Sep 23, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #578 of 6,785
I'm trying the LCD-5 out of various amps. I'd rate them as being pretty ruthless, as anything at all wrong with a recording shows up pretty clearly. Everything that is great as well. I'm with Jude in that I'd EQ the mids down and bass up a bit for regular listening. I think these will be excellent for studio use where there's no background noise, as you really do hear everything.

I'm not sure how much it's my brain and how much the headphones, but the mid-range seems a touch less aggressive than when I first listened with them. What is great is the balance of both width and depth is very even. Instead of being wider and flatter (D8K Pro) or deep and narrow (Utopias) these sit nicely in the middle, neither just in your head, or just outside it. This out of a TT2 and MScaler.
I'd be curious if you find that the mid range continues to settle down over time.

The couple of folks I've DM'ed seem to both agree it's their new favorite LCD. Maybe they have similar preferences, maybe our brains just adapt, or maybe the LCD-5 experiences a more prolonged settling in time..?

I will say, I experience something similar when I jump between cans... Especially going to the Z1R. It's so different, but then suddenly becomes closer to being "correct" to my brain lol

Sep 23, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #580 of 6,785
Thanks for the info. I have been trying to decide between the crbn and lcd 5. Could you recall differences between the crbn and lcd 5 in terms of how sound is presented since the lcd 5 is circular shaped and crbn is oval/oblong shaped?
Really really different presentation. Lcd5 sounded like a next generation LCD, which is a sound I am familiar with. I guess CRBN sounds like an electrostatic which I am not as familiar with, save some shure kse1200s I had which I didn’t dig. Tuning basically the same, but CRBN felt really really detailed. Like records I knew needed some de-essing those esses were very clear and jumped out. Almost like detail extraction, but every record sounded different. It also wasn’t doing the same thing to every record. Very holographic. And I felt the low end was amazing and speaker like which I guess is uncommon for electrostats.
Of course I was unfamiliar with the amp, which was huge and obscenely expensive I remember. Also my impressions always change when I actually work with the headphones. My initial impression of the kse1200s was good, but I couldn’t work with them at all. Everything sounded good! Somehow revealing and not revealing at all at the same time. I don’t think CRBN would have that problem though.

Sep 23, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #581 of 6,785
Thanks for the thoughts! I just bought a pair of 4z's with the new pads. Loving them, but I'm still in my return window and could potentially trade up for the 5's. Would you say the 5 is a clearly upgraded 4z, or just a more reference tuned version? I'm using them in a studio environment and would prefer not to EQ...
I mean yeah, MUCH less eq needed with the 5s. No question. I would want to work with them first to really say, but it seems like they’d be easier to work with than the 4s + eq. Really the comfort and the recallability of the pad placement on the ears is a big thing too.

Sep 23, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #582 of 6,785
:beyersmile:

I’m just being honest with why I’m feeling negative about the 5s. I had high hopes for a new bass king or an even better LCD-4 type sound. That doesn’t appear to be the case. But, I am still interested in hearing impressions. Maybe I’m completely wrong in my initial negativity.

Obviously not everybody collects headphones for specific reasons like me, so I can understand others not agreeing with me. Which is fine. Different strokes and what not.

Additionally I recently bought and sold two “all around balanced headphones” (Elites and Solitaire Ps) and I was disappointed and lost money. So, perhaps I’m a bit biased with my skepticism of a new balanced all around pair of headphones
strangely I do not
I am at least happy that there are still companies that don't focus on just pleasing the slammy bass heads with the TOTL headphones. Looks like all the latest ones, Elite, Stealth and LCD5 are in that direction. Actually even Solitaire P, which has big but well controlled bass.
I am with you 100%...I personally enjoy headphones with solid bass response but I do not want a HP that is bass dominated...I want detail detail detail...soundstage and bass that is well balanced...on that score thus far the Sol P has been at the top of the list...I love the abyss TC because its bass is great but so is everything else....I guess I am not a bass head

Sep 23, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #583 of 6,785
Everyone needs a bass canon, well hp heads. The problem with them is the V it creates, the thump, but at a cost.

Sep 23, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #584 of 6,785
We will have a few LCD5s as well as CRBNs and other headphones at CanJam. Please drop by and say hi, if you are coming. Audeze will have booths F4,5,6. The LCD5 will be driven by the new Weiss 502 amp/DAC. The other for the CRBN using a Chord Hugo TT2 (as the DAC) with either an LTA Z10e or Mjolnir amp. Song selection will be via Qobuz. Here is a map to help you out.
SoCal_Layout_Final_A.jpg

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 23, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #585 of 6,785
We will have a few LCD5s as well as CRBNs and other headphones at CanJam. Please drop by and say hi, if you are coming. Audeze will have booths F4,5,6. The LCD5 will be driven by the new Weiss 502 amp/DAC. The other for the CRBN using a Chord Hugo TT2 (as the DAC) with either an LTA Z10e or Mjolnir amp. Song selection will be via Qobuz. Here is a map to help you out. SoCal_Layout_Final_A.jpg
Looks dangerous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back