Audeze LCD-4
Nov 23, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #1,741 of 11,995

Maybe it's a mistype and he owns them both, not won them both.  If jlbrach did win them both (congrats if you did), I need to find out where they have those kind of door prizes and get myself to better events!

Must have been Super CanJam in Dubai.

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #1,742 of 11,995
i own them both,i didnt win them sadly!

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #1,743 of 11,995
Was checking out Audeze website really looking for perhaps the new suspension headband for my LCD-X/XC and took a closer look at their line of microphones... wow!

They seem to be revolutionizing the recording space with these planar mics especially that tetrahedral.  Any recording artists or engineers out there taken a look at these or have any thoughts about them?  Wouldn't it be awesome if the next album you purchase was recorded using Audeze mics? 

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #1,744 of 11,995
  Was checking out Audeze website really looking for perhaps the new suspension headband for my LCD-X/XC and took a closer look at their line of microphones... wow!

They seem to be revolutionizing the recording space with these planar mics especially that tetrahedral.  Any recording artists or engineers out there taken a look at these or have any thoughts about them?  Wouldn't it be awesome if the next album you purchase was recorded using Audeze mics? 

At that price I don't see a lot of studio that might be able to buy it.
But I'd like to hear a bass record with it while a lot of bass are directly record in the desk these days.
But if the bass is like their headphones it might be interesting.
Voices might be interesting too.

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #1,746 of 11,995
  yeah, well i assumed a real studio doesn't care about a few extra dollars if it gives them a better output, Qin -> Qout

Well studios are not what they used to be.
And microphone is not always a question of quality but rather a question of sound/coloration.
The sm57 is one of the cheapest mic on the market but it is sometimes exactly what you need.

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #1,747 of 11,995
yeah, well i assumed a real studio doesn't care about a few extra dollars if it gives them a better output, Qin -> Qout
Uh yeah... Most new music is recorded with ProTools. I would be willing to bet only audiophile labels will end using these mics

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #1,748 of 11,995

Came across this earlier today from the positive-feedback site on the AES 2015 show:

Worst New Product

Audeze makes some excellent headphones with ingenious planar drivers, hand built and very good sounding. However, someone there decided to take one of their drivers and put it into a microphone body and sell it as a microphone. In spite of the principle of reciprocity there are a number of serious limitations with this approach resulting in a distinct lack of high end and a figure-8 pattern that really doesn't have a usable null. By all means try the headphones, but avoid the mikes.

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #1,749 of 11,995

Came across this earlier today from the positive-feedback site on the AES 2015 show:

shame, would like to hear a recording made by both the audeze and something considered studio standard.  I have a feeling it is meant for a certain type of recording, not everything or apparently anything requiring a directional mic.

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #1,750 of 11,995
  Any thoughts on the LCD-4 and the Headamp GS-Xmk2

Brilliant! But make sure you have your source/DAC worked out. The GS-X Mk2 will not colour the sound to your preference. But together this is one AWESOME combination...truly endgame territory!

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #1,752 of 11,995
Auralic Aries in an excellent streaming source of your library is digital. Schiit Yggdrasil is the best DAC I've heard for the money.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #1,753 of 11,995

Any thoughts on the source/DAC 

I would go for a neutral/natural DAC or source. Something treble tilted will only come through..I would stay away from Sabre based DACs for the most part (but not all share the upper mids/lower treble) "glare" or "shout". With the GS-X Mk2 / LCD-4s....garbage in = garbage out. And I would recommend making sure that you consider the entire chain as both the amp and headphones can be very revealing. 
smile.gif

The Metrum Hex was very good with this combination and the Chord Hugo TT is spectacular!

Nov 24, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #1,755 of 11,995
Regarding the feedback that the Mojo needed to be at full volume with the LCD-4 - checked today and Mojo does 250mW into 100ohm. The LCD-4 needs 100mW of power to hit 120dB.

No wonder my impression was that I had plenty of volume headroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back