Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Nov 8, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #2,581 of 6,787
Can someone please confirm whether the LCD5 and LCD4 cables are the same? Audeze told me the only difference between these cables was the appearance.

However the Headfonia review states that the LCD4 is a 20AWG silver-plated single-crystal OCC copper cable. Whereas the cable that comes with the LCD5 is a new directional OCC high-purity copper cable.

Audeze is currently selling both cables on the same product page which if true is a bit confusing and they make no mention of any difference.
Why don’t you just email them and ask?

Nov 8, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #2,582 of 6,787
Can someone please confirm whether the LCD5 and LCD4 cables are the same? Audeze told me the only difference between these cables was the appearance.

However the Headfonia review states that the LCD4 is a 20AWG silver-plated single-crystal OCC copper cable. Whereas the cable that comes with the LCD5 is a new directional OCC high-purity copper cable.

Audeze is currently selling both cables on the same product page which if true is a bit confusing and they make no mention of any difference.
They are different cables - silver plated OCC copper (LCD4) vs directional OCC copper (LCD5)

Nov 8, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #2,583 of 6,787
They are different cables - silver plated OCC copper (LCD4) vs directional OCC copper (LCD5)
spot on - and that was also confirmed by audeze on one of these lcd5 threads.

@Kozwoz

and when ordering the lcd5, either directly or via an authorised dealer, you can ask for a 4 pin balanced cable instead of the 6.3mm

Nov 8, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #2,584 of 6,787
Ok but you can buy either cable here -
https://www.audeze.com/collections/...-premium-braided-cable?variant=39510805971022

Both the LCD 4 and 5 cable have the same description.

I did email Audeze and they said “the LCD-4 and 5 cable are going to perform the same, as the only appreciable difference between them is the coloration. If you're interested in purchasing those cables, you can find them on our accessories page here” - the link I provided.

So very confused...

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #2,585 of 6,787
Hey there, you may have read my post as I use CH700S on Susvara. Just out of courtesy, the termination is 2.5mm therefore only compatible with the older plug Susvara. Don’t want you to waste your time getting something that does not fit.

Cheers!

Also, did some listening today with my LCD5 and what a technical performer it is.
Thanks for the heads up! Yes I have the older version with 2.5mm connection.

I've had my Susvaras for a while now and despite how much I like them, I was very ready for something else worthy. I had the Abyss and tried hard to crash their party for over a year, but unfortunately I was not invited. I think the LCD5s are what I was looking for. Only about 40 hrs in, they are opening up and slamming much harder than the Susvaras. The Susvaras are refined and polite in comparison with larger sound stage to my ears but that might change.

Nov 8, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #2,586 of 6,787
Aren't the new premium Audeze cables also 20AWG spc? Black and copper color I think. I tried to look for an after market cable but couldn't find anything close to 20AWG. Also, something about buying cables on ebay just doesn't seem like the right thing to do... I have an audeze premium balanced version priced 599 coming in soon to compare.

Nov 8, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #2,588 of 6,787
Is the LCD5 cable silver plated copper too like the LCD4 cable? Or is it copper only? This is what I don’t understand.
The pictures show the copper strands for the LCD-5 cable, so it's clearly not silver plated and I recall them talking about copper being a better match for the LCD-5 versus silver plated copper. It can be tricky getting cable specs from any manufacturer, but the LCD-5 product page mentions the cable is copper. No AWG listed though.

If you are looking for a custom cable, I can't recommend Norne Audio enough. Trevor has a couple of options around 20awg, and more affordable too. Just need some patience.

Nov 8, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #2,589 of 6,787
I think the LCD5s are shipped with what they call premium SE 1/4" plug cable that is SPC. They have cables on their accessory page that would fit LCD 2-5 with 4 pin mini XLR, not specific for any particular model. There is regular cable for $150 and premium for $600. Options are for SE or balanced, as well as black/white or black/copper for color.

https://www.audeze.com/collections/...-premium-braided-cable?variant=39510804725838

Nov 8, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #2,590 of 6,787
Is the LCD5 cable silver plated copper too like the LCD4 cable? Or is it copper only? This is what I don’t understand.
The LCD-5 cable is copper only. The Audeze reps on the thread were saying the engineers felt that copper was a better pairing with the LCD-5 than silver-plated copper. I have have a variety of both types of wire so hope to test that theory...when my LCD-5 finally arrive.
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #2,591 of 6,787
I think the LCD5s are shipped with what they call premium SE 1/4" plug cable that is SPC. They have cables on their accessory page that would fit LCD 2-5 with 4 pin mini XLR, not specific for any particular model. There is regular cable for $150 and premium for $600. Options are for SE or balanced, as well as black/white or black/copper for color.

https://www.audeze.com/collections/...-premium-braided-cable?variant=39510804725838
You can request a 4-pin XLR cable as a replacement (although most of the reports I hear are the customers that made the request have received both...but no guarantees).
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Nov 8, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #2,592 of 6,787
Ok but you can buy either cable here -
https://www.audeze.com/collections/...-premium-braided-cable?variant=39510805971022

Both the LCD 4 and 5 cable have the same description.

I did email Audeze and they said “the LCD-4 and 5 cable are going to perform the same, as the only appreciable difference between them is the coloration. If you're interested in purchasing those cables, you can find them on our accessories page here” - the link I provided.

So very confused...
The lcd 5 cable description:
“ directional OCC high-purity copper strands”

The lcd 4 cable description:
(The premium audeze lcd cable as per pictures shown)
“ silver-plated single-crystal OCC copper”
https://www.audeze.com/collections/accessories/products/lcd-4-premium-braided-cable

Nov 8, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #2,593 of 6,787
I’m wondering: are these ranked in order of surround quality?

What is it that makes the Sennheiser hardware so stifling?

When you say Creative’s SXFI is the most convincing, is this out of the hardware, or all?

Is the SXFI “processing” affecting the soundtrack’s timbre or spatially?

I got the GSX6, but the side and rear surround didn’t do it for me. I’m trying my best to avoid the Smyth 😆
1. No. YMMV on which sounds best for you. I think in terms of retaining fidelity, SBX and Redscape to my ears do the least in terms of processed sound.

2. Sennheiser's amps with these DSPs, are fairly power limited. Also, unlike Creative, you can't pass SGX to other DAC/amps, without resorting to chaining another amp through the Senn devices' headphone jack (which makes me feel dirty).

3. SXFI's spatialization is just... different? At first I hated it, but then as my ears adjusted to it, I feel it brings a level of immersion and positional accuracy that I prefer over the others. But again, it's also super processed sounding, which will put some people off.

4. Just in reference to how everything sounds tonally off compared to no processing. It's a limitation with virtual surround DSPs in general. You will sacrifice tonal qualities for a superior level of immersion and positional accuracy.

5. GSX6? You mean the G6? The G6 uses SBX which as I mentioned previously sounds the least processed but in essence can make the rear cues less distinct than other DSPs.

Please go to my guide if you wanna discuss this at length, so we don't flood the LCD-5 thread with this, as it's off topic.

My guide is here on head-fi.

HERE.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #2,594 of 6,787
So I finally had a chance to hear the LCD5 and the CRBN. I went to the Capitol Audiofest this morning for an hour (going back again on Sunday when I can spend a lot more time). I wanted to sneak in before the crowds and got lucky the Audeze table was empty, they had 2 LCD5, LCDX, and CRBN. So I was able to listento each as long as I wanted and the 2 Audeze reps were super nice and when I told him I was coming back Sunday he told be to bring my LCD4 so I could do some A to B comparison which I plan to do. When I was leaving their both he tossed me a tee-shirt and said thanks for stopping by.

So I am more a home audiophile but appreciate quality headphones that sound close to high end speakers and although I now have a dedicated room with my audioequipment its nice late in the night to be able to use headphones. I am no expert reviewer, but I have owned LCD2, X, and my LCD4 so I am familiar with Audeze.

Everyone has different tastes so IMHO these are my observations:
Appearance - they are high quality like all Audeze headphones, but I think the LCD4s looks more expensive as the chrome and gloss finish on the carbon fiber have shiny bling to it
Weight - I am 6FT 220 with an 18 1/2 inch neck (former D1 strong safety) so you could add another 2 pounds to the LCD4 and I would not notice LOL! you can physically feel that the 5 is lighter but weight was never an issue for me
Fit - I have a medium sized head so I could feel a tad more clapping force but was comfortable and no issue for me
Sound - Subjective, but definitely more unveiled then the 4 and vocals (Diana krill) were very clear and cymbals shined a bit more but I was not overwhelmed to the point I felt I was hearing notes and sounds that I never heard before (also there was a good bit of background noise in the room), Bass is there but I think the 4 have better bass to as it has more weight to it, but the 5 had tight and fast bass.

CRBN - wow that was overwhelming, just really nice smooth sounding headphone and when you increased the volume it never got shouty just a louder smooth sound and the bass does kick a bit. I see why people love them. I wish the investment wasn't so expensive for the HP and power supply (and I have to much money in my home audio) but its worth the price from what I heard in 20 minutes:relaxed:

Audeze was using a Hugo II, but I went to another HP station that had the 5 playing through a RAAL PDA1 and i though it sounded better then the first pair I heard. Cant wait to go back and listen so more. From what I heard so far today, not sure I am ready to get rid on the 4 and having both would be ideal, cant wait for Sunday....:smile:
So I went back to the Capitol Audiofest on Sunday the last day and not a large crowd, I brought my LCD4s and did some A/B comparison between the two. Nobody waiting so I spent about 1 hour listening to both and I was able to plug in my iPhone and listen to my favorite tracks. The more I listened to the LCD5 the more I liked it, but the LCD4s were still great to listen too in comparison on the Chord II rig. Despite not having a large crowd around it was still noisy so it was hard for me to be 100% sure if I like them over the LCD4. I would say the biggest difference I heard was on a live track Sade Live "the sweetest taboo" the LCD5 was clearly better and provided the best live concert sound I ever heard on a pair of headphones the best way I can describe it is it portrayed the live sound of the audience and the music together as if you were there (I played that part of the track about 5 times to make sure I was hearing what I thought I was hearing) on the LCD4 the audience sound was noticeable at peak parts but was not audible and engaging at other times. So having said all that I ordered a pair of LCD5s and they will be arriving tomorrow (1-day shipping from an Audeze dealer). Cant wait to hear them in a quiet environment at home....

Thanks to everyone before me that posted reviews, I hope mine is helpful to someone too...

Nov 8, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #2,595 of 6,787
So far, is everyone who has their LCD-5's sticking with the stock cable? Has anyone tried using a silver cable with their LCD-5's or is copper the way to go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back