Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Nov 8, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #2,611 of 6,820
Does LCD 5 have any bass that is for edm or hip hop. From the LCD 4 I and another head fi member found it light. No grunt or thickness to bass impact.
My findings were the same as you and your friend’s, even after EQ.

Nov 8, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #2,612 of 6,820
My findings were the same as you and your friend’s, even after EQ
I agree with @Bonddam not just for those genres but overall. I do disagree with you about the impact of EQ. EQ has turned the LCD-5 into a worthy successor to the LCD-4 for me.

Nov 8, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #2,613 of 6,820
Does anyone have a tiny issue with the tonality of the LCD5?

I love everything about the sound but it sound a hair unnatural to me as if I am listening through an artificial layer and I'm actually thinking about returning them because of it. Does my chain have anything to do with it or does anyone agree? I am a singer/drummer so I am highly sensitive to tonality.

For instance, watching movies and shows through them sounds like I am listening through a stock tv speaker in a sense.

Topping d70s > Burson Soloist 3X

Coming from a few variants of HifiMan headphones which do not have this problem on my current chain.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #2,614 of 6,820

I love everything about the sound but it sound a hair unnatural to me as if I am listening through an artificial layer and I'm actually thinking about returning them because of it. Does my chain have anything to do with it or does anyone agree? I am a singer/drummer so I am highly sensitive to tonality.

Coming from a few variants of HifiMan headphones which do not have this problem on my current chain.

For how long you have them? They sounds a bit unnatural at first imo after a couple days the headphones or your brain will adapt to the sound.
I was using the Topping D90 at first but I found the Denafrips Ares 2 a better match with a more smooth sound and wider soundstage.

Nov 8, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #2,615 of 6,820
I've been using my Norne Silvergarde S4 8-wire with the LCD-5, and so far it is rocking really hard and "sweet" with it, as it does with practically every can. They're really very impressive with it. The S4 8-wire is what I normally use with the Susvara, so it is only doing temporary duties with the LCD-5 (with a pair of Hifiman 3.5mm ==>> Audeze Mini XLR hypershort adapters).

The only issue is that I have not yet used the LCD-5 with the Stock cable, so I can't comment on how they compare with the S4 8-wire yet. (Confession alert!!) My longstanding and "time-honored" prejudice against all stock cables is in play here, sadly--but maybe unfairly so. I promise to "unbox" the LCD-5's stock cable and test it with the 5 in order to see how it stacks up against the S4 8-wire, sometime soon, when the "burn-in" spell is over.

Speaking of prejudices, the real aftermarket cable I have ordered for the LCD-5 is one of the 17.7 awg Norne Drausk cables which arrives tomorrow. I got this Drausk because of the apparent all-copper cable recommendation suggested by Audeze's own choice of an all-copper stock cable, so that is another point of comparison waiting to happen. Will keep you posted as to how the Drausk too stacks up.
Awesome keep me posted! My set of LCD-5's will be here soon. I'm already thinking aftermarket cable without even giving the stock cable a chance. So I have some pre-bias notions myself. Maybe unfairly so. I'll give the LCD-5's a go with the stock cable before making a decision. That doesn't stop me from being curious :)

Nov 8, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #2,616 of 6,820
For how long you have them? They sounds a bit unnatural at first imo after a couple days the headphones or your brain will adapt to the sound.
I was using the Topping D90 at first but I found the Denafrips Ares 2 a better match with a more smooth sound and wider soundstage.
26 Days. My brain has never adapted. It takes awhile of listening to adapt a bit but still never sounds right.

Nov 8, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #2,617 of 6,820
Ooh well yeah 26 days should be enough.

Nov 8, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #2,618 of 6,820
26 Days. My brain has never adapted. It takes awhile of listening to adapt a bit but still never sounds right.
If you have some aftermarket cables for another pair of headphones, you might want to get an adapter and try them with the LCD-5s. I use the JPS Superconductor with my LCD-4s and it made a nice improvement.

Also, silver cables tend to bring out more detail and copper brings warmth.

Nov 8, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #2,619 of 6,820
So far, is everyone who has their LCD-5's sticking with the stock cable? Has anyone tried using a silver cable with their LCD-5's or is copper the way to go?
I am using Kimber's AXIOS Hybrid, which has both Silver & Copper, and it is terrific with my LCD-5.

Nov 8, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #2,620 of 6,820
I'm debating if to keep my order or swap to something else from Headphones.com. I'm stuck from cancelling my order as I'm paying through Affirm. Cancel order cost 5%. I can get different gear with no fees.

Does LCD 5 have any bass that is for edm or hip hop. From the LCD 4 I and another head fi member found it light. No grunt or thickness to bass impact.

He found the 4z to have grunt so Audeze put the 4z driver into 4 chassis and boy the bass and easy to drive.

My findings were the same as you and your friend’s, even after EQ.
I have been hesitating to comment because I have not listened to any hip hop or EDM tracks with these cans yet. I am also sort of aware of how variable the notion of "enough bass" might be for any track depending on the listeners tastes. With those caveats firmly in place, I was just listening to the track titled "Diamond Cut Diamond" on the album below, and I found the bass to be tantalizing both in texture, quantity, and slam, but "light" is not a word I shall apply here at all. I also find this info to be relevant, at least as one more data point to consider, because I used to own the LCD-4, and was very fond of it, but I have to say that listening to the bass on "Diamond cut Diamond" with the LCD-5, I do not miss the LCD-4 at all. In fact I have not missed it since the trade-in on account of its bass (although I do miss it on account of its looks, sometimes).

91QrWlL2NUL._SS500_.jpg

Of course, in such cases, a YMMV clause might be useful to keep in mind:):):)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #2,622 of 6,820

For instance, watching movies and shows through them sounds like I am listening through a stock tv speaker in a sense.

You will want to pursue a Valkyria or SGL if you're looking for the utmost echelon in tonality and the 'realness' factor.
Tube amps can help add a wetness that you may find more engrossing. The ever-present give/take.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #2,623 of 6,820
I am using Kimber's AXIOS Hybrid, which has both Silver & Copper, and it is terrific with my LCD-5.
I have an AXIOS Cu for my Z1R’s. Love this cable. I bet the AXIOS silver & copper sounds amazing!

Nov 9, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #2,624 of 6,820
I've been using my Norne Silvergarde S4 8-wire with the LCD-5, and so far it is rocking really hard and "sweet" with it, as it does with practically every can. They're really very impressive with it. The S4 8-wire is what I normally use with the Susvara, so it is only doing temporary duties with the LCD-5 (with a pair of Hifiman 3.5mm ==>> Audeze Mini XLR hypershort adapters).

The only issue is that I have not yet used the LCD-5 with the Stock cable, so I can't comment on how they compare with the S4 8-wire yet. (Confession alert!!) My longstanding and "time-honored" prejudice against all stock cables is in play here, sadly--but maybe unfairly so. I promise to "unbox" the LCD-5's stock cable and test it with the 5 in order to see how it stacks up against the S4 8-wire, sometime soon, when the "burn-in" spell is over.

Speaking of prejudices, the real aftermarket cable I have ordered for the LCD-5 is one of the 17.7 awg Norne Drausk cables which arrives tomorrow. I got this Drausk because of the apparent all-copper cable recommendation suggested by Audeze's own choice of an all-copper stock cable, so that is another point of comparison waiting to happen. Will keep you posted as to how the Drausk too stacks up.
I'd love to hear about your Silvergarde S4 8-wire vs Drausk impressions, after you get them.
I have been using a Norne Silvergarde and a Norne Hybrid Drausk but grabbed a ZMF Copper today to try. Will report back tomorrow!
Do you have a Hybrid Drausk prototype or did you mistske the pure copper cable for a hybrid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back