Audeze LCD-4
Jul 20, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #9,406 of 11,995
You would certainly think that if all seems to go well that there will be more made...makes no since to spend on R&D to only produce 67 units for sale.
I am definitely on the stay tuned wagon :)
I hope so

would be a shame if I had the chance yesterday and just assumed there would be more and be wrong

Jul 20, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #9,407 of 11,995
Jul 20, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #9,408 of 11,995
Yes, was hesitant to post in LCD-4 thread as its off-topic..but everyone's got rabies for LCD-R last 24 hours..haha.
It came.
It went.

Jul 20, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #9,409 of 11,995
I don’t think a new thread for 67 owners is needed. Lol

Jul 21, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #9,411 of 11,995
Jul 22, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #9,413 of 11,995
LCD-R impressions.
Lucked out and got S/N # 01.
Chain: Holo May L2 + Pass Labs Aleph P + jotenheim A?
(I will likely try other amps in the future but for now just the jot)

First thing I noticed, besides how amazing they look, was the timbre.
These are the kings of timbre out of every headphone I’ve heard so far. (The Holo May DAC is known for excellent timbre too, but these have the most timbre out of everything I’ve heard on the May)

The overall sound is intimate, lively and there’s tons of timbre. It’s detailed yet super smooth so it’s doesn’t feel like estat detailed… the sound is more full, and it’s just pure timbre. It’s closer to planar.

bass is a little lacking for my taste, but that could be the jotenheim’s fault. It’s just a tad under what I would expect for bass impact, bass timbre is good.
imo, he1000 and susvara have best bass.

mids are great and the timbre is best heard in the mids.

treble: while using known sibilant test tracks (from goldensound’s suggestions) they sounded slightly sibilant as expected. On test tracks that are known to be on the edge of sibilant but aren’t, they didn’t sound sibilant at all…. So passing grade from me.

Overall tonality is pretty good, no major complaints.

Stage is intimate, smaller than he1000. LCD-R is kind of in your face but it’s so smooth that it is still inviting……I guess I’m trying to say they did intimate well.

Detail is hard to judge because of how smooth it is, but it’s definitely good.
It’s not like an estat because the timbre has more oomph

emotion is very good.

comfort is good, you can feel the clamp but it doesn’t feel like a 600gram headphone.

Final words: they do have an addictive sound even though the stage is small.
I normall prefer extremely large stages but this will compliment Voce and Susvara well.

It’s hard to decide if I like these over he1000v1. I think he1000v1 wins on paper from a technical perspective but lcd-r is more lively, which makes them more fun to listen to IMO.

Susvara is still the best overall IMO but lcd-r beats susvara timbre imo.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #9,414 of 11,995
@-HaVoC-Tzu- Were they capable of faithfully portraying dynamics? I also wonder if speed of those drivers is on par with what one would associate with ribbon transducers? S/N 01..... It might become a novelty item with age.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #9,415 of 11,995
LCD-R impressions.
Lucked out and got S/N # 01.
Chain: Holo May L2 + Pass Labs Aleph P + jotenheim A?
(I will likely try other amps in the future but for now just the jot)

First thing I noticed, besides how amazing they look, was the timbre.
These are the kings of timbre out of every headphone I’ve heard so far. (The Holo May DAC is known for excellent timbre too, but these have the most timbre out of everything I’ve heard on the May)

The overall sound is intimate, lively and there’s tons of timbre. It’s detailed yet super smooth so it’s doesn’t feel like estat detailed… the sound is more full, and it’s just pure timbre. It’s closer to planar.

bass is a little lacking for my taste, but that could be the jotenheim’s fault. It’s just a tad under what I would expect for bass impact, bass timbre is good.
imo, he1000 and susvara have best bass.

mids are great and the timbre is best heard in the mids.

treble: while using known sibilant test tracks (from goldensound’s suggestions) they sounded slightly sibilant as expected. On test tracks that are known to be on the edge of sibilant but aren’t, they didn’t sound sibilant at all…. So passing grade from me.

Overall tonality is pretty good, no major complaints.

Stage is intimate, smaller than he1000. LCD-R is kind of in your face but it’s so smooth that it is still inviting……I guess I’m trying to say they did intimate well.

Detail is hard to judge because of how smooth it is, but it’s definitely good.
It’s not like an estat because the timbre has more oomph

emotion is very good.

comfort is good, you can feel the clamp but it doesn’t feel like a 600gram headphone.

Final words: they do have an addictive sound even though the stage is small.
I normall prefer extremely large stages but this will compliment Voce and Susvara well.

It’s hard to decide if I like these over he1000v1. I think he1000v1 wins on paper from a technical perspective but lcd-r is more lively, which makes them more fun to listen to IMO.

Susvara is still the best overall IMO but lcd-r beats susvara timbre imo.
So are you references only He1000 and Susvara?

Could you clarify as well, do you own Susvara or have you only heard it in passing?

Trying to frame the context of your impressions.

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #9,416 of 11,995
@-HaVoC-Tzu- Were they capable of faithfully portraying dynamics? I also wonder if speed of those drivers is on par with what one would associate with ribbon transducers? S/N 01..... It might become a novelty item with age.
They aren’t dynamic in the way that estats are because of their smoothness.
There is significantly less decay than Estats.

I prefer lcd-r over lambda-signature which has extreme dynamics.

They are less dynamic than he-1000v1, but the mids timbre is much better.
These are not as good for critical listening, they are very good for enjoyment.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #9,417 of 11,995
So are you references only He1000 and Susvara?

Could you clarify as well, do you own Susvara or have you only heard it in passing?

Trying to frame the context of your impressions.
I have a lot of headphones to reference from, take a look at my profile, and let me know what you would like me to compare it to.
(LCD-4 is not in my list but I have heard it, lcd-r is much more lively than lcd-4 and the stage is also smaller)

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #9,418 of 11,995
I have a lot of headphones to reference from, take a look at my profile, and let me know what you would like me to compare it to.
(LCD-4 is not in my list but I have heard it, lcd-r is much more lively than lcd-4 and the stage is also smaller)
Ok the LS is your stat reference. So no Omega/007/009 experience? I don't find Voce a very good headphone.

Would you equate the LCD-R stage presentation more similar to a Utopia considering the use of intimate?

As well, it's not clear as to what are you driving your dynamic/planar references with?

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #9,419 of 11,995
Ok the LS is your stat reference. So no Omega/007/009 experience? I don't find Voce a very good headphone.

Would you equate the LCD-R stage presentation more similar to a Utopia considering the use of intimate?

As well, it's not clear as to what are you driving your dynamic/planar references with?
The most impressive headphone I’ve heard so far is Voce on BHSE Dave macaler.
One of the worst headphones I’ve heard so far was also the Voce on a Hifiman energizer.
The chain matters a lot for the Voce.

Stage on LCD-R (on jotenheim) is closer to 6xx stage than Utopia. But imagine a 6xx that actually sounds really good.

I do have several chains but my main chain for headphones is Holo May L2 + pass labs Aleph P + Moon 430HA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back