Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
May 26, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #5,342 of 6,820
Ok thanks, so it means if i used to like the LCD 4 doesn't mean i will like the 5...
They will sound like they are made by different companies. Try before you buy.

May 26, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #5,343 of 6,820
Use the Browse function on the pipeline matrix to choose the .wav file (384k L CH1 & 384k R CH2) then repeat for the attached .txt file (you'll need to save the .txt file to your computer and navigate to it same as the .wav) as long as you have overlap-add enabled it should look something like this. (notice the comma in between the two files, it will load the FIR convolution first then the low shelf PEQ)

Be sure to save the preset as well before you apply (I also save a blank profile named "default" that you can then switch on the fly using HQPlayer Client if you just want to do some testing). You can plot both channels FR as well to make sure you have everything loaded correctly.

You can add any additional PEQ to the supplied .txt file using the same format per filter or adjust the Low Shelf settings right in the .txt file if that is all you plan on adding to the convolution. Just be sure to reboot HQPlayer after saving changes to the .txt file and the pipeline will load with the settings from the modified .txt file since it is already pointed to it. PK = Peak, LS = Low Shelf etc

attached .txt file has your preferred settings for low shelf PEQ you mentioned earlier in the thread along with the offsetting headroom adjustment

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 9.45.40 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-25 at 9.45.59 PM.png
I am feeling absolutely--120%--illiterate, right about now, after seeing all these charts and graphs! I willingly confess, although I'm also using Mitch's convolution preset in Roon--but only in Roon, and I can hear the difference, which I am enjoying as well. "The [ear] has its reasons which reason knows nothing of..." I gotta say "Amen" to that:):):)

May 27, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #5,344 of 6,820
I am feeling absolutely--120%--illiterate, right about now, after seeing all these charts and graphs! I willingly confess, although I'm also using Mitch's convolution preset in Roon--but only in Roon, and I can hear the difference, which I am enjoying as well. "The [ear] has its reasons which reason knows nothing of..." I gotta say "Amen" to that:):):)

Saw you also have Susvara in your collection, curious how would you compare Susvara vs LCD-5 + Mitch's EQ?

May 27, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #5,345 of 6,820
Finally pull the trigger for the Mitch's convolution EQ, after 2 days of listening, I have to admit that is the best EQ I have ever heard for LCD-5, I have tried EQs from Resolve, Chrono, crinacle and oratory1990. All have improvements, but I found myself always have to change between EQs for different genre of music. oratory1990's was the most neutral one before I got Mitch's filter, it balanced the midrange and didn't over do the treble, the treble is smooth but a little muted to my ear compare to Resolve's one which I feel the treble is a little harsh. When I switch to Mitch's EQ, I found it's also very neutral, the treble is also smooth but without any muted feeling, most importantly the stage is more 3D than oratory1990's EQ, has more depth to it.
$200 is quite expensive for an EQ compare to other free ones... but when I think any upgrade cable can easily exceed this price, and may have much less improvement to the sound, I feel a little better :)

May 27, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #5,346 of 6,820
Saw you also have Susvara in your collection, curious how would you compare Susvara vs LCD-5 + Mitch's EQ?
I shall have to listen to the Susvara more carefully now, in order to do a fair comparison. Before Mitch's EQ, I favored the Susvara hands down, because the mid-forwardness of the LCD-5 tended to border on shoutiness and get fatiguing on some tracks for that very reason. Mitch's filter set has removed that shoutiness and restored a sense of balance to the LCD-5, which has made it a lot more alluring to my ears. I've been using this filter set for slightly less than a week now, so I have a lot more listening to do in order to become more accustomed to the new sonic niceties and subtleties of LCD-5 + Mitch's performance enhancements. It is only then that an A/B comparison of this convolved pairing and the Susvara would be fair, I think.

One possibly complicating factor is that Mitch is also going to create a Susvara filter-set in about a month from now, and that will certainly introduce another set of data-points into the puzzle of the comparison. Hopefully I'll be good for it when the time comes.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #5,347 of 6,820
I shall have to listen to the Susvara more carefully now, in order to do a fair comparison. Before Mitch's EQ, I favored the Susvara hands down, because the mid-forwardness of the LCD-5 tended to border on shoutiness and get fatiguing on some tracks for that very reason. Mitch's filter set has removed that shoutiness and restored a sense of balance to the LCD-5, which has made it a lot more alluring to my ears. I've been using this filter set for slightly less than a week now, so I have a lot more listening to do in order to become more accustomed to the new sonic niceties and subtleties of LCD-5 + Mitch's performance. enhancements. It is only then that an A/B comparison of this convolved pairing and the Susvara would be fair, I think.

One possibly complicating factor is that Mitch is also going to create a Susvara filter-set in about a month from now., and that will certainly introduce another set of data-points into the puzzle of the comparison. Hopefully I'll be good for it when the time comes.
Thank you for the answer, I heard Susvara is one of the best tuned headphones, really curious how Mitch can improve it with his magic

May 27, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #5,348 of 6,820
Susvara is a bit more mellow on each note. Not soft, but softer. LCD-5 has a more defined edge, has more energy in everything it does as a result.

I'd give the nod to Susvara on acoustic and classical, and LCD5 everything else. Why I sold my Susvara.

May 27, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #5,349 of 6,820
Thank you for the answer, I heard Susvara is one of the best tuned headphones, really curious how Mitch can improve it with his magic
I have been wondering about this very question myself, and entertaining some reservations on account of the Susvara's "magic" tuning, even though many Susvara owners have been asking for a convolution filter set, according to Mitch. That does not surprise me either, given the general unpredictability and fickleness of subjective listening preferences. Personally, I have decided to anticipate Mitch's Susvara convolution filter-set with an open mind in a spirit of "never say never," until I hear the results for myself. If he is able to improve upon the "nearly perfect" default tuning, even if in certain partial ways, that would be nice. If not, them the default Susvara tuning would still have plenty to offer.

May 27, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #5,350 of 6,820
May 27, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #5,351 of 6,820
Ok thanks, so it means if i used to like the LCD 4 doesn't mean i will like the 5...
The LCD4 has a strong dip in the upper midrange and then a peak in the treble, where the LCD5 is the opposite. I was personally fine with the dip in the midrange on the LCD4, but the quick rise to a peak in the treble didn't sit well with my ears. The LCD5 is much more mid centric with what, to my ears, is a neutral treble. The 4 and 5 are both very dynamic, but that's where the similarities end. I personally prefer the clarity, speed, and more neutral treble of the LCD5.

May 27, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #5,352 of 6,820
Want to know if anyone else with LCD-5's has experienced this? Purchased these used very recently and on first inspection noticed this imperfection on the diaphragm. There doesn't seem to be anything majorly wrong with them sonically. I want to know if any others have experienced similar defects on the driver or whether this is something that would need to be repaired immediately (Would either need to initiate a return immediately with the seller or attempt a Warranty repair with Audeze in the UK).

JfxWyK3.jpg

May 27, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #5,353 of 6,820
Want to know if anyone else with LCD-5's has experienced this? Purchased these used very recently and on first inspection noticed this imperfection on the diaphragm. There doesn't seem to be anything majorly wrong with them sonically. I want to know if any others have experienced similar defects on the driver or whether this is something that would need to be repaired immediately (Would either need to initiate a return immediately with the seller or attempt a Warranty repair with Audeze in the UK).

JfxWyK3.jpg
Contact Audeze. It could be nothing, but my guess is that it got damaged in shipping.

May 27, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #5,354 of 6,820

JfxWyK3.jpg
Traces on my unit were perfectly smooth and shiny.

May 27, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #5,355 of 6,820
Contact Audeze. It could be nothing, but my guess is that it got damaged in shipping.
Yeah, i've contacted them regarding this and if they can be serviced in the UK. I contacted them last year when my LCD-4's were going out of warranty and they said they would have to be shipped to the US due to them being "too complicated" despite UK distributors repairing other Audeze headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back