Audeze LCD-4
Jan 29, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #2,266 of 11,986
  Any comments of the SR007 (any version) with the Carbon? Thanks in advance.

Both my 007s sound excellent with the Carbon. The Mk1 is purportedly a power hog, and that may be true. I have not sat and done a track-by-track comparison with the two, but the Mk1 does seem to require a little more power. The Carbon has more than ample power to drive both to ear-splitting levels. I have not done any modding of my 007 cans, but I plan to. The Mk1 seems to have more bass oomph than either the mk2 or the 009. I am on the fence whether this is better bass or not. At the risk of sounding like a salesman, I have yet to hear anything "bad" out of the Carbon. Just a superb amp. 

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #2,268 of 11,986

I've found that LCD pads are hot for the first few hours, but once they break in a little, at least for me, the problem goes away.

The weight bothers some people.  Personally, I've never found the LCD3s to feel as heavy as the number suggest - I guess I'm luck that they fit me well.

While waiting for the new headband to arrive, I modified the existing headband to make sure the suspension strap is actually acting like a suspension strap (and the carbon fiber isn't resting on my head).  Since I did this, the weight hasn't been a problem whatsoever.  Then again, the overall weight was never a problem for me, just the hot spots.

Please pardon my envy in you guys handling heavy gear like that without much trouble. Its like when you go to the gym, feel a bit accomplished at your sets and the smaller guy after you lifts about 10 kgs more than your max limits. Its not so much envy rather an unpleasant surprise. With me, comfort is the highest priority soon after with sound quality, its in that order as I tend to travel a lot with my gear and meh if its inconvenient, you psychologically tend to use it less. 

If you have never used the LCD's before, the first 2 weeks is like torture, but with some adjustments, you get used to them. I was going to sell my LCD3F because I thought it was impossible to live with, I am sure glad I didn't because it doesn't bother me at all now. I found I had to stretch the headband quite a lot to reduce the pressure on the side of my head and it also reduced the high vacuum effect you get with Audeze leather pads, inserting the foam rings stopped the fazors touching my ears too so no more heat at all now. The carbon fibre headband on the LCD4 should also reduce the hot spot on top. I am not exactly sure what is causing your ears to heat up because when I tested the LCD4, the headband pressure was perfect but it might be too tight on some LCD4's on some people.

So this got me thinking... how does one go about stretching the carbon fibre headband, is it even possible like it was with the steel one?

On the other matter regarding LCD4 driver failures, I hope it is just a glitch in the matrix for a new product. Luckily I haven't had any driver failures thus far but with all the horror stories around here, every time I pick up my LCD3F I am hoping it has not died. I thought upgrading to the LCD4 could have also fixed that feeling for me but with reports of driver failures already and with no feedback from Audeze, sadly I don't have much confidence these days and this could possibly be a repeat of the LCD3 fiasco. I think I will wait a year or so while I still have warranty left on the LCD3F and let the guinea pigs test out the LCD4 first. 1 or 2 failures I could probably put up with on the LCD4 since it is so great sounding but 3, 4 or 5 (as was common with the LCD3) is pushing the friendship. I think it is just too risky to jump in right now for such an expensive hp $6399AUD, maybe I would if I was in the US.

Portability is the name of the game for me - I am currently travelling to work and home with the following:

Travel Kit: Plenue 1, AK 380 + Amp, Beyerdynamic T1 V2 (used at work), JH layla during driving and a Hugo for good measure. 

Although the LCD 4 has a much warmer sound which can be differentiated upon hearing (and not analytically listening) from the T1s, the practicalities of it all and the economics of travelling with the financial equivalent of a small brand new car is not that appealing. 

Some of you guys have some really odd reactions to headphones man

Its the overall value perception (not in the financial sense) of a headphones - These cans look stunning, sound is pretty good but ultimately they cause me pain. The latter would be a serious consideration if one were to use it long term and not have the ability to habituate to the discomfort. Its clear that the adaptation to the LCDs is not necessarily a universal expectation from its users.

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #2,269 of 11,986
All I can say is these are not just an evolutionary step up from the LCD3, it's a way-different headphone. There is wonderful bloom without glare. It is supremely natural at all frequencies. The bass has extreme power and grace at the same time. It's full of life yet totally composed. It gets all the hard things right, like Piano, vocals, strings. 
I've been listening mostly with Tidal FWIW. No EQ or anything. DAC is Chord Hugo TT. Having great fun with Chuck Berry, the Definitive Collection on Tidal. 'extraordinary headphone. Not your father's Audeze.

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #2,271 of 11,986
Echoing earlier comments, but those cans look gorgeous. + 1 I hope they have improved reliablity to go with their looks & presumably better sound. I'd love to audition a pair of these with a good cable like Crystal & a Viva Egoista headphone amp. One day!
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 30, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #2,272 of 11,986
  IF this is the case they probably need to find a different diaphragm material.

Regarding driver issues: The LCD-4 is a new product with cutting-edge film technology. We’ve experienced some issues with suppliers, but these were resolved fairly quickly and we can now achieve even greater performance and reliability. So we’ve decided on something new for the industry – we’re giving our LCD-4 customers any improvements we make at no charge. We’ll contact them when an update is ready to implement, pay the freight both ways, and do the mod(s). This will be in effect for the entire 3-year driver warranty period. Audeze realizes the LCD-4 is a substantial investment for our customers, and this new LCD-4 program helps protect that investment. Audeze really appreciates our customers’ patience.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jan 30, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #2,273 of 11,986

Regarding driver issues: The LCD-4 is a new product with cutting-edge film technology. We’ve experienced some issues with suppliers, but these were resolved fairly quickly and we can now achieve even greater performance and reliability. So we’ve decided on something new for the industry – we’re giving our LCD-4 customers any improvements we make at no charge. We’ll contact them when an update is ready to implement, pay the freight both ways, and do the mod(s). This will be in effect for the entire 3-year driver warranty period. Audeze realizes the LCD-4 is a substantial investment for our customers, and this new LCD-4 program helps protect that investment. Audeze really appreciates our customers’ patience.

Awesome! As an extremely early adopter (e.g. the first one), this gives me much more peace of mind and comfort with my investment.

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #2,275 of 11,986
 IF this is the case they probably need to find a different diaphragm material.

Very encouraging new policy. Once I get the chance to audition one, and assuming I like it as much as I expect to, that will make ordering a lot more comfortable.

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #2,277 of 11,986
Thanks @Audeze

I appreciate the peace of mind..  Excellent company. 

Jan 31, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #2,279 of 11,986

http://youtu.be/WSB7QpldGTQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back