Audeze LCD-4
Dec 17, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #2,011 of 11,994
Dec 17, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #2,012 of 11,994
Not a fan of gold things particularly. That's a significant regression looks wise for me, but I'm sure someone will want it.

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #2,013 of 11,994
  Had anyone else noticed that when you put on and take off the headphones, that you get a "crunchy plastic sound"? 

This seems to be the sound of movement of the driver's diaphragm when there is a sudden change in air pressure within the ear cup.  Pushing the phones toward your head when the pads are completely seated can cause this, and you may feel the change in pressure on your eardrums. This seal is important to the bass response. Your ear provides one side of the seal and the diaphragm seals the other side, so movement causes the material of the diaphragm to crinkle.  Some dynamic drivers do this, also some in-ear monitors.

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #2,014 of 11,994
I expect I'll do the same when I get the LCD-4, keeping only a closed pair to complement them (my Ether C probably leading the pack there so far).

I love my LCD-4's, sold all of my other headphones due to lack of use. 

Lucky you.
wink.gif
 I wish I could stand the weight of the LCDs and enjoy their sound like you do, but... I have always found the LCD too UNconfortable to be able to enjoy them despite their very good sound.  I sold my LCD-X for this reason despite the fact that I likes it's sound (I even bought the "large headband" designed by a headfier, but it did not helped a lot).

Am I the only one with this (UN)confort problem ??? 
confused.gif

Dec 17, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #2,015 of 11,994

I was trying to be diplomatic...but here goes:

In no particular order :

SR-009
LCD-4
HE1000
HE Edition X
LCD-X
LCD-3
HD800
HE-6
T1 Generation 2
SR-007Mk1

Top three are as I mentioned before. 

I would be interested in your comparison of the HE-X and LCD-X since the prices are very similar.
Thanks, and sorry if this is a redundant request.

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #2,016 of 11,994

I expect I'll do the same when I get the LCD-4, keeping only a closed pair to complement them (my Ether C probably leading the pack there so far).

I love my LCD-4's, sold all of my other headphones due to lack of use. 

Lucky you.
wink.gif
 I wish I could stand the weight of the LCDs and enjoy their sound like you do, but... I have always found the LCD too UNconfortable to be able to enjoy them despite their very good sound.  I sold my LCD-X for this reason despite the fact that I likes it's sound (I even bought the "large headband" designed by a headfier, but it did not helped a lot).

Am I the only one with this (UN)confort problem ??? 
confused.gif

The comfort difference is stark between my LCD2.2 and my HD700 or the Ether. However, the SQ is unique making it worth the effort. For what it is worth, at the Seattle meet a couple weekends ago, I put on a local member's LCD and it was as comfortable as hell. Too a second look at it and it had some sort of strap inside the headband that made it sit perfect on my head feeling weightless. That setup compares to my HD700 and the Ether in comfort to my surprise. Needless to say, I found out where he got it and ordered one. Problem solved.

For $39, it is a no brainer - I assume that it would work for the new LCD4 headband as well, but I would ask first. While the 4 is more comfortable than my 2, it is not as comfortable as the LCD2 with a strap. Can you see it in this picture - it is not ugly as I pictured something like this would be? For anyone that cares - http://www.head-fi.org/t/766559/head-cushion-strap-for-audeze-hifiman-fostex-t50-rp

Dec 17, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #2,017 of 11,994
Thanks. I'm considering trading in my Marantz HD-Dac1 and Audeze LCD-3 for a chord Hugo tt and Audeze lcd-4. When I use my Marantz I set it on medium gain and with the lcd 3's generally have the volume at 25% and by 50% it's almost too loud to listen to. I know the chord doesn't have a gain control and someone mentioned the volume is digital or something like that so a gain control is not necessary? When you use the LCD-4s with the Hugo tt on a stand alone basis how would you describe the volume? I know it uses a lighting spectrum but within the lighting spectrum are you similarly at 25-50% or are you basically maxing it out when you listen to it. Thanks for the feedback!!

The Hugo TT can get the LCD-4s damn loud...too loud to listen to actually, so I wouldn't worry about head-room.

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #2,018 of 11,994
LCD-4 compared to HE-1000

With Silver Spore4 cable by DHC

Impressions:

Most striking characteristic:
LCD-4 - Rich and dense tone, much more coherent sounding than LCD3-F.
HE-1000 - Air and space, more 3D, very fast and nimble.  Has very comfortably replaced my SR-009 due to better tonal balance.

Presentation:
LCD-4 - dark and laid back
HE-1000 - light/airy and laid back

Treble:  HE-1000 > LCD-4
Treble with HE-1000 more extended, more ethereal and better layered, enthralling sense of air.
LCD-4 much improved over LCD-3F but still not in the same league as HE-1000.

Midrange:  LCD-4 > HE-1000
Nobody does midrange better than Audeze.  Rich and lush.  Vocals are to die for.  This is where the magic happens for this headphone.  HE-1000 also very good, just not LCD-4 good.

Bass:  LCD-4 = HE-1000
LCD-4 is like a 12 inch subwoofer and the HE-1000 is like a 10 inch subwoofer.  LCD-4 has more heft and presence especially in the midbass while HE-1000 provides more definition and finesse.  Both extend satisfyingly low.  Bass on HE-1000 doesn't show up unless driven by authoritative amp but with right amp, bass is no less satisfying.  LCD-4 seems less picky, maybe because of larger magnet and higher sensitivity.  Bass on HE-1000 better for classical, bass on LCD-4 better for rock.

Transparency:  HE-1000 > LCD-4
LCD-4 much improved compared to previous LCDs but HE-1000 still more transparent.  Neither are as transparent as SR-009.

Energy:  LCD-4 > HE-1000
LCD-4 with more forward presence although not at Abyss level.  HE-1000 seems thinner in comparison but certainly not lackluster when driven by amp with authority.  

Fatiguability: HE-1000 = LCD-4
Despite more forward presence, LCD-4 easy to listen to.  No annoying frequency issues noticeable so far.

Comfort (Physical):  HE-1000 > LCD-4
The LCD-4 is noticeably heavier and with less comfortable clamping pressure.  I prefer the softer pads on the HE-1000.

Physical Appearance and fit/finish:  LCD-4 >> HE-1000
Time will tell how well the LCD-4 holds up but it seems well built.  I am on my second pair of HE-1000s due to manufacturing issue with headstrap although experience with customer service was excellent.  LCD-4 is the most beautiful headphone I've ever seen.  Cocobolo wood is exquisite, chrome grill very tasteful and all contrast well with carbon fiber head strap.  This one's the belle of the ball.

Best for:
I prefer LCD-4 for pop/rock/EDM and HE-1000 for classical/jazz.  For vocals, I could be happy with either.  Vocals on LCD-4 are richer while on HE-1000, vocals are better textured and more nuanced.  LCD-4 may be a better for for big tubes (300B) while HE-1000 may pair better with smaller tubes (45s, 2A3s) but certainly not mutually exclusive.

In Summary:
Both are worthy of flagship status for their respective manufacturers.  Both are well executed designs and both excel in producing an enjoyable and engaging listening experience for hours on end.  HE-1000 seems more picky about amp to sound its best but both deserve amps that put out plenty of current.  Both scale very well with the equipment you place before them.  At this level, as with most things, it comes down to personal preference.  The two complement each other well.
how does the spore4 improve lcd4 and he1000's sound. Is it better on he1000 or lcd4?

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #2,020 of 11,994
I love Q-Cables for all my Audezes  :wink: 
They don't change the sound, and they are so light, ergonomic, and have zero microphonics.

Dec 18, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #2,021 of 11,994
  It looks like I have an LCD-4 driver failure guys
confused_face.gif

This is disconcerting, and very discouraging to prospective LCD-4 buyers....

I thought Audeze traced the LCD-3 failures to some defective films previous and has since changed suppliers, meaning the new LCD-4s should be free of this plight...

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #2,023 of 11,994
Dec 18, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #2,024 of 11,994
Do you know what page this quote is about the LCD4 failure? I can't find it.

It was in the 2-3 pages.

EDIT: Yep, post 1981. Easiest way to find it, like most things, is not via Head-Fi internal search, but via Google search plugging your search query and then the thread url after "site:".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back