Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
May 25, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #5,326 of 6,820
May 25, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #5,327 of 6,820
May 25, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #5,328 of 6,820
Not sure if you figured this out yet but if you want to stack PEQ on top of the convolution, disable the convolution engine entirely, do everything through the matrix pipeline.

Choose L mono .wav file for channel 1
Choose R mono .wav file for channel 2

Use overlap-add, then choose your PEQ .txt file for your low shelf for both channels (you can add your preamp adjustment in the .txt file as well) There should be a comma between the two files if you did this correctly.

Save your profile, then hit ok. Reboot HQP
Wait, you're saying it should read as:

Audeze_LCD-5_neutral384_mono_Left.wav,iir:type=lshelf;f=105;g=4;s=0.71,-4

?

May 25, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #5,329 of 6,820
My Guess is it will be the equivalent to an LCD-MX5, but I bet they call it something else. It will be a cheaper LCD-5 but with the thicker membrane diaphragm found in the LCD-X and MX4.
What will be the sonic trade off there? Just not quite as much detail/speed?

May 25, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #5,331 of 6,820
Wait, you're saying it should read as:

Audeze_LCD-5_neutral384_mono_Left.wav,iir:type=lshelf;f=105;g=4;s=0.71,-4

?
Use the Browse function on the pipeline matrix to choose the .wav file (384k L CH1 & 384k R CH2) then repeat for the attached .txt file (you'll need to save the .txt file to your computer and navigate to it same as the .wav) as long as you have overlap-add enabled it should look something like this. (notice the comma in between the two files, it will load the FIR convolution first then the low shelf PEQ)

Be sure to save the preset as well before you apply (I also save a blank profile named "default" that you can then switch on the fly using HQPlayer Client if you just want to do some testing). You can plot both channels FR as well to make sure you have everything loaded correctly.

You can add any additional PEQ to the supplied .txt file using the same format per filter or adjust the Low Shelf settings right in the .txt file if that is all you plan on adding to the convolution. Just be sure to reboot HQPlayer after saving changes to the .txt file and the pipeline will load with the settings from the modified .txt file since it is already pointed to it. PK = Peak, LS = Low Shelf etc

attached .txt file has your preferred settings for low shelf PEQ you mentioned earlier in the thread along with the offsetting headroom adjustment

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 9.45.40 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-25 at 9.45.59 PM.png

Attachments

• Audeze LCD-5 ParametricEQ_LS.txt
    60 bytes · Views: 0
May 26, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #5,333 of 6,820
Use the Browse function on the pipeline matrix to choose the .wav file (384k L CH1 & 384k R CH2) then repeat for the attached .txt file (you'll need to save the .txt file to your computer and navigate to it same as the .wav) as long as you have overlap-add enabled it should look something like this. (notice the comma in between the two files, it will load the FIR convolution first then the low shelf PEQ)

Be sure to save the preset as well before you apply (I also save a blank profile named "default" that you can then switch on the fly using HQPlayer Client if you just want to do some testing). You can plot both channels FR as well to make sure you have everything loaded correctly.

You can add any additional PEQ to the supplied .txt file using the same format per filter or adjust the Low Shelf settings right in the .txt file if that is all you plan on adding to the convolution. Just be sure to reboot HQPlayer after saving changes to the .txt file and the pipeline will load with the settings from the modified .txt file since it is already pointed to it. PK = Peak, LS = Low Shelf etc

attached .txt file has your preferred settings for low shelf PEQ you mentioned earlier in the thread along with the offsetting headroom adjustment

Thank you. I think I got it now. Now for some :L3000:

May 26, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #5,334 of 6,820
Yeah, carbon fiber does not deform in any meaningful way. That is one reason why it's so special. If you stretch it too far, it will break and scatter very irritating fibers.
Got to be careful. Got corneal abrasion. Nothing major. Got to put some drops for a few days. Be careful trying to stretch out band lol. :) :)

May 26, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #5,335 of 6,820
Got to be careful. Got corneal abrasion. Nothing major. Got to put some drops for a few days. Be careful trying to stretch out band lol. :) :)
So now we have to worry about being deaf AND blind from this hobby? 🤣

May 26, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #5,338 of 6,820
What will be the sonic trade off there? Just not quite as much detail/speed?

This is all WILD SPECULATION here, but I imagine pairing the X diaphragm with the 5's magnet array would result in a headphone that is more organic, slower, less resolving, more natural sounding in comparison to the LCD-5, and more mids-forward, more technically able than the X. Something, ultimately, that falls in between the '21 LCD-X and the LCD-5. I doubt there is any value to my guesses here, even if they should later prove correct, but I'm hoping this will spur some interest in the topic at least.

May 26, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #5,339 of 6,820
So now we have to worry about being deaf AND blind from this hobby? 🤣
No, just dumb.
Did anyone ever compared the LCD 5 with the LCD 4 100ohm (the first version replaced by the 200ohm).

Thanks.
Might be hard since so many of them were freely upgraded by Audeze, or broke.

May 26, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #5,340 of 6,820
Did anyone ever compared the LCD 5 with the LCD 4 100ohm (the first version replaced by the 200ohm).

Thanks.
It probably doesn't matter much whether it's the 100 or 200 ohm LCD-4, the 4 and the 5 sound very, very different. Differences between the two LCD-4 models won't really matter, when comparing to the 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back