Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Sep 20, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #18 of 6,787
This looks like the valley and the mountains I drew at the primary school. What would anyone want to have that upper mids with that treble?

Well, you can't always rely only at FR chart to determine "the whole" sound of a headphone. Unless you only hear freq swap.

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #19 of 6,787
Amazing what some of you can conclude from a few measurements.

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #21 of 6,787
This looks like the valley and the mountains I drew at the primary school. What would anyone want to have that upper mids with that treble?
I was ready to buy the new flagship, but my ears are sensitive to upper mids and an upper mid peak always sounds a tad unnatural to me... always felt like details are forced. Tho, I'm sure that's less likely to be the case here with the LCD-5.

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #22 of 6,787
I feel this means that LCD4 will still be a fav for many for its creamy signature compared to lcd5

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #23 of 6,787
The frequency response looks a lot better than lcd-4, more ear gain and closer to Harman target

Careful there :D. The 5128 Jude uses hasn't received its official Harman target, and according to a tweet by Sean Olive likely never (publicly) will.
But if you compare it on the 5128 with other headphones that so far measure decently well relative to Harman's target on a compliant test rig (HD650, DCA Stealth) then indeed we can presume that it shouldn't land too far off on such a test rig, although a universal (for all headphones) transfer function doesn't exist between the 5128 and Harman compliant rigs.
That said I wouldn't fret too much about the exact dB values, which may on your own head turn out to be a bit different at the least (including, to a limited degree, the level of the ear canal gain region relative to the rest which seems to concern some people apparently).
What I rather see is a fairly smooth curve that looks like it shouldn't suffer from excessive sharp resonances / nulls for most of the spectrum, and a general shape that looks like it could work for human beings and not aliens. It's typical of the sort of results that, in the absence of additional info, ring no alarm bell whatsoever when I look at them and makes me want to try them.

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #25 of 6,787
I would not buy an Audeze headphone again when it is first released (or in the first year). First batches of LCD 2v2.1 & XC collecting dust on my shelf - many of the sonic issues were allegedly fixed with the same model types several years later ...
Furthermore, Audeze production tolerances vary so much (batch to batch?) that I would only purchase with an agreement to be able to conduct an extensive trial at home (there is at least one dealer I am aware of who offer 360 day returns - would strongly consider them for Audeze).
My 2 Cents. Preordered new Stax instead.

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #28 of 6,787
Sep 20, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #29 of 6,787
I feel this means that LCD4 will still be a fav for many for its creamy signature compared to lcd5
this is how I immediately felt when watching his review. The CRBN sounds more appealing now.

I don't currently own the LCD4 but hopefully this brings the price down and I can get one for an even better deal than what floats here on the classifieds

I don't have a huge problem with the weight and I've always liked the LCD4 but never bought it because I have others I listen to all the time. I have an LCDX and its OK. I never use it anymore.

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #30 of 6,787
This, too, is a little underwhelming. Welp. Meh.
A Borderline bright headphone with the Name LCD ... how could this happen.

My disappointment is immeasureable and my day is ruined...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back