Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Oct 21, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #1,831 of 6,785
I think calling the LCD-4 muddy after listening to the LCD-5 is a bit much. LCD4 is one of the lowest distortion headphones in the world. It simply has a big depression in the upper mids/lower treble which makes it sound more subdued. I have EQed my LCD4 with fantastic results.

Audiophiles always seem to exaggerate the improvements with every new release. With EQ my guess is that the LCD4 and LCD5 will be very very close in performance.

@KMann can shed some light on this if he chooses.

For example my ''lowly'' HD800S from an RME ADI2 matches the detail levels of my SR009S (from the Carbon amp). The only big difference is in the bass where the electrostatic driver (with EQ ) has bottomless bass extension which the HD800S cannot match.
Hypothetically speaking, if one were to EQ LCD-4 to match LCD-5 in tonality, they are both equally transparent and resolving, but where LCD-5 will pull ahead is in clarity so some micro details come through better on LCD-5 than they do on LCD-4. LCD-5 also has a more natural soundstage (spherical) and more focused. LCD-4 has slightly more bass quantity than LCD-5 but LCD-5 has slightly better bass quality. LCD-5 is a bit more punchy in the mids. I would not call LCD-4 muddy with or without EQ if properly driven (but then I am biased)

Almost everything I describe above were a result of conscious effort we made to improve on LCD-4. The earpads play a big role in this to reduce reflections and so do the new magnetic circuit design that has increased spacing that improves imaging and clarity and the parallel uniforce trace patterns that not only help us reduce impedance but it also has added benifit of smoother treble also reduces the rigidity of the diaphragm.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #1,832 of 6,785
Hypothetically speaking, if one were to EQ LCD-4 to match LCD-5 in tonality, they are both equally transparent and resolving, but where LCD-5 will pull ahead is in clarity so some micro details come through better on LCD-5 than they do on LCD-4. LCD-5 also has a more natural soundstage (spherical) and more focused. LCD-4 has slightly more bass quantity than LCD-5 but LCD-5 has slightly better bass quality. LCD-5 is a bit more punchy in the mids. I would not call LCD-4 muddy with or without EQ if properly driven (but then I am biased)

Almost everything I describe above were a result conscious effort we made to improve on LCD-4. The earpads paly a big role in this to reduce reflections and so do the new magnetic circuit design that has increased spacing that improves imaging and clarity and the parallel uniforce trace patterns that not only helps us reduce impedance but it also has added benifit of smoother treble also reduces the rigidity of the diaphragm.
I still prefer the traditional LCD industrial design look though :)

Oct 21, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #1,833 of 6,785
Have you tried the burson soloist 3x with the LCD5?
We haven't tried that particular model, but we love the new Conductor Series, and can't wait for a sample of the new Soloist 3x GT. We just used the Conductor 3XR at the recent CanJam show.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Oct 21, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #1,837 of 6,785

Almost everything I describe above were a result of conscious effort we made to improve on LCD-4. The earpads play a big role in this to reduce reflections and so do the new magnetic circuit design that has increased spacing that improves imaging and clarity and the parallel uniforce trace patterns that not only help us reduce impedance but it also has added benifit of smoother treble also reduces the rigidity of the diaphragm.

Thanks for your thoughts and your honesty. I think the key word you have used is ''slightly''

Improvements at this level are very hard to come by which is why we have had a 6 year wait between LCD Flagships.

Also music does not have an infinite amount of ''detail'' and ''microdetail''. In my experience even an HD650 from a $200 amp gives you 95% of the detail in a recording.

Flagship planars from Audeze and Hifiman, the Focal Utopia and TOTL Electrostatics are able to extract all the detail there is to be had. The big differences in what I hear at this level are simply the difference in tonal balance and maybe bass quality based on the pad design, perfect/imperfect seal etc

What I find a bit silly is the following:

I bought my LCD5 and from my $1000 amp + $1000 DAC it sounded good.
I added a $4000 cable and I noticed a great increase in detail + clarity etc etc
Then I used a $8000 tube amp and a $10000 DAC and now finally I can hear everything on that recording made in 1965...... :D

It's a headphone guys. It's not a fictional spaceship that needs an anti-gravity drive to power it to faster than light speed.

I can guarantee you that not a single engineer at Audeze would ever say that a $4000 cable will make their headphone perform better than the cable they themselves designed for their flagship.

PS

Just wanted to add one more audiophile absurdity (maybe the best one of all)

The flagship drivers that Audeze carefully burnt in at headquarters then measured and remeasured for QC and then checked by ear by someone who knows EXACTLY what they should sound like and then shipped to me sounded ok/decent at first. After 100hrs of ''burn in'' in my system the sound signature and other audible aspects changed for the better (never for the worse :wink:).

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #1,839 of 6,785
Thanks for your thoughts and your honesty. I think the key word you have used is ''slightly''

Improvements at this level are very hard to come by which is why we have had a 6 year wait between LCD Flagships.

Also music does not have an infinite amount of ''detail'' and ''microdetail''. In my experience even an HD650 from a $200 amp gives you 95% of the detail in a recording.

Flagship planars from Audeze and Hifiman, the Focal Utopia and TOTL Electrostatics are able to extract all the detail there is to be had. The big differences in what I hear at this level are simply the difference in tonal balance and maybe bass quality based on the pad design, perfect/imperfect seal etc

What I find a bit silly is the following:

I bought my LCD5 and from my $1000 amp + $1000 DAC it sounded good.
I added a $4000 cable and I noticed a great increase in detail + clarity etc etc
Then I used a $8000 tube amp and a $10000 DAC and now finally I can hear everything on that recording made in 1965...... :D

It's a headphone guys. It's not a fictional spaceship that needs an anti-gravity drive to power it to faster than light speed.

I can guarantee you that not a single engineer at Audeze would ever say that a $4000 cable will make their headphone perform better than the cable they themselves designed for their flagship.
I admit. I'm terrified by reports of $1000+ cables that are often more expensive than headphones. This isn't the topic for this, but I would love more detailed research on cables and their performance and value.

Oct 21, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #1,840 of 6,785

may i know the cable please? :beyersmile: i love pushing my setup to further limits hehe :L3000:

Oct 21, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #1,841 of 6,785
I admit. I'm terrified by reports of $1000+ cables that are often more expensive than headphones. This isn't the topic for this, but I would love more detailed research on cables and their performance and value.

The research has been done (several times at least). The conclusions drawn from the research aren't very popular with headphone enthusiasts who like to purchase expensive cables.

Oct 21, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #1,842 of 6,785
the M-Sclaer add more Refinement, and clarity to the TT2 making it more controlled and smoother. i had Hugo TT2 Alone for very long time and even Hugo TT when it came out. M-Scaler made even my old recordings sound more refined thats to its upscaling ability.

without M-Scaler it think its not a huge issue, but ofc i really think Refinement, Clarity and Details are better big time that not having it. unless you dont want to play a lot to improve the details slightly. i listed to J-pop and honestly M-Scaler is a miracle that i always wish for.

that being said for its price, its not a must have. WA33 is a master at showing you what your DAC can do honestly.

Update: oh sorry i read that wrong will try to use it with TT2 Alone sometime later.
Did you ever pair M-Scaler with your original Hugo TT, or did you get the M-Scaler along with the TT2?

Oct 21, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #1,844 of 6,785
Did you ever pair M-Scaler with your original Hugo TT, or did you get the M-Scaler along with the TT2?
i sold it long time ago. that being Said Hugo TT2 is a huge improvement over TT1 regardless.

Oct 21, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #1,845 of 6,785
I wonder why Audeze did not first manufacture a few thousand LCD-5's and then announce their sale- so they could ship right away. What value is there in keeping us all waiting 6-8 weeks?

edit: I find it aggravating to wait. I would rather not know about them- even if it took another month or two to announce them but then when I placed my order have them shipped right away.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back