Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Oct 21, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #1,861 of 6,785
Honestly, I can wait. I'm just making conversation until my headphones arrive in 8 weeks to keep busy..

From one audio nut to another. No this headphone won't change your life. You'll like it but in another 6 months to a year at the most you'll be longing for the next hyped product. Maybe the Abyss TC Phi Beta Alpha which Headfi will claim has bass from another dimension and creamy liquid mids smoother than a baby's bottom.

Or maybe you're one of those rare headphone long termers who hold on to their flagships and enjoy them for years while ignoring the marketing buzz from all the newer flagships being released on Headfi. In that case you are a stronger man than I and much respect to you :D

I hope you get your cans soon mate. :beerchug:

Oct 21, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #1,862 of 6,785
Honestly, I can wait. I'm just making conversation until my headphones arrive in 8 weeks to keep busy..
Many of us share your pain.
I waited like 8 weeks on my Elite and it was tough.

Summit Fi audio is a niche within a niche.
Still incredible to see this many releases at all during pandemic.

Oct 21, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #1,864 of 6,785
Thanks again for your insight :)

There you have it guys. I don't know this man's name but I'm guessing he has engineering degrees in Acoustics/Audio engineering. He chooses a cable for ergonomics and not to magically fix or improve a headphone.

My humble request to headfiers considering $4000 cables for their LCD5. Spend the money on the Audeze CRBN as well instead and support a wonderful headphone manufacturer instead of the magic cable supplier who claims improvements based on no evidence of any kind whatsoever other than the marketing poetry on their website.

However if you have money to burn and don't care please go to Double Helix cables with your money at the ready.

Excerpt from their website:

Closing gaps. With two flagship headphones, where one is preferred to another, Prion4 will push the under-performing headphone ahead of the higher-performing headphone (assuming both headphones were using the same cable before Prion4 was added).

This is a fascinating claim. So all I need to do is add a Prion 4 to a ZMF Verite and it should outperform the LCD5 or Susvara with their lowly stock cables.
For all that is holy, this 100%. The least you can do is support the advancement of REAL technology and buy an amp / DAC or a different headphone, not a $4500 silver cable.

Oct 21, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #1,865 of 6,785
Haven't tried an LCD due to the weight but man this being only 420 grams is actually awesome, I wonder how my setup will treat it compared to my Susvara.

Oct 21, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #1,866 of 6,785
I must be one of the few people not bothered by the weight of the LCD-4. I actually find the weight feels solid and substantial and contributes to my enjoyment. Maybe I feel like I paid for something of substance. I find the TC (around same weight as 4) much more uncomfortable than the LCD-4 because it does not sit well on my head- kind of shifts, and I don't like the clamp as much (although I love the sound). The 4 stays put and feels solid- I like it- but I must say- I do not keep headphones on my head all day. An hour or so.

Oct 21, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #1,867 of 6,785
I must be one of the few people not bothered by the weight of the LCD-4. I actually find the weight feels solid and substantial and contributes to my enjoyment. Maybe I feel like I paid for something of substance. I find the TC (around same weight as 4) much more uncomfortable than the LCD-4 because it does not sit well on my head- kind of shifts, and I don't like the clamp as much (although I love the sound). The 4 stays put and feels solid- I like it- but I must say- I do not keep headphones on my head all day. An hour or so.
I do like the feel of heavy headphones its just I wear them for 6 to 8 hours so it gets taxing eventually. I definitely wanted to try the LCD-4 but it was a huge pain to get anything to audition where I live sadly, but hearing the bass response especially is something I personally have always wanted to try.

Oct 21, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #1,868 of 6,785
I kind of consider the 4 a miracle product. Usually more full bodied sound has less detail but the 4 had the fullest sound possible with world class detail.

I wonder if Audeze in a LCD-4.5 version could keep everything the same while just cutting that dip in the upper midrange by just a few decibels- even if it harms bass weight a touch.

Oct 21, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #1,870 of 6,785
That simply isn't a financial reality for most small/med sized companies.

People who don't want to wait are better off not being early adopters - delays are almost inevitable. Frankly, the level of entitlement on display by the posters who constantly complain about waiting a few weeks for a new $4,500 headphone is off-putting.

So you are stating that not being able to have advertised gear ready to ship, should be expected ?
That we should appreciate the opportunity to forward $4500 USD towards an "unknown" delivery date "preorder".
That its fine to take hundreds of pre-orders. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ yet have very few available to ship and say...."oooops".

I dont agree....
I think that you should have the product available, especially when you are asking $4500 USD for each one.

Kickstarter is when you take in all the money then make people wait for the delivery.

Does this sound familiar?

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #1,871 of 6,785
So you are stating that not being able to have advertised gear ready to ship, should be expected ?
That its fine to take hundreds of pre-orders and have very few available to ship and say...."oppps".

I dont agree.
I think that you should have the product available, especially when you are asking $4500 for each one.

Kickstarter is when you take in all the money then make people wait for the delivery.

I don't agree with the Kickstarter analogy - with Kickstarter, the payments are often earlier in the cycle and fund development of the product. In this case, the product (as far as we know) was already through the design process. Far less risk.

And yes, I'm saying that I fully expect to see advertisements of technical products prior to being ready for mass shipment. It's the standard model - Apple iPhones are one of literally thousands of examples where the announcement is made and advertising done prior to full product availability. Game consoles are another common area for this, (one year later and both the PS5 and Xbox One are still constrained) as are cars (new model years are advertised months before build/availability)

These are boutique products and as such, it's extremely difficult to assess sales volume. Covid purchasing trend changes only make it harder. No company of the size of Audeze can afford to gamble by building enough of their new TOTL product to service high initial demand.

Bottom line - people who want instant gratification are going to struggle as early adopters.

Oct 21, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #1,872 of 6,785
My idea - was a balanced approach. The company could make a reasonable estimate of initial sales in the first 3 months and make lets say 1/3 to 1/2 of them - ready to ship while being ramped up to male more depending on response. Again- Dan Clark did this... basic balancing act.. and did it well.

Oct 21, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #1,873 of 6,785
That we should appreciate the opportunity to forward $4500 USD towards an "unknown" delivery date "preorder".
That its fine to take hundreds of pre-orders. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ yet have very few available to ship and say...."oooops".

I dont agree....
I think that you should have the product available, especially when you are asking $4500 USD for each one.

I'm not really sure why this topic continues to clog up the thread. We get that a lot of people are dissatisfied with having to wait, but Audeze did it the way they did it, and complaining isn't going to change anything. If you don't like it, then either don't order the LCD-5 until it's widely available (or cancel your existing order), or buy a headphone this IS currently available instead.

Oct 21, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #1,875 of 6,785
I kind of consider the 4 a miracle product. Usually more full bodied sound has less detail but the 4 had the fullest sound possible with world class detail.

I wonder if Audeze in a LCD-4.5 version could keep everything the same while just cutting that dip in the upper midrange by just a few decibels- even if it harms bass weight a touch.
Yeah my idea is to test the detail capabilities of the headphone and how well they work with the Wavedream as its a very revealing piece, so with that I feel that the results would be interesting overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back