Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Jan 21, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #6,226 of 6,828
Thanks much
Also can check whether you have the earlier or later headband that is not as tight. I can’t remember the date but anything manufactured recently should be the latter.

Jan 21, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #6,227 of 6,828
I actually have the opposite issue with my lcd5. I could use a little extra clamp force. I guess I have a small distance from the top of my head to my ears I always have to have the headphones set to the lowest setting. I second the guy who said that listening to the lcd 5 is sublime. This is the first headphone I’ve had where I have to fight myself to take them off and go to sleep. With EQ I think these headphones become pretty close to perfect for me.

Jan 21, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #6,228 of 6,828
I actually have the opposite issue with my lcd5. I could use a little extra clamp force. I guess I have a small distance from the top of my head to my ears I always have to have the headphones set to the lowest setting. I second the guy who said that listening to the lcd 5 is sublime. This is the first headphone I’ve had where I have to fight myself to take them off and go to sleep. With EQ I think these headphones become pretty close to perfect for me.

Glad you are liking them. Same struggles I have. I have to commit to sessions and know I won't be doing anything or watching tv if I get them on.

You might want to reach out for a clampy headband if you only have the bigger one.

Jan 21, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #6,229 of 6,828
Glad you are liking them. Same struggles I have. I have to commit to sessions and know I won't be doing anything or watching tv if I get them on.

You might want to reach out for a clampy headband if you only have the bigger one.
I’ve never had issues taking headphones off. These ones I have to pry them off. These things can handle every genre I like. Rock, metal, and hip hop are just great on these.

Jan 21, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #6,230 of 6,828
Has anyone had enough experience with both the LCD-5s and the Expanse to compare? I have a local place to demo the expanse but it’s a little out of the way so didn’t get around to it yet.

Jan 21, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #6,231 of 6,828
Has anyone had enough experience with both the LCD-5s and the Expanse to compare? I have a local place to demo the expanse but it’s a little out of the way so didn’t get around to it yet.

Sure just search the thread for my opinions.

Jan 21, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #6,232 of 6,828
I’ve never had issues taking headphones off. These ones I have to pry them off. These things can handle every genre I like. Rock, metal, and hip hop are just great on these.
Love them. Like you said everything sounds good and the low distortion from EQ makes them a TOTL Swiss Army knife if a headphone in my humble opinion. Never had as many ‘wow’ moments with any other headphone, but have also been so enjoyable.

I think they’re a little misunderstood as a solely analytical by some, due to their neutral by default tuning, but with the right audio chain and / EQ they can do so much so well.

Audeze are working on a second EQ that is being dubbed the ‘fun’ EQ. Essentially something that is more focused a little more on excitement than neutrality. Will be interesting to compare to other community efforts such as Oratory, Resolve, Mitch etc.

Jan 21, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #6,233 of 6,828
Audeze are working on a second EQ that is being dubbed the ‘fun’ EQ. Essentially something that is more focused a little more on excitement than neutrality. Will be interesting to compare to other community efforts such as Oratory, Resolve, Mitch etc.
Source?

Jan 22, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #6,235 of 6,828
@KMann any word on when this second EQ profile for the LCD-5 will be completed? Also would you be able to share the convolution once complete as I know Roon is notoriously slow to add them to their updates.

Jan 22, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #6,236 of 6,828
Not just because Roon is slow but when used as an Audeze preset the Linear setting(which Audeze recommends) does not allow the MQA settings to be transmitted for full rendering.

Jan 24, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #6,237 of 6,828
After spending quite a bit of time with the Roon Preset (Linear 256k tap), I’m back to stock Mitchco.

Couple of notes. I no longer feel the stock Mitchco convolution is bass light. (Either with my V550 Pro or Pendant SE with a G73-R as an input tube. Pendant is more contingent on input tube here but with this combo it’s incredible and reaches low)

To my ears Mitch’s convolution has slightly more headroom so if you don’t adjust for this when a/b’ing the two Mitchco can sound soft comparatively. It is anything but. Volume matched the stage is wider, more dynamic and better micro details are present with Mitchco. Roon’s preset sounds compressed next to Mitch’s convolution which is open and resolving.

Mitch looks like he now has a storefront to purchase his LCD-5 convolution. (I just emailed him when I bought mine)

https://accuratesound.ca/product/audeze-lcd-5-filterset/

81449EA5-A7DB-4FE1-95AC-9F6C68CAD44E.jpeg

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #6,238 of 6,828
After spending quite a bit of time with the Roon Preset (Linear 256k tap), I’m back to stock Mitchco.

Couple of notes. I no longer feel the stock Mitchco convolution is bass light. (Either with my V550 Pro or Pendant SE with a G73-R as an input tube. Pendant is more contingent on input tube here but with this combo it’s incredible and reaches low)

To my ears Mitch’s convolution has slightly more headroom so if you don’t adjust for this when a/b’ing the two Mitchco can sound soft comparatively. It is anything but. Volume matched the stage is wider, more dynamic and better micro details are present with Mitchco. Roon’s preset sounds compressed next to Mitch’s convolution which is open and resolving.

Mitch looks like he now has a storefront to purchase his LCD-5 convolution. (I just emailed him when I bought mine)

https://accuratesound.ca/product/audeze-lcd-5-filterset/

Wow, back again. The list keeps growing. Surprised how many he has made now with others liking them too. I feel this should be the proper way to test other headphones with one tuner only, letting the other qualities like presentation, imaging, soundstage, comfort be the hearts deciding factor. All this mumbo jumbo on stock tuning is just a mess unless you are handcuffed by no eq religion.

Jan 24, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #6,239 of 6,828
Wow, back again. The list keeps growing. Surprised how many he has made now with others liking them too. I feel this should be the proper way to test other headphones with one tuner only, letting the other qualities like presentation, imaging, soundstage, comfort be the hearts deciding factor. All this mumbo jumbo on stock tuning is just a mess unless you are handcuffed by no eq religion.
I’ve come full circle. Plus my signal chain has changed dramatically since I first bought my LCD-5 and Mitch’s convolution (I didn’t have my Pendant SE until a couple of months ago and the G73-R is a recent addition which significantly closes the gap between my V550 Pro & Pendant SE amp with regards to performance with the LCD-5. Also didn’t have my Holo May KTE when I first bought Mitch’s convolution)

As far as the EQ agnostics there is no sense wasting your breath

For everyone else the Roon preset is actually quite good, and I would recommend it to those who are new to EQ or put off by the thought of it. It’s a simple, straightforward way to EQ the LCD-5 that will sound agreeable to most and not as daunting as tweaking the entire FR to your liking with PEQ if you have little to no experience doing that.

Mitch’s convolution smokes it though on technicalities. It really allows the LCD-5 to reach its full potential and is worth the $200 (it’s a bargain IMO actually)

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #6,240 of 6,828
I’m jw if someone in here can explain how the Mitch convolution filter is better than just eq’ing ourselves? I’m just wondering if it’s worth me trying it like what it does to the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back