Audeze LCD-4
Feb 1, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #2,296 of 11,994
  The X is the single best versatile for value TOTL can I've heard. How similar are your 2 X models? I know some people complain about quality control...

I was an early adopter of the X.  My old pair are one of the first production runs.  The new pair sounded very similar out of the box - maybe a tad less smooth but now with ~100 hours they are mellowing.  The biggest difference I noticed is the break-in of the leather ear pads.  The old pair are now very comfortable while the new pair are still a bit stiff on the head.  BTW, I upgraded both with the new carbon fiber head band that IMO is a big improvement.

Feb 1, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #2,297 of 11,994
Thanks so much for the answer! Good to hear, I know quality control has really been a focus recently for Audeze. You should consider the black microsuede pads as well for more comfort :wink:.

Feb 2, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #2,298 of 11,994
Thanks so much for the answer! Good to hear, I know quality control has really been a focus recently for Audeze. You should consider the black microsuede pads as well for more comfort
wink.gif

Cool man, thx for the tip.  Do you know if I can change the pads myself?

Feb 2, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #2,299 of 11,994
I would talk to audeze before ordering different pads. The lcd 4 is the only headphone in the lcd line with no pad selection option in the audeze store. That makes me wonder if it's pads are different if not in the type of leather but in the foam padding inside of them. Both can effect the sound signature.

Feb 2, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #2,300 of 11,994

Cool man, thx for the tip.  Do you know if I can change the pads myself?

https://www.audeze.com/padschange judge for yourself :D.

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #2,301 of 11,994
While waiting for the new headband to arrive, I modified the existing headband to make sure the suspension strap is actually acting like a suspension strap (and the carbon fiber isn't resting on my head).  Since I did this, the weight hasn't been a problem whatsoever.  Then again, the overall weight was never a problem for me, just the hot spots.

I'm curious, you mentioned modifying the LCD-4 headband while waiting on another. So is Audeze offering a headband that actually suspends and not touches the carbon fiber?

Also could you post how you modified with pictures?

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #2,302 of 11,994
I'm curious, you mentioned modifying the LCD-4 headband while waiting on another. So is Audeze offering a headband that actually suspends and not touches the carbon fiber?

Also could you post how you modified with pictures?

It's obvious how to modify once you remove the 8 screws.  Just pull the leather down 1/4" on each side and trim it and make new screw holes in it.  Looks factory and very simple.  If you have plenty of room on your yoke rods, you can do 1/2" on each side.  Here are some pics of the finished product (it's amazing how dusty everything looks with flash):

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #2,303 of 11,994
  I'm sorry but how many times you've heard about unit defects from Sennheiser, AKG, Audio Technica, Focal, Fostex.. etc etc..?

Any thread on Head-Fi called HD800/TH900/HE1000/..... driver failure?

The statistics of unit defects of Audeze is just not comparable to other manufactures.

Not even close.

I don't think you've read his post very carefully. Your positions are similar. 

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #2,304 of 11,994
Thanks so much for the answer! Good to hear, I know quality control has really been a focus recently for Audeze. You should consider the black microsuede pads as well for more comfort
wink.gif

OK @jodgey4, after I wrote my previous post, I went back and A/Bed the two pair of X.  I was wrong...the old pair sound much mellower.  Not as bright, as I wrote before, but the entire sound stage is more reference/flat.  Better sound w/ the old pair.  They must have 400 hours, while the new pair are 100 hours.  FYI.  

Sorry to the LCD-4 folks, realize I'm on the wrong thread here...but maybe the break-in could apply to the "4" as well.

Cheers,
RCB

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #2,306 of 11,994
  Just got a call from my dealer.  They have arrived.
Can't wait to go and pick them up. Hopefully they won't disappoint at the $4800 Canadian I plunked down for them.

good luck.
3450 USD as of now.
that's a great deal.

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #2,307 of 11,994
I am still waiting for a call from my dealer telling me my pair is on its way...it has been a long wait and i hope the wait is worth it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back