Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Jan 1, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #6,197 of 6,828
I know EQ has been discussed on this thread I’m looking to play around a little, I’m not too knowledgeable but am willing to at least try. Can Anyone offer some of there favorite setting and or different filters I have the next few days off and want to get some quality listening time in

Jan 1, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #6,198 of 6,828
I know EQ has been discussed on this thread I’m looking to play around a little, I’m not too knowledgeable but am willing to at least try. Can Anyone offer some of there favorite setting and or different filters I have the next few days off and want to get some quality listening time in
Roon Presets are nice (I prefer the linear 256k tap flavor), Mitch Barnett’s FIR convolution is great as well if you are willing to invest $200. If you are looking to try a PEQ rather than a convolution I would start with Resolve’s latest and tailor to taste

Jan 1, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #6,199 of 6,828
I’m receiving some lcd 5s soon and based on what ppl say I’m thinking I may need to eq. What would the best way be for me to do so? My laptop doesn’t work that good so I usually use tidal on my iPad. I’d get roon if that’s the way to go. Any help is appreciated.

Jan 1, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #6,200 of 6,828
Roon Presets are nice (I prefer the linear 256k tap flavor), Mitch Barnett’s FIR convolution is great as well if you are willing to invest $200. If you are looking to try a PEQ rather than a convolution I would start with Resolve’s latest and tailor to taste
Mitch barnetts product is outstanding and worth the cost..I have it with other HP's but assume it is great with LCD-5

Jan 1, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #6,201 of 6,828
I’m receiving some lcd 5s soon and based on what ppl say I’m thinking I may need to eq. What would the best way be for me to do so? My laptop doesn’t work that good so I usually use tidal on my iPad. I’d get roon if that’s the way to go. Any help is appreciated.
Roon is nice in that you can use Audeze presets in their DSP chain. These EQ can be downloaded as convolution filter files (at different sample rates) from the following link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-dsp-presets-now-available-in-roon.858730/page-8#post-16996246. On Windows, these can be introduced system-wide through Equalizer APO. There are also parametric EQ profile that can be found throughout this thread.

However, I would encourage you to listen to LCD-5 stock for a bit to allow your ears to get familiar with the signature. Play around with different rod position and headband placement/headphone tilt as these will change the comfort and sound due to different ear positioning and clamp pressure/distance to the driver.

If you are not completely satisfied with or wanting to optimize the signature after some time, that is when EQ should come into play.

Jan 1, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #6,202 of 6,828
Roon is nice in that you can use Audeze presets in their DSP chain. These EQ can be downloaded as convolution filter files (at different sample rates) from the following link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-dsp-presets-now-available-in-roon.858730/page-8#post-16996246. On Windows, these can be introduced system-wide through Equalizer APO. There are also parametric EQ profile that can be found throughout this thread.

However, I would encourage you to listen to LCD-5 stock for a bit to allow your ears to get familiar with the signature. Play around with different rod position and headband placement/headphone tilt as these will change the comfort and sound due to different ear positioning and clamp pressure/distance to the driver.

If you are not completely satisfied with or wanting to optimize the signature after some time, that is when EQ should come into play.
Thanks I do plan on doing that for a bit I don’t want to eq but I just wanna be prepared. Just seems fairly complicated

Jan 1, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #6,203 of 6,828

Congrats on the purchase! What I did was get Roon to start out. Try the audeze present and convolution filter, as well as Mitch's if you don’t mind spending another $200. Also look into oratory’s preset. You may be able to get an FR graph from Audeze too. They have some B&K measurements on their earlier units. Not sure if they are using the B&K as often. If they are though, there will likely be a harman equivalent for the B&K soon enough. I will say though… to me, they don’t need EQ

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #6,204 of 6,828
Congrats on the purchase! What I did was get Roon to start out. Try the audeze present and convolution filter, as well as Mitch's if you don’t mind spending another $200. Also look into oratory’s preset. You may be able to get an FR graph from Audeze too. They have some B&K measurements on their earlier units. Not sure if they are using the B&K as often. If they are though, there will likely be a harman equivalent for the B&K soon enough.
Thank you I appreciate the advice

Jan 3, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #6,205 of 6,828
If you use ROON, the filters are now included in the Audeze presets.

Like all new headphones, listen for at least a week without any filters using your various sources. Let your brain and your headphones burn into the sound. I try not to read too much on a new headphone before I buy them these days so not to cloud my audition or experiences. When I auditioned the LCD-5 I don't think many reviews were out yet. I even went into the HE-1 audition knowing very little other than the promo material and deliberately didn't look up the price nor online reviews. It allowed me to critically think about them without bias or other perceptions. It may too late for you and the Audeze LCD-5.

Yes, they're mid forward. Some people like it. Some people EQ it flat. They are a fun headphone and take EQ very well.

Listening to the Top Gun maverick soundtrack directly out of the Hugo2 and I am a pretty happy camper.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #6,206 of 6,828
If you use ROON, the filters are now included in the Audeze presets.

Like all new headphones, listen for at least a week without any filters using your various sources. Let your brain and your headphones burn into the sound. I try not to read too much on a new headphone before I buy them these days so not to cloud my audition or experiences. When I auditioned the LCD-5 I don't think many reviews were out yet. I even went into the HE-1 audition knowing very little other than the promo material and deliberately didn't look up the price nor online reviews. It allowed me to critically think about them without bias or other perceptions. It may too late for you and the Audeze LCD-5.

Yes, they're mid forward. Some people like it. Some people EQ it flat. They are a fun headphone and take EQ very well.

Listening to the Top Gun maverick soundtrack directly out of the Hugo2 and I am a pretty happy camper.
I like my headphones a bit forward and I like upper mids to be present too. Only thing has me concerned is treble.

Jan 3, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #6,207 of 6,828
I like my headphones a bit forward and I like upper mids to be present too. Only thing has me concerned is treble.
Most people hear the treble as being a bit warm. I EQ mine about +3db after 6khz.

Jan 3, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #6,209 of 6,828
I see you have the zmf vc how does that compare to lcd 5? I had one last year.
They were great as a closed back, but no where near as detailed or open. Stringed instruments sounded great on them. I sold them a while ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back