Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Sep 20, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #61 of 6,820
Power/drive requirements for the LCD-5 for those that are interested:

I have yet to be impressed with an easy to drive headphone, had mx4 and 4z never liked them. The only 2 headphones that super impressed me where susvara and lcd4 and those always love power

Sep 20, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #62 of 6,820
Power/drive requirements for the LCD-5 for those that are interested:

And people talking about 5W headphone amps... 😏

While you do need headroom for peaks, you don't need several watts... I've discussed this with an accomplished amp designer, and he went into detail about this "headroom" myth. The tl;dr was that headroom doesn't exist in the same sense that many audiophiles think it does. Was a pretty interesting convo.

Using power hungry, inefficient planars to test this (Argon Mk3)... I couldn't hear a difference between two high quality headamps. One being ~3W, another being about 500mW. I think there's just a critical point of having "enough." Of course it can get more complicated than that, but point is my ears couldn't tell the difference.
YMMV.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #63 of 6,820
They look good. And the weight reduction is awesome. With Jude mentioning he needed to EQ the bass a little bit, wasn't too happy to hear that.

I do wonder whether the earpads are detachable? Looks like they are applied the same way like the previous LCDs

Sep 20, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #64 of 6,820
Jeez, this is like the 5th $4000+ flagship in a month, are we at the "techtember" (such a cheesy word) equivalent of headphones? Now is time for Focal to announce their new grand Utopia headphones, I guess.
I've never been this excited for a Canjam meeting, it's getting a little overwhelming. Really interested in how LCD5 sound compare to the new CRBN.

Sep 20, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #65 of 6,820
I think a good comparison will be with the Utopias and Susvaras, given this new sound signature :thinking:
If this headphone gives either the Susvara or Utopia a serious challenge, I'll be shocked. I base that on its posted measurements coupled with Audeze's track record (I'm not particularly a fan of any previous efforts, although I did find the bass of the LCD-4 rather seductive). That said, I will audition them at CanJam with an open mind, along with the CRBN, and post my impressions thereafter.

Sep 20, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #66 of 6,820
Jeez, this is like the 5th $4000+ flagship in a month, are we at the "techtember" (such a cheesy word) equivalent of headphones? Now is time for Focal to announce their new grand Utopia headphones, I guess.
I've never been this excited for a Canjam meeting, it's getting a little overwhelming. Really interested in how LCD5 sound compare to the new CRBN.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Focal had a Utopia successor in the works. They’ve recently revamped the rest of their lineup.

Sep 20, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #67 of 6,820
I have yet to be impressed with an easy to drive headphone, had mx4 and 4z never liked them. The only 2 headphones that super impressed me where susvara and lcd4 and those always love power
The "easy to drive" LCD-MX4 can make sound from low power sources, but that doesn't mean it sounds good. Even when using the headphone output of an RME Adi, it sounds very underwhelming. Switching over to something with more power brings it to life. I know that sounds subjective and hokey, but you really need to try it out yourself to understand.

Sep 20, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #68 of 6,820
They look good. And the weight reduction is awesome. With Jude mentioning he needed to EQ the bass a little bit, wasn't too happy to hear that.

I do wonder whether the earpads are detachable? Looks like they are applied the same way like the previous LCDs
Pretty much all Audeze need EQ to bring up the bass, at least if you’re going to EQ to bring up the upper mids, that helps keep it in balance. Since these already have the elevated upper mids you just have to balance out the bass.

Sep 20, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #70 of 6,820
I wouldn’t be surprised if Focal had a Utopia successor in the works. They’ve recently revamped the rest of their lineup.
they should

given everyone is releasing 4+thousand dollar headphones left and right

oh god now abyss might have a new headphone

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #71 of 6,820
It almost looks like the LCD-5 isn't a "replacement" for the LCD-4 at all, but another product entirely with what appears to be a distinct sound signature.

i.e. the LCD-3 seemed to be a "super" LCD-2, and the LCD-4 seemed to be a "super" LCD-3 (I owned them all), but this is a departure altogether.
I'd say this is an oversimplification. LCD-2, LCD-3 and LCD-4 all sounded different. They had similarities but were all distinct in my book. It's why even though I have LCD-4 now, I still miss some of what LCD-3 did.

We like to think of products as higher in number as being an evolution in sound as we approach a concept of perfection. But to consistently enhance isn't always do-able. Sometimes it's easier to move horizontally than vertically the closer you get to "perfection."

Sep 20, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #73 of 6,820
they should

given everyone is releasing 4+thousand dollar headphones left and right

oh god now abyss might have a new headphone
I have mixed feelings about this. The market may be too saturated with new headphones. Perhaps it would be better to hold off on the Utopia 2 and wait until there is a time where they could have the limelight for longer. I'm no business expert though, so who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back