Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Jan 24, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #6,241 of 6,828
I’m jw if someone in here can explain how the Mitch convolution filter is better than just eq’ing ourselves? I’m just wondering if it’s worth me trying it like what it does to the sound?
Here you go

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/audeze-lcd-4-vs-lcd-5-yin-and-yang-r1105/

You can purchase it below and there is some additional info but 1st link is the original post detailing everything about the convolution, his thought process behind it, why it’s better than a traditional PEQ etc

https://accuratesound.ca/product/audeze-lcd-5-filterset/

Jan 24, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #6,242 of 6,828
So I just joined the LCD5 ranks, was able to get a set for a discount from an AD due to it being a customer return. Question though, it came with the Audeze standard cable, this one:

StandardBraidedAccessoryCable2_2_1_2000x.jpg

The prior buyer probably pulled a fast one on the AD and swapped the cable out before returning the headphones. Or, maybe the store did. (I'm not really complaining for the price paid.)

But question: has anyone here done any tests on any audio differences with this cable and Audeze's 'premium' one on the LCD5?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #6,243 of 6,828
So I just joined the LCD5 ranks, was able to get a set for a discount from an AD due to it being a customer return. Question though, it came with the Audeze standard cable, this one:

The prior buyer probably pulled a fast one on the AD and swapped the cable out before returning the headphones. Or, maybe the store did. (I'm not really complaining for the price paid.)

But question: has anyone here done any tests on any audio differences with this cable and Audeze's 'premium' one on the LCD5?
The premium is a better cable. That looks like the standard cable that comes with the LCD-X for example. The dealer should swap it out for you, if not call Audeze and they certainly will. Either way you’ll want to get yourself a decent upgrade cable in due time

And congrats on the purchase!

Jan 24, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #6,244 of 6,828
I’m jw if someone in here can explain how the Mitch convolution filter is better than just eq’ing ourselves? I’m just wondering if it’s worth me trying it like what it does to the sound?
There are two types of digital EQ, FIR and IIR.

Most digital EQ you see day to day used IIR since it's less computationally expensive, but it has the draw back of also altering the phase response of device you are EQing. In most cases, as long as you don't use high Qs all over the place, it's harmless. But in some instances, the sound stage can be altered significantly by the IIR EQ.

FIR can modify the amplitude as well as the phase response, but at the expense of computational power (especially at lower frequencies).

This is just an over simplification, if you want to know more just Google FIR vs IIR.

Jan 25, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #6,245 of 6,828
Do you'll use a headphone stand with the LCD-5? Are you worried about it stretching out the leather support band?

Jan 25, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #6,246 of 6,828
Do you'll use a headphone stand with the LCD-5? Are you worried about it stretching out the leather support band?
I use a Woo Audio HPS-T for my LCD-5 and Verite Open (specifically because it does not stretch out their headbands)

Jan 25, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #6,247 of 6,828
I use a Woo Audio HPS-T for my LCD-5 and Verite Open (specifically because it does not stretch out their headbands)

Any headphone stand will stretch it out over time it seems because the weight of the headphone is being in part supported by the leather band. Albeit it's not a heavy headphone, but still.

Jan 25, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #6,248 of 6,828
Jan 25, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #6,249 of 6,828
Jan 25, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #6,250 of 6,828
Right. They say there clearly that you will wear the strap unless you place the headphones on the stand between the strap and the headband.
It’s a recommendation straight from Audeze based on the shape of the stand to minimize stretching. It’s the best option available. Sure they don’t say it won’t stretch it at all (because gravity) but if you’re so worried about it then “you can tuck the leather part of the headband below the support and rest the headphones directly on the metal.”

I have not noticed any significant stretching to either of my headphones and I place them directly on the leather. Others use the same stand for the same reason.

Jan 26, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #6,251 of 6,828
Mine hasn't stretched one bit, and I bought it day one. Even if it did, the headphone strap system isn't going to cause hot spots like the previous head band system did.

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #6,253 of 6,828
Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #6,254 of 6,828

Users who are viewing this thread

Back