Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Oct 18, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #1,771 of 6,785
Hey.

If I will going to purchase this headphone and I have SP200 amp right now and going to purchase some device like a Chord Hugo 2 for example.. you think that is better for me or buy only dac right now (Qutest I think) and upgrade the amp sometime?

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #1,772 of 6,785
Hey.

If I will going to purchase this headphone and I have SP200 amp right now and going to purchase some device like a Chord Hugo 2 for example.. you think that is better for me or buy only dac right now (Qutest I think) and upgrade the amp sometime?
I would invest in a tube amp before a better dac. These things are highly amp dependent

Oct 18, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #1,773 of 6,785
Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #1,774 of 6,785
After 117 pages I believe the most important question has not been asked... Does the LCD-5 have the midrange Audeze Cream? All this talk of neutrality has me worried...

Completely agree! I think folks are saying the signature Audeze sound is there, but those recessed mids have come out of the shadows.

It sounds like the ideal improvement to me, I'll find out in a few weeks... Spending one last night with my 4s and then hopping on the 5 bandwagon.

Anyone who owns the LCD-5 care to comment?

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #1,776 of 6,785
Hey.

This a very difficult question to answer without knowing preferences and budget. Since you have mentioned two Chord DACs, it is possible you have a preference for transparency and not so much body. I try to match the quality of DAC with the quality of Amp. As the quality of DAC improves, it gets harder and harder to find an amp that would not hold the DAC back and at the same time add more of what you want (say body and slam). Hugo2 you mentioned is a my preferred DAC/amp at that price point. While adding an amp with a qutest can improve over H2, but in my opinion, you are still looking at spending more than the cost of Qutest to get there.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #1,777 of 6,785
Well, it looks like the Burson Conductor will be up for sale soon. I'm going to try the LCD-5s with a Audio-GD R28. Why? I wanted a DAC/Amp combo like the Burson and the R28 is a R2R DAC...never had one...and with a beefy headphone amp section.
Looking forward to it.
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends

PS - Yes, I'll try it with the Jot 2 too :wink: , but that will be kept for a different system.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #1,778 of 6,785
Does the McIntosh drive them to decent levels? I'm about to place an order at my local dealer. He can order them in but has none available on hand to demo
I believe it does. The MHA200 has a constant power delivery vs. some amps that need to ramp up for dynamic swings in the music so I suspect this helps it drive them well. As far as the sound synergy that will depend on your preferences as well as if you tube roll. I have been really enjoying it with the LCD-5. Where are you located?

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 19, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #1,779 of 6,785
Just some quick A/B listening to Melody Gardot this morning before my little munchkin wakes up. Hugo 2 2go vs. SP2000T with the LCD-5.

IMG_2076.JPG

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 19, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #1,780 of 6,785
I do not know. All these talks about measurements, targets, graphs... I get the idea of pursuing objectivity, but is objectivity not a mirage when it comes to summit-fi headphones? Witnessing all the different tastes in summit-fi, objectivity might be a mirage imo regardless how that Harman curve bends.
me too I do not care about measurements or all that harman curve talk, for me there is one rule for my purchases when they are in the 3-5k usd brackets, and that is how they sound as is, as I am not ready to pay 3-5k usd if that headphone still needs eq

for cheap up to 1k usd headphones to use an eq that's fine with me, but not for a 3-5k usd headphone, so I either like it as is or I will not pay 3-5k usd

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #1,781 of 6,785
me too I do not care about measurements or all that harman curve talk, for me there is one rule for my purchases when they are in the 3-5k usd brackets, and that is how they sound as is, as I am not ready to pay 3-5k usd if that headphone still needs eq

for cheap up to 1k usd headphones to use an eq that's fine with me, but not for a 3-5k usd headphone, so I either like it as is or I will not pay 3-5k usd
Actually there was very little Harman Curve talk, 3 posts to my count and two (mine). were an argument against it pointing out that it wasn’t what it was claiming. One of them rationally tried to explain why you might be interested in it. The rest of the talk is about measurement which is not the same as Harman Curve talk. Since Jude M who runs this site just went out and bought a measurement device which cost upwards of $40,000 he obviously finds something interesting about it and will undoubtably be talking more about measurement. And KMann who works at Audeze and knows a lot about product development there made several posts about measurements to point out the weakness of measurements or at least the weakness of current approaches. Sorry those posts didn’t appeal to you. KMann also gave info on how Audeze uses measurement which if you’re interested in the LCD 5 you might find interesting even if you don’t want to eq expensive HP. The big difference between Headfi and ASR is at ASR you have to be fully committed to measurement or you are hounded for being stupid and uninformed. Here at Headfi there is a much broader tolerance. Living in the UK I found nothing in the posts about avoiding US state sales tax. So I scrolled through them.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #1,782 of 6,785
Actually there was very little Harman Curve talk, 3 posts to my count and two (mine). were an argument against it pointing out that it wasn’t what it was claiming. One of them rationally tried to explain why you might be interested in it. The rest of the talk is about measurement which is not the same as Harman Curve talk. Since Jude M who runs this site just went out and bought a measurement device which cost upwards of $40,000 he obviously finds something interesting about it and will undoubtably be talking more about measurement. And KMann (and me) who made several posts about measurements, made those posts to point out the weakness of measurements or at least the weakness of current approaches to say anything very meaningful. Sorry those posts didn’t appeal to you. KMann also gave info on how Audeze uses measurement which if you’re interested in the LCD 5 you might find interesting even if you don’t want to eq expensive HP. The big difference between Headfi and ASR is at ASR you have to be fully committed to measurement or you are hounded for being stupid and uninformed. Here at Headfi there is a much broader tolerance. Living in the UK I found nothing in the posts about avoiding US state sales tax. So I scrolled through them.
the point I made was a general point of view, not directed to anyone specific. It was just a point I personally have, of course others have their own tolerances or acceptances to using eq. But for me I do not care bout measurements or harman curve, all I care for are how things sound, and using EQ is not for me if I have to pay 3-5k usd on a headphone

I adore my lcd4 and I am very tempted to hear the lcd5, I adore the creamy sound of lcd4 and really wonder if lcd5 would suit me, as I already have some hifiman headphones that offer me a different signature than lcd4

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #1,783 of 6,785
I adore my lcd4 and I am very tempted to hear the lcd5, I adore the creamy sound of lcd4 and really wonder if lcd5 would suit me, as I already have some hifiman headphones that offer me a different signature than lcd4
LCD-5 to me is a improved LCD-4, and at the same time different form the other headphones you mention. LCD-4 and LCD-5 are similar in bass through lower mids. But, you will hear more detail in the mids with LCD-5 than you did with LCD-4. Clarity and imaging has also improved on lCD-5.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #1,784 of 6,785
Can anyone who has heard these and the LCD-4z's compare the experience with the treble? Out of my V281, I had to send the LCD-4z back because of sibilance in certain scenarios which kept occurring. I could not EQ it out no matter how hard I tried so they had to go back because that piercing sharpness acted as a downgrade from my LCD-4's I couldn't handle. No such issues with my LCD-4 at all.

It's really important to me that piercing highs be avoided at all costs and would certainly not want to waste time on these if they are closer to the 4z in this respect than the standard LCD-4. Any insights would be appreciated.
My 4z do not exhibit any type of sibilance at all over many tens of thousands of listening hours, and many different genres. Using GSX-Mini and DENAFRIPS Ares II though, balanced. Maybe the audio components contributed to the treble issues?

Oct 19, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #1,785 of 6,785
My 4z do not exhibit any type of sibilance at all over many tens of thousands of listening hours, and many different genres. Using GSX-Mini and DENAFRIPS Ares II though, balanced. Maybe the audio components contributed to the treble issues?
my lcd4 as well never sounded sibilant at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back